PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Celebrating with my most expensive scotch (not saying much, I’m not that fancy) - a glass of Balvenie 14 Week of Peat. My company had some restructures and layoffs this spring that ballooned my KPIs rather dramatically, and as a consequence I’ve spent from April to now trying to close the gap. As of today, I’m finally ahead of the curve, and the weight has lifted.

I’m getting sauced. Dark and stormies later!

Also, that bottle of Heaven Hill Mellow Corn posted earlier has a label that really clicks with me. I need to see about finding a bottle of it somewhere. There’s something really wonderful about the color and artwork to me. Maybe the comfort of a warm retro color choice. I’ll leave it to smarter folks to figure out why it makes my neurons light up looking at it.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Celebrating with my most expensive scotch (not saying much, I’m not that fancy) - a glass of Balvenie 14 Week of Peat. My company had some restructures and layoffs this spring that ballooned my KPIs rather dramatically, and as a consequence I’ve spent from April to now trying to close the gap. As of today, I’m finally ahead of the curve, and the weight has lifted.

I’m getting sauced. Dark and stormies later!

Also, that bottle of Heaven Hill Mellow Corn posted earlier has a label that really clicks with me. I need to see about finding a bottle of it somewhere. There’s something really wonderful about the color and artwork to me. Maybe the comfort of a warm retro color choice. I’ll leave it to smarter folks to figure out why it makes my neurons light up looking at it.
It does look retro, good use of color, good graphic design overall. It’s also a very approachable spirit. And inexpensive. Congratulations on work going well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was having lunch with my wife, a cooked rice with cilantro and grilled chicken, and I was left with this magnificent beer, with a wonderful taste. A Belgian beer.View attachment 242571
If Belgians are famous for one thing, it has to be their beer. Some of those brewed by the Trappist monks are truly world class beers.

Regards,

Jay.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If Belgians are famous for one thing, it has to be their beer. Some of those brewed by the Trappist monks are truly world class beers.

Regards,

Jay.
Hello dear friend Jay. That's right, I'm no expert on this, but heck, my palate loves it. This one in particular, lager at 7.5% vol. It's easy to swallow. Smooth, but with personality. I'm with you my friend. Greetings, and a big hug from Spain.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I enjoyed the second of my 3 new to me Scotch whiskies. This time it was Smokehead Islay malt. Unusual (for a Scotch) name and label, I was intrigued by the Amazon write ups.

Apparently they refuse to disclose which of the 9 distilleries produce this brand but consensus by the experts says it must be Ardbeg.

Whatever, it's a nice smoky malt with a slightly sweet burnt nutty taste.

BTW, it's not as dark as suggested by the picture, the bottle is made of a very light blue glass, hence the deceptive image.

1 smokehead.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Last night I enjoyed the second of my 3 new to me Scotch whiskies. This time it was Smokehead Islay malt. Unusual (for a Scotch) name and label, I was intrigued by the Amazon write ups.

Apparently they refuse to disclose which of the 9 distilleries produce this brand but consensus by the experts says it must be Ardbeg.

BTW, it's not as dark as suggested by the picture, the bottle is made of a very light blue glass, hence the deceptive image.

View attachment 242575

Regards,

Jay.

When we were in Scotland four years ago at the Pot Still, one of the bartenders was speculating that it was made by Laphroaig. Who knows? We’ve had a few variants of Smokehead and have enjoyed them all.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

View attachment 242575

Regards,

Jay.
Must be the headhunter special. Got any skulls hanging around for a dram?

Reactions: JOHN72 and BCF

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The last of my trio of new to me whiskies was The Singleton 12 y/o Speyside malt. I'd never heard of this until recently when it was heavily advertised on TV.

It has an interesting aftertaste that I can't quite put my finger on. This also, like the Smokehead above comes in a blue tinted bottle.

Whatever, I would put it at the top of my trio and may well buy again.

1 singleton.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A rare treat to myself is a bottle of calvados. It really cheeses me off when I see the price of this stuff rising like a bed of bamboo growing on the finest farmyard manure.

I enjoyed a rather large dram last night whilst starting the final season of Better Call Saul. I suspect the bottle will be empty by the time I get to the last episode!

1 calv.jpg

Regards,

Jay.