PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My non existent experience in home blending would suggest at the very least, it would help marry the different leaves. When I jar bulk bought mixtures I press the tobacco with a wooden "ramrod" to get more into the jar but discovered that it at least preserves the flavor and possibly aids in improving it. I can get it tightly packed to the point where I have to dig it out. I'm also following this thread closely as I'd love to give it a try.
In fact Woodsroad, I'd love to hear more about your "Full Fathom Five" as it sounds dreamy.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Woodsroad,that's ingenius thinking,although the glass breakage would cause me worry,the above method you can control the "thickness"of the pressings and using greaseproof paper ,below and above the Tobacco,removal is easy,then slice with a gullotine into required size or shape,i used a deep block with six partitions it gives five pressings at a time ,similiar to the link....Just a thought.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
rasselass, thanks for the link. It mentions using treated wood, which would be a big mistake. Arsenic Cavendish, anyone? To answer your question about what pressing does to improve a blend, the answer is, I don't entirely know. Melding is on, freeing up flavor elements through pressure is another, but I suspect that there is enzymatic action that for some reason, operates better under pressure. Glass breakage: The only time that a jar broke was when I was using a 2oz jar. The plunger on the caulk gun is wider than the bottom of the (tapered) jar, so it was the caulk gun plunger that broke the jar, not the pressure, per se.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very cool idea, I look forward to seeing pics of the log splitter set up. My one and only blending experiment left me with a scorched mouth, however I cellared it and am hoping it will mellow over time. That was a year ago, might be time for a sampling.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'd love to do some home blending after I retire next year.

Fantastic blend names, too!
"Rich and Strange", "Full Fathom Five"... Maybe the next blend will be "Sea-Change"?
Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong.

Hark! now I hear them — Ding-dong, bell.

Shakespeare - "The Tempest"

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very good, Tuold, you are the only one to pick up on that. Indeed, Sea-Change is next!

"These Are The Pearls" is being pressed now....

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Apologies,Woodsroad,it was the only link i could find to a "simple press"for home production,its more or less similiar to a shop press,(but not enough quantity)over here the process is called "marrying"the different tobacco blends,casing or flavouring can be done at the same time if you know the formula is correct,toasting or steaming can be done at a later stage if "too sweet or bitter"if using unknown formula's,...untreated "oak"would be my preference for those doing home production.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whoa! I started reading before I realized it was a zombie thread, and wondered what road, so to speak, he (Mr. Road) was taking, as his involvement with Std. Tobacco of PA took him far beyond experimenting with a caulking gun.
But a most interesting thread. Thank you!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Rich and Strange" turned out great, but it needed more Perique. I mixed in some of Mark Ryan's dark fired Perique and that did the trick. I did buy a real press, but haven't gotten around to getting it completly set up. Well, the press is set up, but I''m not done welding the plug forms.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Whoa! I started reading before I realized it was a zombie thread,
I like zombie threads, good to catch up on past misses, until I read....
This idea came to me this evening while I was taking a shower.
...thanks for conjuring up images of things Id rather not think about :rofl:

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
This thread is especially funny if anyone listened to the newest PipesMagazine Podcast where they clearly state that this is a terrible, terrible idea. LOL

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ha! Now I'll have to go listen.
Why exactly is this such a really bad idea? I love hearing about how things that work out wonderfully for me are actually exceptionally stupid.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I love hearing about how things that work out wonderfully for me are actually exceptionally stupid
Me too! All my life I've been told (when it comes to tobacco stuff) you can't, you can't, you can't.
I'm not interested in the podcast but I too would like to know why your press is a bad idea.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
This whole thread is amazing! The press (great idea), the blends, the glass explosions... Love it! :lol:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jitterbug, I've been through the glass grenade problem, just don't use the 4oz narrow mouth jars without first checking that the plunger doesn't impact the sides. In fact, a good mod would be to make up a few thick wood or HDPE plungers to fit different jars.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
That is a genial idea, I guess I'll try it here with some kitchen sink blend that I have and started to taste nice.. Putting it into a plug/cake would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.