PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love Cult blood red moon. I was looking for a less expensive tobacco similar to it and read that Scotty's Bass pond was close. I tried it and found zero similarity in taste. That was disappointing
Check out Lane Ltd. TK-6. I have it from a knowledgeable source that it’s Cult Red Moon without the fancy label.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I don't like to rag on blends because everyone's tastes are different and I'm sure there's plenty of folks who love every blend I've hated, but I will admit there have been a couple blends that were just so heinously awful to my nostrils that I threw out the entire package just from the smell of the tobacco alone without ever even smoking any of it.

The first of those blends was Sir Walter Raleigh original, which I think I got a bad pouch of because it absolutely reeked of vinegar. I was told by several other pipe smokers that it was supposed to smell sweet and like cocoa, but smelling the pouch I got was like sticking your nose into a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips with an extra bottle of malt vinegar dumped in. Something about that pouch definitely wasn't right.

The second one that made it to the trash can without being smoked was a pouch of St. Bruno, which I don't think there was anything wrong with but for some reason the combined aromas of the dark fired Kentucky and whatever floral topping they added just made me nauseous smelling it. I love Ennerdale so I didn't think I'd mind the floral notes of St. Bruno, but something about it just made my stomach do somersaults every time I smelled it and I never could bring myself to smoke it.

For a couple honorable mentions, the widely beloved classic codger blend Half and Half just smelled and tasted like grape cough syrup to me and I ended up pitching all my Old Joe Krantz because every time I smoked it the room note smelled exactly like vomit. The tobacco itself smelled and tasted just fine aside from being a bit barnyard'y, but the smoke wafting off the bowl and room note from it genuinely smelled like someone just tossed their cookies. Blech!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023
I don't like to rag on blends because everyone's tastes are different and I'm sure there's plenty of folks who love every blend I've hated, but I will admit there have been a couple blends that were just so heinously awful to my nostrils that I threw out the entire package just from the smell of the tobacco alone without ever even smoking any of it.

The second one that made it to the trash can without being smoked was a pouch of St. Bruno, which I don't think there was anything wrong with but for some reason the combined aromas of the dark fired Kentucky and whatever floral topping they added just made me nauseous smelling it. I love Ennerdale so I didn't think I'd mind the floral notes of St. Bruno, but something about it just made my stomach do somersaults every time I smelled it and I never could bring myself to smoke it.

St. Bruno was fucking amazing at FIRST. The first bowl was gold. But it fell off hard after a few weeks. Comes out very moist but I think it's better when you don't let it dry. Topping is vanilla toquin and citrus fruit, which is more juicy and interesting when it's wet. I put mine in a mason jar to save, but after a month it faded. I think it's best when it's brand spank new.

Reactions: FurCoat

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Orlik Golden Slices. While its good tobacco its just boring to me. Nothing intersting going on. That said, I know there are people who love the stuff and hate what I smoke.

I sure felt the same way about Orlik Golden Sliced the first couple times I tried it, it pretty much just tasted like dandelions to me. The trick I found to bring out more flavors and make it more interesting is to rub out the flakes and dry it until it's almost crispy. That seems to bring out some green tea and sweet honey notes for me, though I'll be the first to admit that it's still a little boring to me. I think I'm just more of a Burley and aro guy and just don't have much a taste for Virginias.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Good thought Skippy. Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind to try on other blends. Im out of Orlik and there are too many other blends I like better. Im not a burly guy but I do like my VaPers and intermitent lats.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have changed my mind on something and decided to put another tobacco into the "disappointing" pile... C&D Pegasus.

I know how to smoke properly, yes I dry everything, proper cadence, etc... I am not a newbie, it's definitely NOT a technique issue. I also LOVE burley.

While I am sitting here thoroughly enjoying some STG Sir Walter Raleigh (regular), I can't help but think about yesterday's attempt to once again, get anything out of Pegasus.

Maybe the one tin I have is just a bad batch? I know it's beloved by many, both by fans of burley in general, and those otherwise indifferent to it. But to me, at best, it's flavorless air like smoking ultra light cigarettes and at worst, is just ash tasting. I've had some no-nonsense burley without any real added flavoring that was exceptional. And I don't personally need every smoke to be super decadent or complex. I enjoy plenty of very simple and subtle things.

I've tried it more wet and more dry with various cadences both when fresh opened and after some age, and it's just been a huge disappointment every way I can find to have it, and I just don't get it. Maybe it just doesn't agree with my palate for some reason. Because, I like Bob Runowski's other burley blends (hell, some like OJK are in my top favorite overall tobaccos of any genre).

Reactions: RookieGuy80
Aug 11, 2023
They’re putting apricot in Penzance?? When the hell did THAT start?
I mean Pirates have problems wit scurvy. 😯🏴‍☠️

"Their gums grew swollen, the color of bone, then to rot. Tarry blood oozed, teeth droppin’ to deck with none to hold on to. Their legs withered and turned gangrenous, every shade of the peacock’s tail. The worst of us couldn’t fend ‘gainst the ship rats what gnawed at the soles of our feet. “Land ho!” I hears, but only grass and trees on that island. So we drunk upon the sap, and et upon the grass. ‘Twas providence saved us from turning to each other’s flesh, like barenaked savages. And ‘twas that scurvy what left me locked ever since." -👴

EDIT: given it a googlin' it looks like as far back as early last year for sure.

Last edited:

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
OGS has what is most likely a topping of Bergamot Orange. I love Bergamot, thusly, I enjoy OGS. If you like Earl Grey tea, you will most likely enjoy OGS. I suppose I'm of no value to this thread.

Reactions: dcon

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
Wilke rum cake is the only tobacco that I've dumped out in the back yard. My dog rolled on it. I hope I never accidentally buy the Jamaican rum that they use.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh man in my opinion that is a mistake. One of my favorite blends smells like wet socks that have been sitting out for a while then stuffed with blue cheese. Tuskegee Airman by C&D. Seriously awful tin note, wonderful smoke. And many people have the other way smells great and don't like smoking it.
The first of those blends was Sir Walter Raleigh original, which I think I got a bad pouch of because it absolutely reeked of vinegar. I was told by several other pipe smokers that it was supposed to smell sweet and like cocoa, but smelling the pouch I got was like sticking your nose into a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips with an extra bottle of malt vinegar dumped in. Something about that pouch definitely wasn't right.
Oh that's different.
The second one that made it to the trash can without being smoked was a pouch of St. Bruno, which I don't think there was anything wrong with but for some reason the combined aromas of the dark fired Kentucky and whatever floral topping they added just made me nauseous smelling it.
I still would have given it a go. But that's just me.
I love Ennerdale so I didn't think I'd mind the floral notes of St. Bruno, but something about it just made my stomach do somersaults every time I smelled it and I never could bring myself to smoke it.

For a couple honorable mentions, the widely beloved classic codger blend Half and Half just smelled and tasted like grape cough syrup to me and I ended up pitching all my Old Joe Krantz because every time I smoked it the room note smelled exactly like vomit. The tobacco itself smelled and tasted just fine aside from being a bit barnyard'y, but the smoke wafting off the bowl and room note from it genuinely smelled like someone just tossed their cookies. Blech!

Reactions: Skippy B. Coyote