Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Ending the night with a dram of Lagavulin 16. Deliciously smoky but hard to justify the price for me. It’s insane how much the price has risen recently, even just the past five years. I’ve been experimenting, trying to find somewhat comparable scotch at a lower price to scratch that itch, and have been enjoying Laphroaig 10 quite a bit. Here in Ontario, Lagavulin 16 is $185. Craziness!

Had to get that off my chest apparently!

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Ending the night with a dram of Lagavulin 16. Deliciously smoky but hard to justify the price for me. It’s insane how much the price has risen recently, even just the past five years. I’ve been experimenting, trying to find somewhat comparable scotch at a lower price to scratch that itch, and have been enjoying Laphroaig 10 quite a bit. Here in Ontario, Lagavulin 16 is $185. Craziness!

I feel your pain. I went to buy a bottle of Glenfarclas 12 the other day and it has DOUBLED in price in the past year. $100 a bottle now?!?!? No thanks.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

Give the Ledaig 10 Year (from the Isle of Mull) a try—in New York, it’s about $55.00 US and will give you many of the notes you enjoy in Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I just issued myself a big fat juicy pour of knob creek single barrel select, as selected by Pennsylvania Fine Wine & Spirits. This one might have to be relegated to chicken marinade I’m not loving it. It is 60% ABV, so maybe I’ll add a bit of distilled water to see if I can open it up a bit. Right now it’s a bit spicy/hot/all up in my face. I used to like KC back when I drank bourbon often. I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio as a backup plan.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders

I was going to suggest looking into Ledaig 10, but see its been mentioned. I love Ledaig pronounced (Lechaig). They do a cheaper non age statement Sinclair series, finished in Rioja casks which is also lovely. Port Charlotte 10yo is also worth looking into.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Give the Ledaig 10 Year (from the Isle of Mull) a try—in New York, it’s about $55.00 US and will give you many of the notes you enjoy in Lagavulin and Laphroaig.
TheIronMonkey I like your taste in whisky, for someone based in New York. You know your stuff, saying this as someone based in Scotland.
I am not going to get political, but rather talk about taxation. Doing a currency conversion check, we pay almost exactly the same for Ledaig 10yo her in Scotland which is scary and we co sidereal that decent value. £40 a bottle for something like Ledaig 10yo is considered good value.
My friend, also from Scotland visited his wife's family in France in the summer. He sent me the prices of what they pay for scotch whisky. I told him to get me a couple of bottles' because it was around 2/3rd's of what we pay for the same stuff here.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
TheIronMonkey I like your taste in whisky, for someone based in New York. You know your stuff, saying this as someone based in Scotland.
I am not going to get political, but rather talk about taxation. Doing a currency conversion check, we pay almost exactly the same for Ledaig 10yo her in Scotland which is scary and we co sidereal that decent value. £40 a bottle for something like Ledaig 10yo is considered good value.
My friend, also from Scotland visited his wife's family in France in the summer. He sent me the prices of what they pay for scotch whisky. I told him to get me a couple of bottles' because it was around 2/3rd's of what we pay for the same stuff here.

The taxes on Scotch have risen quite a bit here. When Susan and I were in Galicia, Spain in 2020, we saw bottles of Laphroaig at a Gadis supermarket for what seemed to be half of what we would pay in New York. Our jaws dropped! We of course picked a bottle for consumption immediately.

Have you ever tried the Ledaig 19? It comes in a wooden box and has an odd vomit-like nose which is almost off-putting, but fortunately, it’s pretty tasty.

A friend of ours tipped us off to Torabhaig (from the Isle of Skye) awhile back—it’s getting tougher to find and punches above its weight class.