PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Triple Play. Just does nothing for me. I keep trying and will again.

Plum Pudding...Im not saying its bad but to me there are better lat blends. Maybe I will like it better if I boost the perique a bit.

So much of this is personal. A couple of blends I really enjoy are listed by others.

I will probably do a EU listing for trades or sales of stuff Ive tried but didnt flip over.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I see Plum Pudding listed above. That was a big disappointment for me. Don't know if it was the time of year or some other "off" reason but I ended up gifting away the bulk of the tin combined with another for a box pass. I hope others like it.

Not even sure if I should try one of the extras I've got in the "cellar" in a few years - or simply consider it as having been "tried" and totally move on from there. I've so many others already acquired to try out, I may never open another of these.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Has anyone had the 2023 Skiff? I can't say I'm disappointed, but it is kind of bitey. That's a let down as I really enjoy the flavor. It's one of the best tasting Oriental forward blends. Anyone else experience this? Hopefully it's just me.
It’s funny that I just came across your comments. I’m smoking right now Skiff from a tin I bought at the glorious Arlington Pipe and Cigar B+M last August, and it does have some bite. Nothing intolerable, and I do like it, but the bite is still noticeable.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Once again: Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake. Almost impossible to keep lit and has a bad flavor to boot.... :mad:
I've been told it's a mix of latakia and virginias, but I'm convinced that Balkan Flake has a certain percentage of asbestos in it.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Triple Play. Just does nothing for me. I keep trying and will again.

Plum Pudding...Im not saying its bad but to me there are better lat blends. Maybe I will like it better if I boost the perique a bit.

So much of this is personal. A couple of blends I really enjoy are listed by others.

I will probably do a EU listing for trades or sales of stuff Ive tried but didnt flip over.
I have a unopened G.L. Pease Triple Play tin. I hope it works for me.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew for me. It smelled wonderfully sweet but taste was just hot air. I’ve kept the tin and that’s where I keep my used safety razor blades.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
It’s funny that I just came across your comments. I’m smoking right now Skiff from a tin I bought at the glorious Arlington Pipe and Cigar B+M last August, and it does have some bite. Nothing intolerable, and I do like it, but the bite is still noticeable.
It's one of my favorite morning smokes. I think it has a little bit to do with the spicy Orientals, but what I found out is that it comes so moist in the tin that when you let it dry for a few hours it becomes a way better and smoother smoke. Skiff comes really wet in the tin where as I don't have to do any drying for Squadron Leader. I was really just trying to see in my post if anyone felt the same way about it, it is no where near a "disappointing" tobacco. Hope you really enjoy it.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
What'd you get? I really like my Ropp Vintage Sandblast 639P. I'm thinking about replacing some of my pipes that I'm leaning "meh" on with some Ropps.
View attachment 295633
The only con i have heard is the horn stems on the vintage line of Ropp’s is rather a narrow draft hole. Now most here would agree a tight hole is usually a welcome addition to their day but finding a pipe cleaner to fit it for the subsequent cleaning is another story 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Lumbridge

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Karam,
No C&D small batch (carolina red flake/Eight State burley/ Anthology) or GLP quiet nights?? None of them? Holy moly do you prefer strong latakia blends? Just curious
No, haven't tried them, but see what I have tried and the only ones not given away and actually bought more than once were Bayou Morning Flake and Byzantium:
  • Bayou Morning Flake
  • Byzantium
  • Kajun Kake
  • Old Joe Krantz
  • Haunted Bookshop
  • Black Frigate
  • Mississippi Mud - possibly the worst-tasting (and smelling) tobacco I ever had
  • And from GLP, with very high hopes for all of them:
    • Stonehenge Flake
    • Haddo's Delight
    • Gaslight
    • Jackknife stack of leaves. Sorry, meant "plug".
Problem is, I couldn't even remember most of these, had to look at my own reviews on tobaccoreviews to remember what I'd smoked. I smoke most types of blends, in fact Latakia is the one I smoke most rarely - after 10 years of smoking just Nightcap. I mostly smoke Virginias, VaPers, DFK blends and Lakelands. Not liking C&D and GLP is not, or should not be, a slight on the blender or manufacturer. I am not saying they are bad tobaccos, just that there is clearly a philosophy to the blending that does nothing for me.

Reactions: LeafErikson

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The only con i have heard is the horn stems on the vintage line of Ropp’s is rather a narrow draft hole. Now most here would agree a tight hole is usually a welcome addition to their day but finding a pipe cleaner to fit it for the subsequent cleaning is another story 😉
I've heard before of that issue, but mine happens to pass a cleaner easily and has a fairly easy and open draw, as I prefer. Perhaps I lucked out.
I'm not much of a clencher and I like the narrower lip on the horn stem. I would definitely consider getting more of them.

Reactions: LongIslandPiper

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Silem's Black.
I may have received a bad batch. The blend is not adequately packaged, I think. Loose plastic wrapping in a very beautiful, but not airtight, tin. It was bone dry by the time it arrived. I liked Boswell's Northwoods, so I was looking for an Aro English. But, It didn't scratch my itch.
I know you didn’t ask but Try Watch City Old Black Magic if you haven’t already. It’s like Northwoods but way richer and slightly less sweet to me.

Reactions: yanoJL

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I know you didn’t ask but Try Watch City Old Black Magic if you haven’t already. It’s like Northwoods but way richer and slightly less sweet to me.
So far, I've enjoyed everything I've tried from Ernie at Watch City. And I recently visited a Tinder Box store in Palm Springs and purchased a few ounces of their Sherlock, which (I believe) is Lane Limited HGL. And I liked that too. So apparently "crossover" English blends work for me.
I will definitely add a bag of Black Magic to my next Watch City order.
Thank you!

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
At the moment, Capt Black Black Seas. On its heels, Lane Limited BS-005. I got these almost within a month of each other a few years ago. Tried Black Seas offering and it totally turned me off to Latakia based blends. Just wasn’t for me.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Borkum Riff and Amsterdamer. Garbage. Clan isn't much better. It's so widely available that many probably like it.
I'm happy for them but if that was the only blend on earth I would quit smoking.