PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@David, there's a world of stuff out there, just waiting to be abused used differently.
@Dan, Aged Krumble Kake for these pressings, but when I get the 30 ton press going, I'll be making slices. I'm already eyeing a used deli slicer (I've always wanted one of those!). I'll probably turn out a few 4"x4"x4" pressed cubes at first. If that works, I'll press longer 4x4 blocks.
@mmjk: What did you do for a press? 'splain me Thuoc Lao?
BTW, I did break a jar today. Turns out those 4oz jars have a slightly smaller ID at the bottom. Smaller than the pressure plate on the caulk gun. Well, at least it's not chewing tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When packing a jar with a BaccyPacker© caulk gun, start by making sure that the pressure plate is smaller than the ID of the jar. Ball jars are conical by design, so push the pressure plate to the bottom of the jar and make sure that the metal plate will not bind in the jar, because if it does, it's going shatter that sucker like an egg. A jar that breaks under this amount of pressure will send glass shards flying. I know: I just vacuumed them up
I packed the small 4oz jars by filling them all the way first, packing the tobacco in by hand, then putting the jar in the press. Squash it down, retract the pressure plate, put more tobacco in, and keep repeating until the jar is packed solid.
I managed to get 150gr into a 4oz jar. That was the absolute limit.
BE CAREFUL!
photo4_2-vi.jpg

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Try placing a piece of cork under the jar. It might allow just enough give to prevent cracking the glass.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
How long do you keep the tobacco pressed before sealing it in the jar?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@jitterbugdude: That's a good idea, but it's not why the glass cracked. It cracked because the pressure plate was bigger than the inside of the jar.
@mike73: The tobacco needs to remain in the press long enough that it doesn't quickly expand when you release the pressure. I left it overnight and that did the trick. I tried leaving it for a hour and that wasn't long enough.
@sailorjeremy: A Balkan blend. This thread will give you more info
@Michael: Did you ferment that leaf?

So far, with last year's harvest, I dried it, graded it into yellows and reds, ran them through a paper shredder (bought for that purpose), steamed it, and canned it. I haven't tried any of it yet, and I am hoping that age will add something to it. I keep reading that a calorie has to be added, and my experience with trying to smoke it without a calorie was similar to smoking paper, harsh on the throat and wanting to flame up. But, I guess this is an experiment.

This year, I want to try adding honey to the steamed leaf to see if that will add the needed calorie. Not enough to really taste, just enough to slow down the burn. However, I would love to learn more about how the big dogs do this. Reinventing wheels is more than I want to do.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Heating the. Jars is something that I'm thinking about, in the same vein as steam pressed. Drop the jars into a water bath for a few hours. I have to do some more reading on this about temperatures and time. I do know that enzymes are heat activated, though. This will need to be a controlled experiment, so I'll probably set this up with a simple Balken mix of Virginia, Latakia, Oriental. Then I'll have to analyze the results...that's the really awful part.
Michael, if I'm not mistaken, you need to ferment the leaf after the color cure. The fermentation knocks back the nitrogen and alkaloids, I think, and is essential if you intend to enjoy smoking it. Lots of info online about building a kiln for fermentation.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
You don't need to kiln (ferment) your tobacco. All a kiln does is speed up the aging process from 1 year to about 1 month. I would let the tobacco naturally age first for a year or two before jarring it. Once it's about a year old it will be ready to smoke. At that point you can jar it and let it age more. All the big processors buy bulk tobacco and let it age a year or three THEN they blend it and can it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"All the big processors buy bulk tobacco and let it age a year or three THEN they blend it and can it. "
Thanks, Jitterbug. Looks like I will need to start laying in several varieties of tobacco, in bulk, every year, much like I used to do with cigars.
Well...anyone else BaccyPacking? I've put up a few jars in the last weeks, including several straight Virginias: Red, Bright and Lemon. I sampled my "Full Fathom Five" pressed blend, and CondorLover swears it smells just like Balkan Sobranie, which he also told me he doesn't care much for. I'm loving it.
I've yet to run the heating experiments, I'm waiting on a programmable PID controller for an old lab oven that I have.
Pressed_edit-vi.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, I am as well...you said it was in the mail. Since I lost my prosthetic leg in that bar fight, it's difficult for me to hop the 1/2 mile down the driveway to the mailbox. Do you think it might just be delayed? I'll keep looking.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Does pressing change flavors or is it just for the ability to fit in a smaller space ?

I figure it would help them "marry" or "set" or "come together" or whatever the term is. I could be wrong about threat, I really know nothing about blending...

Status
Not open for further replies.