PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
GH&Co Kendal Flake:
Flakes rubbed out easily, burns a tad wet, but stayed lit well. Lighter in body and color, and heavier in casing/topping than the Dark Flake Aromatic. The quality of tobacco shines through and works well with the many added flavors. Smelling the flake, I thought it would have way too much floral/perfumey taste, but upon actual smoking it’s there yet not overpowering at all. The multiple flavors fight for dominance making it very interesting.

Great medium body, med-strong favor, and solid medium on the strength. It’s multi-faceted flavoring reminds me of what a WarHorse Green Light would be if there were such a thing.

3.5/4
View attachment 263391
I ordered 4 ounces of this stuff 2 years ago… I was so shocked by the perfume scent that I quickly stuffed it into a jar and I’ve been afraid to open it since! 😂 seriously though, really enjoying the reviews.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I ordered 4 ounces of this stuff 2 years ago… I was so shocked by the perfume scent that I quickly stuffed it into a jar and I’ve been afraid to open it since! 😂 seriously though, really enjoying the reviews.
Kendal Flake is really one of the best in the GH medium range. It's got a lovely topping over a smooth VA with just a little dark leaf to get it turned up a notch but not so much that it becomes overpowering. I like this much better than Brown Flake Aromatic, which has a bit too much dark fired for my tastes.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
‘GH&Co Ennerdale Mixture in a Kaywoodie White Briar Campus:

Tan-ish broken flake rubbed out a little stubbornly, packed well, and took to the flame nicely.

I must say I was expecting much more Lakeland for some reason, but was pleasantly surprised by a sweet, fruity mild smoke with good body. Nothing was “in your face”, and the flavors are so melded that this novice couldn’t pick them out as they interplayed through the smoke. The tobaccos provided a good medium strength, that I would say was mild if not for the familiar physical reminders that a decent amount of nicotine is present.

No flavorings felt artificial or heavy, and any floral essence is laced into the sweet fruit and hint of vanilla such that it doesn’t make itself offensive by its presence.

Burnt cool and evenly, and only needed a relight after I paused to take a pic for the current WAYS thread. Just a touch of dampness left at the heel.

Surprising good stuff, only surprising because I was expecting it to be more perfumey for some reason.

3.25/4
AB69C903-C2E1-48BA-95E0-38437E097135.jpeg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
‘GH&Co Ennerdale Mixture in a Kaywoodie White Briar Campus:

Tan-ish broken flake rubbed out a little stubbornly, packed well, and took to the flame nicely.

I must say I was expecting much more Lakeland for some reason, but was pleasantly surprised by a sweet, fruity mild smoke with good body. Nothing was “in your face”, and the flavors are so melded that this novice couldn’t pick them out as they interplayed through the smoke. The tobaccos provided a good medium strength, that I would say was mild if not for the familiar physical reminders that a decent amount of nicotine is present.

No flavorings felt artificial or heavy, and any floral essence is laced into the sweet fruit and hint of vanilla such that it doesn’t make itself offensive by its presence.

Burnt cool and evenly, and only needed a relight after I paused to take a pic for the current WAYS thread. Just a touch of dampness left at the heel.

Surprising good stuff, only surprising because I was expecting it to be more perfumey for some reason.

3.25/4
View attachment 264347
Great review. This is one of my favorites from Gawith. I really appreciate what Gawith and Hoggarth offers the pipe smoking community and grateful to Laudisi for making it readily available to us.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Had a bowl of the last of the GH&Co blend samples @FurCoat hooked me up with (very grateful!).

GH&Co Broken Flake #7

Leathery tan speckly flakes, broken longways. I think it’s the most floral scent of the samples I tried.

On rubbing out, flake strips were leathery and didn’t tear easily. Tobacco took well to the flake and I immediately though, “oh there’s the floral perfume scent!

The topping’s scent did dissipate a little as bowl progressed, but was always there. Now I fully understand JimInk’s term “sublimated”-to me the topping fully and relentlessly hid the tobacco flavor. I could tell that quality tobaccos made up the blend, but couldn’t discern much more than that feeling.

Pipe burned well with judicious tamping, and left quite a bit of moisture.

I wasn’t repulsed by the Lakeland essence, and enjoyed the experience, but I won’t be stocking up on this one.

3/4
5421E91F-F226-4ACD-9488-81084D6C8F37.jpeg

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I too have been enjoying your impressions of these various tobaccos.

For years, I was scared away by the descriptions of the Lakeland essence but upon trying, have become a fan. I enjoy Ennerdale Flake and the other various offerings from G&H that I have tried.

Probably my two favorites are the Brown and Black Irish twists. Which one I choose depends on the evening. These are my last smokes before bed as they send me off to dreamland in a nicotine induced euphoria.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
This was/is a cool thread. I knew there would be some blends that would click and some that would not. That was the point. I hope there is a part two where you revisit the blend and update your impressions and compare them to your initial review.
Thank you again!
I’ll keep it going-I just got a couple ounces from smokingpipes to try that I’ll be posting first impressions of shortly.
The idea of a revisit is a good one, I’ll try to remember to do that as there’s still a couple/few bowls of each sample you sent.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Thank you again!
I’ll keep it going-I just got a couple ounces from smokingpipes to try that I’ll be posting first impressions of shortly.
The idea of a revisit is a good one, I’ll try to remember to do that as there’s still a couple/few bowls of each sample you sent.
You are very welcome. I've enjoyed this thread which has been informative and helpful. Great reviews

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I got a couple ounces of Coniston cut plug to try. Here’s my take on it fresh out of the mailbox and bag in my Royal Danish 924M.
B484D34E-E74B-4C60-89DC-4F71F30C7BFB.jpeg

‘23 GH&Co Coniston Cut Plug:

Good moisture, letting set a half hour or so before loading was good. Sliced/rubbed plug of mostly dark highlighted with some light leaf, with a few larger chunks of dark whole leaf (I’m assuming from the plug wrap).

Stubbornly took to the flame and required a couple relights. Burned to a fine ash, but heated into hard “chunks” along the way.

Solid medium body and strength, and a near perfect balance of dark, light virginias (African) and burley.

Speaking of, the flavoring is a sweet, lightly floral with a little tonquin that complements the tobacco well without overpowering it.

All in all-not too strong, not too light, the flavoring is not too strong, not too light. Nicotine is there but not enough you need to be sitting down to smoke it.

Based on my very limited experience, I’d say it would be a great one to try for someone that would like to try the genre.