PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
2014 Wintertime flake was my first introduction to Samuel Gawith and it didn't disappoint. As the snowflakes began to fall, I reached for my pipe and a tin of Wintertime. The aroma of the tobacco filled the air, mingling with the scent of pine and cinnamon. I packed the bowl carefully, savoring the feel of the tobacco between my fingers. As I lit the pipe, the first puff sent a warm, sweet and spicy sensation through my body. The smoke was rich and slow, with a hint of Latakia that added a spicy kick to the flavor. It was the perfect accompaniment to the winter evening, warming me from the inside out. I couldn’t help but think that this was the kind of tobacco that was made for moments like these.

G

Gimlet

I got a couple ounces of Coniston cut plug to try. Here’s my take on it fresh out of the mailbox and bag in my Royal Danish 924M.
View attachment 265509

‘23 GH&Co Coniston Cut Plug:

Good moisture, letting set a half hour or so before loading was good. Sliced/rubbed plug of mostly dark highlighted with some light leaf, with a few larger chunks of dark whole leaf (I’m assuming from the plug wrap).

Stubbornly took to the flame and required a couple relights. Burned to a fine ash, but heated into hard “chunks” along the way.

Solid medium body and strength, and a near perfect balance of dark, light virginias (African) and burley.

Speaking of, the flavoring is a sweet, lightly floral with a little tonquin that complements the tobacco well without overpowering it.

All in all-not too strong, not too light, the flavoring is not too strong, not too light. Nicotine is there but not enough you need to be sitting down to smoke it.

Based on my very limited experience, I’d say it would be a great one to try for someone that would like to try the genre.
Just tried this for the first time myself. Don't how I've managed to overlook it for so long. You sum it up very well. very much how it struck me as well.

I found it hard to tease out the individual flavours. It's got unmistakable Lakeland essences but they blend so well none of them really dominate. I couldn't pick one out clearly and say there's the rose, there's the geranium, there's the citrus. In that sense it's satisfyingly complex. Very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. And like the best Kendal flakes it changes in character as you progress down the bowl. Very much one to recommend for those who think Lakelands are all soap and flowers.

One thing that was odd was as soon as I lit it and smelled the aroma it instantly triggered a memory. Of where and when I couldn't immediately say, but it was powerfully familiar and took me back to childhood. I guess I must have known someone who smoked it many years ago. In fact, as the sent built up an image of my grandfather in his garden appeared in my mind, as if I'd switched channels on the TV. And he died 45 years ago so I don't know how long they've been making it.

I'm not sure I don't prefer it to 1792. As you say it's strong but not as prickly or as chesty as others from the same family. 1792 is knocking on the door of black twist for power. I think it's likely to become one of my full time regulars, which is great as it's easy to get here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Forgive me if this has already been asked here. Just curious since you're running through the G&H line up any one here know which of their blends is the strongest with the Lakeland essence. I gave Ennerdale a try and loved it and was curious if I would like the essence even stronger. Thanks for any advice

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Forgive me if this has already been asked here. Just curious since you're running through the G&H line up any one here know which of their blends is the strongest with the Lakeland essence. I gave Ennerdale a try and loved it and was curious if I would like the essence even stronger. Thanks for any advice
Of the ones I’ve tried Broken Flake #7 was the most essence-y.

G

Gimlet

Rich dark spring dew is one of the heaviest on rose and geranium that I've tried. It was a bit much for me but the flavours develop and change as you smoke the bowl down so it's far from a one trick pony.
I think my favourite Lakeland blend is Coniston cut plug. Very distinct flavour and if you smoked it blind you'd be in no doubt that it was a Kendal Lakeland, but somehow it's more pungent than perfumed. I really like it. And the room smell is wonderful.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I don’t think this is true.
It is so true. I am not here to discuss politics. I once made a comment that was not what you would say was coming from the right. It was removed and I was warned. Yet on a near daily basis I will see posts attacking 'wokism'. Like I say, that doesn't bother me, but it is impossible not to notice.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
It is so true. I am not here to discuss politics. I once made a comment that was not what you would say was coming from the right. It was removed and I was warned. Yet on a near daily basis I will see posts attacking 'wokism'. Like I say, that doesn't bother me, but it is impossible not to notice.
Eh I had the same thing happen when I first joined this forum but my comment was most definitely “right wing”. The mods aren’t omnipotent and I think they do a good job and are evenhanded.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Eh I had the same thing happen when I first joined this forum but my comment was most definitely “right wing”. The mods aren’t omnipotent and I think they do a good job and are evenhanded.
I don't think the mods are not even handed. My suspicion is that 'left-wing' comments get reported immediately, and the mods act. 'Right-wing' comments probably don't get reported at all,so get left alone. Remind me who the snowflakes are again lol

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I don't think the mods are not even handed. My suspicion is that 'left-wing' comments get reported immediately, and the mods act. 'Right-wing' comments probably don't get reported at all,so get left alone. Remind me who the snowflakes are again lol
Ah okay I see you what you mean now. I forgot that comments could be reported by other users.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are pushing the political commentary far beyond the initial missive. One person’s transgression is not an opportunity to dig a deeper hole.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Stop playing the victim.
You’re derailing this thread.
You have no idea what the politics are for 99% of this forum, and that’s exactly how it should be.
Lol, yeah I am. Of course. I tell you what, why don't we all leave it? And why don't you say that instead of singling out the guys you don't like the sound of.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m on various forums that are ostensibly “no politics” but lean one way or the other in practice. It’s part of the “house style”, I reckon.

But one thing that’s generally true is that mods don’t appreciate having their decisions questioned in the open. Private discussions are better for those concerns…

Last edited:
Reactions: dcon and woodsroad