Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The coloring is coming along nicely. Great job!
110 bowls in the last month is almost 4 bowls a day every day. I wish I had the time to do that with some of my meers, because that would definitely help with the coloring on my pipes. With so many meers I just don't commit enough time to really give them some good color. It's shameful I know.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The coloring is coming along nicely. Great job!
110 bowls in the last month is almost 4 bowls a day every day. I wish I had the time to do that with some of my meers, because that would definitely help with the coloring on my pipes. With so many meers I just don't commit enough time to really give them some good color. It's shameful I know.
Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I find the coloring to be intriguing. I’m going to try to keep my meer pipe count between 4-6 so that I’ll be able to smoke the same pipes for decades. I have 1 altinay and 1 tekin that are both keepers. I’m trying to exclusively purchase meers with the permanent briar style mortise like my Tekin and Altinay. I’ll likely get another later this year.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
At first, I just looked at the pics, when I saw that massive cake, I thought it was an Estate you bought.

Don’t build cake in a Meerschaum it’s not needed and it serves no purpose. Cake can also cause the pipe to crack, and reaming isn’t a good thing to do too in a Meerschaum, it could also crack from reaming.

A clean meerschaum smokes better, so the cleaner the better. You should always wipe it out after smoking with a paper towel.

Enjoy, looks really nice...

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
At first, I just looked at the pics, when I saw that massive cake, I thought it was an Estate you bought.

Don’t build cake in a Meerschaum it’s not needed and it serves no purpose. Cake can also cause the pipe to crack, and reaming isn’t a good thing to do too in a Meerschaum, it could also crack from reaming.

A clean meerschaum smokes better, so the cleaner the better. You should always wipe it out after smoking with a paper towel.

Enjoy, looks really nice...
1. I wipe it out after almost every smoke already. I’m not sure exactly how those of you who avoid cake by wiping out the bowl are able make that work in perpetuity, but that simply doesn’t work for me. I wipe it out and I still get cake, albeit at a slower pace, on all of my pipes.

2. I didn’t ream it, I scraped out the bowl. I’ve never heard of or seen meerschaum cracking from cake other than from people on this forum. I’ve seen hundreds of meers that are 100+ years old with way more cake and lava than mine that are not cracked. The other wives tale is that they crack in the cold.

3. Cake is also difficult to photograph and can be deceiving.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
1. I wipe it out after almost every smoke already. I’m not sure exactly how those of you who avoid cake by wiping out the bowl are able make that work in perpetuity, but that simply doesn’t work for me. I wipe it out and I still get cake, albeit at a slower pace, on all of my pipes.

2. I didn’t ream it, I scraped out the bowl. I’ve never heard of or seen meerschaum cracking from cake other than from people on this forum. I’ve seen hundreds of meers that are 100+ years old with way more cake and lava than mine that are not cracked. The other wives tale is that they crack in the cold.

3. Cake is also difficult to photograph and can be deceiving.

Starting on a cleaned out chamber, if you wipe it out immediately after smoking, especially that moment when the chamber is still warm, that’s the best time for all pipes, as the tar/resins will be softer, more pliable, there shouldn’t be much of anything to wipe out.

A clean chamber, and then one bowl smoked, won’t build any cake after only one bowl.

I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you, as to what those reasons are? 🤔

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Starting on a cleaned out chamber, if you wipe it out immediately after smoking, especially that moment when the chamber is still warm, that’s the best time for all pipes, as the tar/resins will be softer, more pliable, there shouldn’t be much of anything to wipe out.

A clean chamber, and then one bowl smoked, won’t build any cake after only one bowl.

I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you, as to what those reasons are? 🤔
I already do that. I have done that after almost every single bowl, as I just repeated to you above. I’ve said that now twice on this thread, so in this case, I’ll be very, very clear. I’m am not soliciting any advice on how to care for my pipes. Not a single bit of advice. If I was seeking advice I would’ve said so or started another thread. I am just sharing coloring pics for fun. Thank you.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
It's really too bad that this thread is likely going towards being put down.

Nice pipe, @LeafErikson I have enjoyed following the coloring process. Please keep us updated as it progresses
I think we can keep it alive as both sides have come to a mutual understanding of each other's opinions.

I would love to see more pics the more you smoke @LeafErikson

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's really too bad that this thread is likely going towards being put down.

Nice pipe, @LeafErikson I have enjoyed following the coloring process. Please keep us updated as it progresses
I've deleted a ton of posts, some so long I didn't read them, but knew in general what tone it had, in order to keep this otherwise good thread alive.

I hope El Cap. is right.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii