PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Country Squire's Old Toby (probably my favorite aro) 54.99
Kramer's Blend For Cary Grant (for when I can't make up my mind between an english or aro... and it's just fantastic anyway) 35.73
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake (great VaPer with a touch of black cavendish) 48.09
Lane BCA (great on it's own or as a mixer for sweetening something else up a bit) 33.83

well never mind... just realized you can no longer buy Hearth & Home Blackhouse in bulk which would have been my Balkan blend of choice. I think that would have gotten me close to 200.

Getting an aromatic like Lane BCA which can be easily used on its own or a mixer is a great idea!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
1 pound each:

The Country Squire: Sheppard's Pie
SP.com. Balkan Supreme
SP.com Sutliff 515-RC-1
" " PS - 400 Luxury Navy Flake
" " PS - 403 Luxury Bullseye

To me, this would be a quality bulk cellar START with many, many holes. A thousand dollars would be a much more realistic amount.

YMMV

Having Sheppard’s pie really highlights it is good to keep a broad base of blenders in mind. Nice choice.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
In the real world I’d get way less weight and more blends, but for the sake of the game:

1lb Sutliff Match Victorian
1lb Balkan Supreme
1lb Watch City Simply Red (Or R&B)
1lb box MacBaren HH Burley Flake
1lb Sutliff Black Cordial

Comes out to $206, but as often as they all go on 15% off you could make it happen for under $200 if timed right.

Was tempted to use Esterval’s for Capstan or some HU but I feel like that’s cheating with the “free” shipping, hahaha.

Sutliff in general I need to explore, but this Match Victoria needs to go on my next tour of VAPers. Nice list. I learned some new things.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sutliff in general I need to explore, but this Match Victoria needs to go on my next tour of VAPers. Nice list. I learned some new things.
IMO Match Victorian is far and away their best blend. Stacks up against any va/per out there, tin or bulk, at an absolute bargain price.

Grab an oz. If we’re all wrong you’re out a whopping $2.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The challenge is, can you construct a quality cellar with five one pound bags of bulk tobacco for $200 or less. What would you pick and why?

You can use multiple suppliers and for the sake of simplicity, assume shipping is free. I was lazy and just used the cart on smokingpipes to calculate total cost.

One pound each...
  • RLP-6 - a reasonably priced aromatic
  • Pegasus - a solid Burley based all day smoke
  • Yorktown - I like a Virginia fix on warm days
  • Luxury Bullseye Flake - when straight Virginia is getting old and a solid vaper is in order
  • Balkan Supreme - you got to have an English in a cellar!
Total cost $199.86
Yorktown is definitely in my cellar from the 1 pound bag. It's one of my must haves.

Reactions: rushx9

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Stacks up against any va/per out there, tin or bulk, at an absolute bargain price.

Well maybe not. Bargain price yes, match against any other vaper no. My results with this blend were disappointing, certainly when compared against Elizabethan which had been a favorite of mine. Sutliff's version isn't bad but it's no Dunhill (or Solani 633, or Gawith St James). Albeit, a couple of years in a jar might make a big difference and even up the score.

Reactions: sandollars

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well maybe not. Bargain price yes, match against any other vaper no. My results with this blend were disappointing, certainly when compared against Elizabethan which had been a favorite of mine. Sutliff's version isn't bad but it's no Dunhill (or Solani 633, or Gawith St James). Albeit, a couple of years in a jar might make a big difference and even up the score.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think the Dunhill version is good. I think the match is better. But hey, to each their own!

I like 633 and St. James as well (especially the plug!) and also find them superior to the Dunhill version of Elizabethan.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I like 633 and St. James as well (especially the plug!) and also find them superior to the Dunhill version of Elizabethan.

No question about it, 633 and St James are about as good as it gets and Dunhill was certainly not in the same category, (nor trying to be). But for a ribbon cut vaper I thought it was quite enjoyable.

I like what Sutliff is trying to do; don't get me wrong. And with some age maybe it gets there. I do have quite a bit of it in jars. I'll get back to you in two years with an update puffy

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Started piping in 2014. I found this site about 2 weeks into my own serendipitous acquaintance with a drug store acquired MM Legend and bought into the excitement about pipes and tobacco like a duck to water. I bought loads more pipes and sampled every blend I could get, and it was fun as heck!
I soon discovered youtube as well, and became aware of the likes of C&D and McLelland's.
I finally hit upon the Daughters and Ryan line of tobaccos and now that's pretty much all I smoke.
My favorites are 3 Sails, TwoTimer, and Picayune, because they are a VA, a Burley, and a Perique blend respectively, and can be mixed to 'create' some nice tasty and easy burning smokes.
I always wait till they're on sale and don't pay much more, and often less than $20.00 an lb. for them.
Sure, I keep some flake and some Latakia on hand, but seldom smoke em.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
My favorites are 3 Sails, TwoTimer, and Picayune, because they are a VA, a Burley, and a Perique blend respectively, and can be mixed to 'create' some nice tasty and easy burning smokes.
I always wait till they're on sale and don't pay much more, and often less than $20.00 an lb. for them.
Sure, I keep some flake and some Latakia on hand, but seldom smoke em.

A 10lb cellar for $200! Wow! But more importantly I'll look at these blends more and would love know more about how you create your own mixes.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This has been a great thread so far. Lots to think about. I made a spreadsheet of all of the stuff I have or would consider buying in bulk and then made some extra columns to categorize things. Some blends are very unnecessary or better replaced by others on the list. For example, I have GH&C American Delight but it could easily be replaced by GH&C Kentucky Nougat. I have some Kentucky Nougat to try before making a final decision. Also I have GH&C Unscented Dark in both flake and plug. Everyone says the plug is better but I'm still struggling with it versus the flake.

So without further ado, here is the spreadsheet:

BrandBlendOverallMustMaybe200?
ArrangoBalkan Supreme
$42.58​
Sutliff507C VA Slices
$37.71​
Sutliff707 Sweet VA
$27.86​
$27.86​
SutliffSpiced Rum
$27.86​
SutliffMatch Victorian
$27.86​
$27.86​
SutliffMatch Balkan Sobranie Original
$28.93​
$28.93​
SutliffMatch Troost
$27.86​
GH&CKentucky Nougat
$55.56​
GH&CAmerican Delight
$55.56​
$55.56​
GH&CDark Flake Unscented
$55.56​
$55.56​
GH&CDark Flake Plug
$55.56​
GH&C(Happy) Brown Bogie Unsliced
$55.56​
GH&CKendal Gold
$55.56​
GH&CKendal Dark
$55.56​
Watch CitySimply Red
$57.92​
Watch CityOld Dominion
$57.92​
Watch CityRhythm & Blues
$57.92​
Watch CityRougaroux
$57.92​
$841.26​
$0.00​
$0.00​
$195.77​

Which way would you guys go? (The rules are whatever you suggest has to be available in 1Lb or 500g quantities.)

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
This has been a great thread so far. Lots to think about.

Great post. Love your table. It highlights to me how much room is left for me to explore tobacco! I think seeing your table I am thinking in retrospect that I should have worked into my cellar purchase a dark flake / kdf of some sort too.

Reactions: shanez and rushx9

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Here's mine:

Comoy's Cask No. 7 for $40.91 (saves me like 8 bucks off of LBEF)
C&D Star of the East for $37.68
Mac Baren Scottish Mixture for $41.62
Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme for $37.71 and
Arango Balkan Supreme for $42.58

Total: $200.50. So fifty cents over the max but I've got that in my couch cushions I'm sure.
this.

Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.