PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Will any of this lead to tobacco use being made illegal?
Not a challenge to your well written post. I see your point that it’s unlikely possession will become illegal. But as an addendum, I will point out that where I live most forms of tobacco use are already illegal in all public venues and even many private ones. As perhaps it should be.
If I choose to smoke that is one thing, but many people may not wish to inhale my second hand smoke and I can’t blame them.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The video of the subcommittee discussion is informative if you've got some time to spend on it. If you want to skip to HR 2339 portion, the opening statements conclude around the 51 minute mark and the real discussion of the bill starts thereafter.

HR 2339 Committee Video
I couldn’t sit here and watch idiots try to act like rational humans.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If I choose to smoke that is one thing, but many people may not wish to inhale my second hand smoke and I can’t blame them.
Then the answer is for birds of a feather to fly together, isn't it? I already decline to attend venues or visit friend's houses where I won't be allowed to smoke my pipe. I make a very few exceptions, but that's now my rule. If you (general term, not you you, Peregrinus) think you don't have to inhale my tobacco smoke, I don't have to inhale your ideological or prejudiced puffs either.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tobacco! We're discussing tobacco legislation, not air pollution. Focus "ron123", focus. But, per your argument, air pollution is detested by most everyone and heavily legislated against. Very similar to smoking. Cafe standards for autos address exhaust pollution. Factories are more regulated than tobaccos and the fines are more than you or I would want to pay should pipes be regulated the same.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
It seems likely an attempt will be made by some congressmen to add an exception for premium cigars. At least they have a sliver of hope. But I haven't heard any mention about doing the same for pipe tobacco. Given how eggheaded our representatives are I can totally forsee a situation where cigars get an exception but pipe tobacco gets lumped in whith e-vapes and the rest. Do we even have a lobby at all? Is piping such a small market that our cries are a fart in the wind?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do we even have a lobby at all? Is piping such a small market that our cries are a fart in the wind?
No and yes. Also, if you hang here long enough you will see that we cannot come to a consensus about any subject, not even whether or not a hamburger is a sandwich. What would be the logic for our lobbying?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No and yes. Also, if you hang here long enough you will see that we cannot come to a consensus about any subject, not even whether or not a hamburger is a sandwich. What would be the logic for our lobbying?

The logic would be to spare pipe tobacco from the executioner's blade. Lobbying isn't about logic anyway, it is about money and influence. Or said differently, buying influence.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems likely an attempt will be made by some congressmen to add an exception for premium cigars. At least they have a sliver of hope. But I haven't heard any mention about doing the same for pipe tobacco. Given how eggheaded our representatives are I can totally forsee a situation where cigars get an exception but pipe tobacco gets lumped in whith e-vapes and the rest. Do we even have a lobby at all? Is piping such a small market that our cries are a fart in the wind?
It's a pretty small market.

I wonder if Big Tobacco has had a hand in this bill, like they had a hand in crafting the FDA deeming rules. Doesn't affect their cigarette business and takes some wind out of the opposition's fury.

Status
Not open for further replies.