PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No, it's just a hobby. I've already turned one of my hobbies into a vocation, and I'll be very reluctant to ever do that again!
A couple of years can certainly change one's mind, huh? :mrgreen:
Here's my most recent press box build:
16%2B-%2B1

The 6-ton shop press with my very first plug mold:
16%2B-%2B1

One of the flakes that came from this set-up:
16%2B-%2B1

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
That's a really cool idea. I'm thinking of getting a 6 ton press from harbor freight just for the fun of it. YouTube channel real-bat man shows him using that press. Plus it's funny to listen to his southern drawllllz.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a 6 ton press
It is somewhat tricky using a press. I've made quite a few hockey pucks with mine. I've since switched to a screw press I made and am much happier with the results.
BTW, all this pressing you guys are doing you really ought to make yourself some Perique while you're at it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jitterbug, so you are talking about using too much pressure and ending ip with a brick? The press that I bought has a pressure gauge (pressure in the cylinder), so the effective psi can be calculated. Going by what Per Jenson sez in the vid here that Kevin did, their presses roll at 325 psi. What is your experience?
Abd yes, we'd love a tutorial on making Perique!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
so you are talking about using too much pressure and ending ip with a brick
WoodsR.. I was using a 20 ton shop press. It made very nice bricks. I was thinking of selling them to NASA for heat shield material but then the Space Shuttle Program went away.
Without having a pressure gauge I really can't comment on "pressure applied" in an intelligent manner. When I switched to a screw press it enabled me to make some nice plug, crumble cake and Perique.
Do you have a link for your press (with the gauge)? Would love to have one with a gauge.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some nice hydraulic presses here chaps, I'm impressed by your ingenuity. Mine as shown earlier in the week is merely a threaded press but does impart considerable force as my first 'plug' showed after only a couple of days pressing.
I have realised that I should be able to work out the actual pressure exerted by use of a torque wrench but I have not got one :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
WR, Thanks for the link but since I already have a 20 ton press I'll just try adding a gauge to a bottle jack. I don't think the drain plug can be used since the metal is too thin. I'll drill and tap into the bottom area of the jack.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Why would you want to press it?"
Storf, folks like to press tobacco to make either crumble cake or plugs. The idea being that compressed tobacco has a much more concentrated flavour.
Having done it myself (and have another pressing as I type) I can confirm it really does intensify the flavours.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.