Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
IMG_7566.jpegIMG_7565.jpegWhen I think about Italian pipes, I, like I am sure many others out there, think about Savinelli. But of course there are many other Italian pipe makers and through the years I've own quite a few. However, in the last few years as I've failingly tried to cull my pipe collection, my Italians are now represented by what I think are representatives of some of the finest Italian pipe families out there.

Starting with the top picture at 12 o'clock and going clockwise, I have Radice, Gepetto, Kristiansen, Castello, and my latest, Il Ceppo.

One thing is for certain: Italian pipe design and pipe making are still very much a vibrant and living art.

So, what Italians are you smoking?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
There are definitely a lot of great Italian carvers out there.

Cavicchi and Castello are on my radar next to purchase. The Italians make great pipes.

Pipedia has a pretty extensive list, not sure if it’s covering everyone, and gets updated regularly.

In the 80s I had a Savinelli.

Two years ago I had this Posella Brandy I bought at LePipe.it I sold.

77A15FCD-22EE-4E45-A71A-5A011959A90C.jpeg

Also two years ago, again bought from LePipe.it, I had this Passcucci Lovat I sold.

776A693E-D8F6-4997-A10E-CFAA21BE4566.jpeg

Now at present, I only have these two Radice.

Radice Rind Straight

5B22BA6F-9008-416F-91F6-7DC61B3F4C26.jpeg

Radice Clear Bent Dublin made with Baldo Baldi briar aged over 20 years.

6F0C9649-B718-4573-8E53-BCDA3708FADC.jpeg

These are all the Italians I’ve owned to date...

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I own Castellos (Kinos all), Radices and Savinellis (Corallo di Mares).

In the past I have also owned Ascorti, Il Ceppo, Tom Spanu, Caminetto (Ascorti/Radice Era), Jacono and Pipa Croci.

The ones that I culled were simply because my tastes and preferences changed. Most ended up being bigger pipes or smooth pipes that I no longer smoked. I tend to favor mid-sized pipes that are either sandblasted or rusticated.

The Ascortis and Caminettos were some of my favorites at the time. And the Spanu and Jacono pipes were some of the best "bang-for-the-buck" pipes that could be had. The craftsmanship and briar selection were spot on.

There was only one maker that I was not thoroughly happy with and that was the Pipa Croci. The alignment of the stem and shank was not great and there was always an uneven gap that I didn't feel like getting fixed. Good-looking pipe otherwise.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Ceppo, Brebbia, Viprati, Caminetto, Posella, Regina Scarlatta, and Savinelli. Oddly enough, I had two Castellos I bought new and neither smoked very well and I got rid of them. Just unlucky I guess. Also had a Radice twin bore that I found plain annoying.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve not yet dabbled in Italians. The only one I have is a pocket pipe that is only marked “Rolex” over “Italy”. I’ve only smoked it a couple times.DBE58118-61A0-4D9A-9728-53E3FE8CB2F9.jpeg

I have been eyeballing Sav 114/Rossi 8114 after hearing how well they seem to smoke.
Recent events have adjusted budget so I’ll be eyeballing for a while.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@sablebrush52 has spoken very highly of his Brebbia. As for me, I enjoy the one I own, I just never see a style of theirs that “floats my boat”, otherwise I would own many more.
View attachment 256168
Brebbia Collection.
My Brebbia was my only pipe for years. In fact it's the reason I got a reamer. I could barely get a finger in the chamber :). But it's got all the qualities people talk about with artisian pipes with a factory pipe price.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve not yet dabbled in Italians. The only one I have is a pocket pipe that is only marked “Rolex” over “Italy”. I’ve only smoked it a couple times.View attachment 256165

I have been eyeballing Sav 114/Rossi 8114 after hearing how well they seem to smoke.
Recent events have adjusted budget so I’ll be eyeballing for a while.

The pocket Rolex was made by Brebbia. Savinelli made a near identical pipe.

Savinelli outnumbers all brands in my collection by a good margin. I have a fair amount of Brebbia pipes as well. My interest in Brebbia has much to do with my interest in Savinelli’s history—the two companies are intertwined throughout the ’50s and ’60s.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I really am a fan of Moretti’s work. But I just cannot do those clunky acrylic stems the Italians love. I have tried and tried but just gave up. So I no longer purchase Italian pipes. I still own 2 Savinelli’s. They are good pipes.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have too many to list them all but my absolute favorite Italian briar by far is Amorelli. The briar tastes amazing and I dig his style and class.

Reactions: JOHN72 and PaulRVA