PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
What no Lorenzo's :oops: I love Lorenzo Freehands, great smokers and inexpensive, they were all a rave in the eighties, well known for the fills but still great smokers, you never saw fills on they're rusticated or sandblasted, your all missing out, if you love a great smoker, pick one up cheap.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What no Lorenzo's :oops: I love Lorenzo Freehands, great smokers and inexpensive, they were all a rave in the eighties, well known for the fills but still great smokers
I had a smooth Lorenzo which I bought while I was working in Auckland, NZ in the mid-70s
I had a choice of 2 - it’s identical twin was beautifully grained but more expensive. I really regret being tight-fisted, but money was tight back then

Stupidly gave it away a few years ago when I was thinning the herd

Reactions: tobakenist

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ser Jacopos
Radice
Rovera/Ardor
Il Ceppo

I cant warm up to most Sav designs. I keep looking but nothing has grabbed me yet.
I have no Castellos...I prefer filters but I might just grab one.
Ive liked a few Getetto's but I havent pulled the trigger
A bamboo stem Radice is definitely on my short list.

Ive definitely got a thing for Italian pipes. They have a certain flair for design that checks the right boxes for me.

I forgot...One Caminetto

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've always had an eye drawn to Italian artisans.
Radice was an early interest, and I keep a few in my collection that have proven to be true keepers.

Layely, I've focused more on smaller Italian marques or singular carvers. Le Nuvole and Regina Scarlatta are unique and instantly recognizable. Both deliver great smoking qualities with attention to aesthetic detail.

Becker was an interest, stretching back to when I first started smoking a pipe. I love the shapes and signature profiles, but the mouthpieces of Federico tend to be quite thick and chunky.

Marco Bacigalupi makes pipes with terrific grain and a pinch of mystery. I have two now that implement his central drilling. The draft hole extends the length of the shank and continues into the bowl- so the hole is at the bottom center.
The only criticism I have for his pipes is the size of the draft hole. I haven't measured but they are definitely more narrow than the typical artisan briar. If a piece of tobacco falls in to the draft, it can really impede the draw.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I have a Savinelli Punto Oro 404 that was my second ever pipe purchase, and it remains among my favorites. I also have a Molina bent billiard that smokes great and is really comfortable for its size. We don't hear much about Molinas, but they're made at the old Rossi factory and are another good value brand, not pricey.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I myself have begun the journey through Italian pipes. I actually technically started years ago when I started smoking a pipe and bought several Savinellis. Comparing them to Stanwell and Peterson, Savinelli definitely seemed better engineered and more consistently good overall. I NEVER had a bad one. On some forums I’ve read that Savinellis have had some sporadic QC recently. I’m not sure how accurate that is. They are also beginning to creep up in price. In any case, I wanted to try the smaller “artisanal” Italian brands. I began with Radice Rind in the light red finish. I then purchased. Geppetto (version 2). Next was a Geppetto (version 1). And today I received my first Moretti. My findings have been interesting:

The Radice (approximately $150 with shipping from Al Pascia) is beautiful , but even when ordering I was concerned about the short pipe length (5.2” which isn’t really that short) but particularly about the short shank (about 3/4”). Sure enough the pipe smokes a bit hot. The shank is also I believe pretty thin-walled and the bowl bottom seems to be as well. Maybe Radice saves money by using small briar blocks (rather than discarding) for small pipes. But don’t get me wrong, it’s a BEAUTIFUL pipe and it is actually getting me to work on my cadence. I would definitely consider purchasing another Radice.

Next up was the Geppetto ($95) (ver 2; apparently the second iteration pipes are a bit lower in overall quality than the first version Geppetto; I got this information from a distributor). This is a terrific pipe! The only issue I had was after smoking a few times the stem got very tight. I had to lightly sand the shank mortise and apply graphite pencil to the tenon. It is now fine.

Geppetto ver 1 ($140). Again a beautiful pipe. Stem and shank fit is perfect. Pipe smokes cool and well. The version 1 pipes apparently use the same briar as the Ser Jacopo which cost much more.

Moretti ($120 plus shipping; direct from Moretti in Italy): a gorgeous pipe with gorgeous grain at a great price with amazing customer service. Arrived in New York in TWO DAYS !! Amazing ! Smokes well and cool.

In future I will try Ser Jacopo, Il Ceppo, Caminetto, Rinaldo, maybe Castello. Maybe Viprati and Amorelli.

My conclusions are this : Savinelli CAN ALWAYS be relied upon for a great pipe with great engineering and good finish. Their grain is variable on smooth pipes but you can always return if you aren’t happy. My issues with Savinelli are mostly perception having to do with the fact that they mass produce so many identical pipes, even though my understanding is that they don’t utilize more than 30 people in their shop. I love some of their shapes and find some utterly boring. I also find their rustication and glossy finish results in what feels like plastic rather than briar wood in the hand.

What I feel the smaller Italian companies give you is more of what feels like a one of a kind creation and rustication that is usually much more interesting and tactile than Savinelli.

In the future I will probably stick to these smaller companies like Moretti, and even consider some estate pipes by Castello.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
A final note on pricing: I’m not sure I will ever understand the pricing on pipes. I’ve seen some butt-ugly pipes new and used on eBay and at Smokingpipes.com that are going for the price of some used cars. Then there are pipes in the $95-200 range that are just gorgeous. I think overall the best prices I’ve seen are Moretti pipes direct from shop in Italy , and Radice pipes from Al Pascia in Italy. Even Smokingpipes.com has some very nice Radice’s for $200-225. Not that that is inexpensive, but compared to new Castello for $350-1000, it is still a good deal.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Just a correction : my Radice was closer to $180 including shipping from Al Pascia. Still a good deal, and they have some pipes slightly higher, some slightly lower. Service was terrific and quick shipping by FedEx. I want to try one of their oil cured briar pipes.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Up to now I have Radice, Ser Jacopo, Mastro Geppetto, Ardor, Rinaldo, Caminetto, Cavicchi, L'Anatra, Jacono, Castello, Savinelli and Barontini. I suppose it's safe to say I am thoroughly pleased with Italian Pipes.
How do you find Rinaldo and Caminetto compared to Castello ?

Reactions: rsshreck32

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I love Rinaldo and I am very happy with Caminetto so far. If I had to go with one of the three, it would be Rinaldo. Caminetto and Castello would be neck and neck for second of these three.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I love the Italian pipes I have, but for some reason never collected / accumulated more than a few. Two Ardors and a Rinaldo (purchased from Steve Monjour), those pipes were great from day 1. I have a Ser jacopo (in my avatar purchased from Steve Fallon), a Savinelli (a gift) and a Moretti (direct from Marco). I've met the Italian carvers ages ago at the Chicago show...more than once...and they are talented. Bruto Sordini showed me his work in Chicago once but his pipes were a tad too large for me as I recall....but my gosh that guy was so passionate about his work I nearly got one anyway. The Italians are passionate!

When I collected, I leaned towards single carver shops, skipping the buy from Bruto 20 years ago was a rare miss I regret to this day.

My son has started to collect Moretti, and as has been said, Marco is a great carver. I do not need more pipes but watch his work. Never got a Costello. Would like to someday if I find the right (small) one.