PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Last night it was Old Fitzgerald 11yr. Fall 2021 edition.

View attachment 230790

This morning it’s a 50/50 cup of Buffalo Trace bourbon cream and coffee.

Cheers!

View attachment 230791
Damn - 50/50 haha. I know what you mean. That stuff is so dangerously delicious. I used to have this stuff mulled back from KY before they sold it here in PA. It quickly escalated from splashing my coffee to drinking a small glass of it chilled, with an ice cube. Truly a delight.

• Love
Reactions: Tar Wheel and Zero

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Titos, rocks
Haven’t been drinking much other than mint water and unsweetened black tea due to all this heat. But I’m sitting on a handle + a fifth of Tito’s. I think today I’ll break the fifth down into some small mason jars and make a few infusions that will ultimately go into some Bloody Marys when my folks visit. The recent balance of sun and rain has my herbs looking super-vibrant. Thyme, basil, Thai basil, chervil, oregano. And by the time my folks visit I should have plenty of tomatoes and hot peppers to create the juice component. I love Tito’s. Best value in vodka probably

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Haven’t been drinking much other than mint water and unsweetened black tea due to all this heat. But I’m sitting on a handle + a fifth of Tito’s. I think today I’ll break the fifth down into some small mason jars and make a few infusions that will ultimately go into some Bloody Marys when my folks visit. The recent balance of sun and rain has my herbs looking super-vibrant. Thyme, basil, Thai basil, chervil, oregano. And by the time my folks visit I should have plenty of tomatoes and hot peppers to create the juice component. I love Tito’s. Best value in vodka probably
I used to infuse my own liquor and make liqueurs. If I recall, herbs don't take too long to infuse and can turn bitter fast.

I primarily used fruits, but also made some other concoctions (like a Christmas spice and one with mint).

Didn't realize anyone else on the forum did the same.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I used to infuse my own liquor and make liqueurs. If I recall, herbs don't take too long to infuse and can turn bitter fast.

I primarily used fruits, but also made some other concoctions (like a Christmas spice and one with mint).

Didn't realize anyone else on the forum did the same.
Thanks for tips Amish. I will checking it every IMG_0891.jpegday starting tomorrow, extracting a sample with an eye dropper. I don’t really like sweet liquor but I could see trying a small batch with my red currants. Do you have an ideal extraction time for an herb-based one? I’d imagine 4-5 days max, possibly less.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Thanks for tips Amish. I will checking it every View attachment 232090day starting tomorrow, extracting a sample with an eye dropper. I don’t really like sweet liquor but I could see trying a small batch with my red currants. Do you have an ideal extraction time for an herb-based one? I’d imagine 4-5 days max, possibly less.
I reviewed my notes (I kept recipes and some tips from a professional on a now defunct food forum that doesn't allow access anymore - what a waste of knowledge, recipes, and stories).

Unfortunately, I didn't keep any notes regarding fresh herbs, but recall the herbs get bitter around 3 to 5 days (so your timing and plan with the dropper is spot on). Then remove herbs and ideally let mature/mellow for about 1 month.

A little citric is needed for balance and other reasons (preservation of color), which doesn't disrupt the flavor. A teaspoon of lemon juice is common since lemon is least likely to disrupt (but lime and grapefruit is common depending on flavor profile(. I always used a pinch of sugar (sometimes white, others brown or a mixture) for balance too, but it is not necessary.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I reviewed my notes (I kept recipes and some tips from a professional on a now defunct food forum that doesn't allow access anymore - what a waste of knowledge, recipes, and stories).

Unfortunately, I didn't keep any notes regarding fresh herbs, but recall the herbs get bitter around 3 to 5 days (so your timing and plan with the dropper is spot on). Then remove herbs and ideally let mature/mellow for about 1 month.

A little citric is needed for balance and other reasons (preservation of color), which doesn't disrupt the flavor. A teaspoon of lemon juice is common since lemon is least likely to disrupt (but lime and grapefruit is common depending on flavor profile(. I always used a pinch of sugar (sometimes white, others brown or a mixture) for balance too, but it is not necessary.
That’s interesting about the maturation time I didn’t even ponder that. Not a problem though. Could I throw in, say a 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid from my canning supplies, or is fresh lemon preferred? (I also have lemon essential oil if a few drops of that would work). I do not consume sugar so I’m glad that’s unnecessary.

incidentally for a sweeter Tito’s drink pulverize some mint, basil, lemongrass and a cold watermelon into a slushie. It’s like a Slurpee for adults I love it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
That’s interesting about the maturation time I didn’t even ponder that. Not a problem though. Could I throw in, say a 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid from my canning supplies, or is fresh lemon preferred? (I also have lemon essential oil if a few drops of that would work). I do not consume sugar so I’m glad that’s unnecessary.

incidentally for a sweeter Tito’s drink pulverize some mint, basil, lemongrass and a cold watermelon into a slushie. It’s like a Slurpee for adults I love it.
Fresh lemon juice is preferred. I've used the bottled juice when infusing fresh, frozen, and dried fruits without I'll effect. Also, the teaspoon amount is meant for a full fifth, so just a splash is needed when using smaller jars.

Of course, please try longer if the herb flavor doesn't "take" (perhaps a small sample to see the effect after 5 days). Using extracts are almost instant but making your own vanilla extract takes up to a year. You're just looking for a lightish flavor, not juice.

I just seem to recall fruit taking about 1 month, herbs taking less than a week, and jalapeños taking a few hours or a day before providing diminished returns. Then mellow for a month or transform into a liqueur and wait another month or two.