PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
You're right. Russ said the match is a general copy of 70s 759 with no perique, while Blackhouse is a rendering of a specific vintage tin. It's probably for the lack of perique that I prefer the 759 Match.
Understandable. Perique's flavor can change quite dramatically, I've found depending on the other components of a blend and how much perique is used. It can really be quite interesting, the changes. I've grown to really like it, but like latakia, it's not for everyone.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Started piping in 2014. I found this site about 2 weeks into my own serendipitous acquaintance with a drug store acquired MM Legend and bought into the excitement about pipes and tobacco like a duck to water. I bought loads more pipes and sampled every blend I could get, and it was fun as heck!
I soon discovered youtube as well, and became aware of the likes of C&D and McLelland's.
I finally hit upon the Daughters and Ryan line of tobaccos and now that's pretty much all I smoke.
My favorites are 3 Sails, TwoTimer, and Picayune, because they are a VA, a Burley, and a Perique blend respectively, and can be mixed to 'create' some nice tasty and easy burning smokes.
I always wait till they're on sale and don't pay much more, and often less than $20.00 an lb. for them.
Sure, I keep some flake and some Latakia on hand, but seldom smoke em.

These are my conclusions as well, I've tried lots of stuff( still a lot to try though, I'll never stop), but Daughters and Ryan Two Timer Gold(having it as I type) and Rimboche AP are my most smoked tobaccos, I have lots of jars open but I reach for these two to suit every taste. I can't wait to try the others from D&R, especially Picayune. I'd probably just wait for a D&R sale and get 10 lbs rather than 5 for under 200. Criminally underpriced tobacco for the high quality and unadultered, no-nonsense blending philosophy. You don't pay for any gunk, topping, nor is there even water weighing it down. Just the bare minimum for perfect hydration-- I couldn't be more pleased with D&R.

Reactions: dcon and docrameous

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
These are my conclusions as well, I've tried lots of stuff( still a lot to try though, I'll never stop), but Daughters and Ryan Two Timer Gold(having it as I type) and Rimboche AP are my most smoked tobaccos, I have lots of jars open but I reach for these two to suit every taste. I can't wait to try the others from D&R, especially Picayune. I'd probably just wait for a D&R sale and get 10 lbs rather than 5 for under 200. Criminally underpriced tobacco for the high quality and unadultered, no-nonsense blending philosophy. You don't pay for any gunk, topping, nor is there even water weighing it down. Just the bare minimum for perfect hydration-- I couldn't be more pleased with D&R.

I have been inspired by this and will definitely add this to my touring around.

It is causing me to think about a scenario of having several basic and solid tobaccos around to enjoy in their own right and blend according to my mood. If I found this rang my clock, then the core of my cellar could be these blends supplemented by a handful of other favorites.

Great thread! I have learned a lot here.

Status
Not open for further replies.