PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Just about any fruity aromatic cavendish type blends - cherry, peach etc. All blends of this type that I've tried have all disappointed me. I wanted to like cherry blends, and every now and then I try a new fruity aromatic and find it to be a yawn-inducing experience which ends in me dumping 3/4 of the bowl and reaching for the Haunted Bookshop instead.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I sure felt the same way about Orlik Golden Sliced the first couple times I tried it, it pretty much just tasted like dandelions to me. The trick I found to bring out more flavors and make it more interesting is to rub out the flakes and dry it until it's almost crispy. That seems to bring out some green tea and sweet honey notes for me, though I'll be the first to admit that it's still a little boring to me. I think I'm just more of a Burley and aro guy and just don't have much a taste for Virginias.

It's funny how tastes change over time. I'm only in my second year of pipe smoking and 6 months ago I thought Orlik Golden Sliced was boring tasting and just wanted to smoke aromatics, but six months later and I've been feeling kinda tired and bored of aromatics and just wanting to smoke tobacco that tastes like... well, tobacco.

I've been yearning for the return of summer too, so every afternoon lately I've been sitting out in the sunshine smoking Orlik Golden Sliced and really enjoying it. For some reason there's just no other blend that reminds me of summertime quite like Orlik Golden Sliced, and it's been really hitting the spot. I think the 6 months of aging in a Ball jar has really enhanced the flavors and smoothed out the green grassy edges too.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
For me it was probably a toss up between Lane Very Cherry and C&D Visions of Celephaïs. Erinmore was rough too but I think I could grow to like that one.

Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Scottish cake was my biggest disappointment, remember thinking how can anyone smoke this crap, tasted like olive oil and not much else. Now it’s one of my favorites. I still don’t see how folks smoke Haunted Bookshop. Balkan supreme I don’t care for at all, it’s the wintergreen flavor that’s not for me there. Sutliff Match Victorian I haven’t smoked a lot of but the astringent cocoa is pretty rank to me.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Unpopular opinion here. Peterson Nightcap for me.

I don't find anything special about this blend. In the first half of the bowl it is just ok. In the second half of the bowl, it gets weird and tough AF. I don't like it.

I put it in the tin, and i will try it again after months.

Last edited:

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I too agree with most cherry 🍒 blends. Have you ever had KBV Sakura? It’s technically a cherry blossom but the flavor really comes through wonderfully in that blend from Ken
Just about any fruity aromatic cavendish type blends - cherry, peach etc. All blends of this type that I've tried have all disappointed me. I wanted to like cherry blends, and every now and then I try a new fruity aromatic and find it to be a yawn-inducing experience which ends in me dumping 3/4 of the bowl and reaching for the Haunted Bookshop instead

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Unpopular opinion here. Peterson Nightcap for me.

I don't find anything special about this blend. In the first half of the bowl it is just ok. In the second half of the bowl, it gets weird and tough AF. I don't like it.

I put it in the tin, and i will try it again after months.
Have you tried the Dunhill Nightcap or the aged Peterson Nightcap? Just curious

Reactions: john19

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Was just thinking about buying some with the sale at SP. What didn’t you like about it?
No bacon 🥓 at all, nada zilch. I love bourbon old fashioned cocktails so I thought the bourbon/whiskey topping would come through right with a hint of bacon right?! Wrong, all i got was a funky aftertaste, a wisp of whiskey that ebbed - flowed and some burley notes. I tried it in a meerschaum first, then a clay and finally a cob, not one pipe was it any better. Very pathetic, YMMV
- at least the 15% off Ropp sale might yield you better results 😉

Reactions: AroEnglish

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
It's funny how tastes change over time. I'm only in my second year of pipe smoking and 6 months ago I thought Orlik Golden Sliced was boring tasting and just wanted to smoke aromatics, but six months later and I've been feeling kinda tired and bored of aromatics and just wanting to smoke tobacco that tastes like... well, tobacco.

I've been yearning for the return of summer too, so every afternoon lately I've been sitting out in the sunshine smoking Orlik Golden Sliced and really enjoying it. For some reason there's just no other blend that reminds me of summertime quite like Orlik Golden Sliced, and it's been really hitting the spot. I think the 6 months of aging in a Ball jar has really enhanced the flavors and smoothed out the green grassy edges too.
For a kicker, if you are so inclined, you can boost the barnyard funk that is perique and get the blend to 70% OGS and 30% C&D Louisiana perique and that blend sings to me in the summertime in any cob

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Watch City Simply Red (zero flavor)
Watch City Rouxgaroux
Red Hunt (absolutely horrible)
Krampusnacht
Pease Vanilla Cream
Jolly Old St. Nicholas
MM Country Gentleman

To sum things up, I like very few VaPers or just straight virginias... I'm more of a sucker for burley and latakia.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
For me it's anything made by C&D/GLP. They always read great but smoke harsh, dry and monochromatic.
Karam,
No C&D small batch (carolina red flake/Eight State burley/ Anthology) or GLP quiet nights?? None of them? Holy moly do you prefer strong latakia blends? Just curious

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
No bacon 🥓 at all, nada zilch. I love bourbon old fashioned cocktails so I thought the bourbon/whiskey topping would come through right with a hint of bacon right?! Wrong, all i got was a funky aftertaste, a wisp of whiskey that ebbed - flowed and some burley notes. I tried it in a meerschaum first, then a clay and finally a cob, not one pipe was it any better. Very pathetic, YMMV
- at least the 15% off Ropp sale might yield you better results 😉
Re the Ropp sale: I sure hope it will as I have two on the way 😁