PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So, once online vendors vanish overnight, we will be left with much of the US without B&M pipe tobacco access. And, in this climate, one would have to be a moron (my apologies to morons out there for using this term) to open a new pipe shop in this climate.

I would be left with no access to anything made by Laudsi, and much of GH&co (what's new in that?). But, what we could do is have someone in SC stop in and buy for us and send out as side trades. an underground RR of pipe tobaccos, or we could grow and illegally trade. But, of course Kevin doesn't want people to use his forum for illegal activities. But, it is a thought.

Another option is to travel to areas that have B&M's to buy unique tobaccos. But, I also fear that the decline in business would make it non-lucrative to carry a wide selection.

I have enough, so that I am not wringing my hands in panic. But, I do enjoy adding a tin or two of new blends to keep me constantly trying new things. If I were in this just to smoke, I have enough to last me till my last day, but I would probably get bored with what I have pretty quickly, with only 50 blends in stow.

Maybe Smokingpipes and P&C could open a retail site in each state, with a face to face for purchase, and the tobaccos being mailed? ...so that they wouldn't have to keep a huge inventory spread out across the US. Just brainstorming.
To cut it short, I’m just going to hop in the car for a 2 to 3 hour ride to SC, and buy from the B&M that used to have an online store. Until the Police start pulling you over for that revenue pull and inspecting you for tobacco products, this will have to do.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It's terribly hard to prove something that doesn't occur. But a traffic citation is not simply about the person getting the citation. The appearance of flashing lights and/or siren, the cop standing next to the violator's vehicle has a positive effect on every other driver observing the scene.

I can demonstrate, statistically, to you or other doubters that there is a direct correlation to the number of injury accidents and the number of hazardous moving citation convictions. That number is usually in the upper 20's with regard to citations per injury accident. In my town, the number which usually depressed injury accidents was 26-28 citations back in the 70s when I commanded the "Traffic Section". Much below that and injury accidents increased, much above didn't reflect a much greater number of reduction.

I will concede to you that there exist jurisdictions in which salary is/was tied to citations. I remember a county in an unnamed state had signs posted by the governor regarding "traps" set for out of state drivers. That is not the norm as you seem to imply. Crooked cops are not the rule, they are the exception.
Terribly hard to prove, Its testable. Every time I’ve been pulled over(thank god I haven’t been arrested) I’ve paid a fine. That’s revenue.
Now I know that fines are there to curb behavior. But the side effect is still money. Does it work, yep, I’m constantly hesitating to drive fast and maintain my lane, while trying to not kill some one in my Cafe Standard Speeding Plastic Bullet. rotf

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Nope, knowing this bill was written by both parties and passed by the GOP led Congress, there isn't any reason to be hopeful that it wont pass. But, I am just silly enough to hope for a sliver of intervention.

Which of the hobby level pipe tobacco giants do you think can afford to do this? Don't forget that pipes comes in dead last and the smallest of all of the niche tobacco users. There are even more people dipping and chewing than smoking pipes. And, the cigarette industry is not going to stop it's own bill (if we can't ship tobacco products, they can't either).

There is way more money in cigars than pipes, and they also have had a lot more class in dealing with DC. What I have seen from pipe smoking organizations has been ridiculous. But, the cigar guys went directly to Marco Rubio and won a few other Congressmen also.
I hope I'm wrong and someone is doing something classy in DC for pipes, but all I have seen from pipe organizations online have been pathetic. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah the cigar Association sends me petitions to sign all the time. Most are geared towards pipe tobacco as well. But some are not.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If pipe tobacco is a euphemism for RYO, maybe some enterprising lobbyist could get plug, rope, and flake tobacco exempted from the ban. I’m just dreaming, though.
a few years ago there was a law going through to tax pipe tobacco at the same rate as cigarette tobacco. The law was openly aimed at those shitty low quality rolling tobaccos that are labeled as pipe tobacco. Thankfully it didn't go through as it would have raised the cost of pipe tobacco tremendously. I wrote several representatives about that basically saying if you can't find a way to separate pipe tobacco from rolling tobacco then you're punishing a whole group of people because others are tax cheats. Seriously if you wonder if that's effective at all looking at the history of the FDA's attempt to ban Kratom.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
We smokers can't defend tobacco use except from the selfish "I like it!" point of view.
Or science. Including the fact that nicotine is finally being medical accepted as having very real therapeutic effects. Including increasing gateing in schizophrenics, mood stabilization in mood disorders like bi-polar. Gateing is what happens when you experience a stimuli repeatedly like the construction next door and your brain gets used to it and stops being startled every single time you hear hammering or banging, schizophrenics minds do not do that unless they have nicotine. The health effects are terrible with cigs and moderate with everything else. Basically smoking a pipe or dipping is on par with having a bit too much coffee or i.e. not really a significant public health concern or drain. And don't underestimate the power of I'am an adult that likes something a whole heck of a lot.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Or science. Including the fact that nicotine is finally being medical accepted as having very real therapeutic effects. Including increasing gateing in schizophrenics, mood stabilization in mood disorders like bi-polar. Gateing is what happens when you experience a stimuli repeatedly like the construction next door and your brain gets used to it and stops being startled every single time you hear hammering or banging, schizophrenics minds do not do that unless they have nicotine. The health effects are terrible with cigs and moderate with everything else. Basically smoking a pipe or dipping is on par with having a bit too much coffee or i.e. not really a significant public health concern or drain. And don't underestimate the power of I'am an adult that likes something a whole heck of a lot.
I don't disbelieve that. But they'll just insist on banning tobacco and providing 'therapeutical' nicotine through drugs (of course Big Pharma has a heavy hand in the crafting of these bills). They've already admitted that nicotine does not cause cancer: it's the combustion of tobacco that "kills". And since 'world without cancer' is the whole excuse for their shenanigans...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I don't disbelieve that. But they'll just insist on banning tobacco and providing 'therapeutical' nicotine through drugs (of course Big Pharma has a heavy hand in the crafting of these bills). They've already admitted that nicotine does not cause cancer: it's the combustion of tobacco that "kills". And since 'world without cancer' is the whole excuse for their shenanigans...
they're literally just starting to accept this. I knew a guy who spent about 20 years promoting the theraputic effects of nicotine and how terrible cigs are. Apperantly he regularly got offers from cigarette companies to do what ever research he wanted to with the big caveat they owned the research hence could control what parts got released or shelved. Pretty blunt way to bribe a person.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Heh, from my Textbook of Materia Medica:

Amelioration.- (Colocynthis)
From discharge of flatus ; from coffee ; from smoking ; from bending double ; from hard pressure.

(Emphasis is mine.)

But nevermind, they will continue to argue that tobacco kills.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
But nevermind, they will continue to argue that tobacco kills.
it's changing but like every field it's hard to get a group of people to all realize they've been wrong about something that seems so plainly obvious. For personal example now when I go to the doctors and they note I am in good shape for my age the doctors have stopped telling me I am wrong that pipes and snus are much less harmful and promise to actually read up on the studies I mention.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm just afraid that the next time we see a total cooperation between parties in Congress... a giant asteroid is going to be involved.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin

As for an asteroid, whether that is a bad thing all depends on where it lands.

Reactions: artvandelay007

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin

As for an asteroid, whether that is a bad thing all depends on where it lands.
Hopefully Washington D.C.

Blank Slate, baby! Let's do this....

Reactions: Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.