PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’ve smoked this Tekin pipe exclusively since Dec 12 and have smoked around 110 bowls in it. I’ll keep smoking it and updating this thread with any further coloring. I had a bowl in a briar today and will do that every so often but this will be the primary pipe I smoke for the next few months at least. I’m not exactly a photography expert so apologies if the white balance isn’t exact but the pictures seem to reflect what my eyes have been seeing.

IMG_2647.jpeg
0 smokes

IMG_2985.jpeg
45ish smokes

IMG_3056.jpeg
65-70 smokes

IMG_3190.jpeg
IMG_3191.jpeg
IMG_3194.jpeg
110 smokes

IMG_3163.jpeg
Before reaming

IMG_3175.jpeg
After reaming

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Good progression of colour

I take it you have just let the cake form and ream only when it gets too thick ?

Have you been using cleaners in the airways ?
I have been wiping out the chamber every so often with a wet paper towel or a dry pipe cleaner doubled over. I still got cake anyway. I blow the moisture back through the stem after each bowl. Once I’m done smoking and I know I’m not going to pack another bowl right after I’ll let it cool and run a pipe cleaner through the stem just so it doesn’t get all nasty and gunked up.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Very nice. In my experience it's very unusual to get nearly uniform coloring like that, especially on the bowl...and in only 110 smokes makes it even more unusual.
It’s absolutely unusual I agree. I have an Altinay with way more coloring on the shank but it’s essentially pure white still on the bowl, even after 500+ bowls. Those 500 bowls though have been smoked over a 2 year period.

IMG_3196.jpeg

The one thing that makes this Tekin different is that I’ve never smoked just one meerschaum for that many consecutive bowls over such a long period of time. Basically 3-4 bowls a day for a month.

Another layer to the onion is the fact that since the bowl is so large and I’m not a huge clencher, I tend to hold the pipe in my hand. I also hold it in between my index and middle finger like a cigarette by the shank. Maybe the reason it looks so uniform is because of hand oils or something? Not sure. My hands are always clean when I touch it but I do handle it essentially the whole time I smoke.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had one that appeared translucent some time ago colored well fairly quickly.

View attachment 279489
That's very nice. How many bowls did it take to get to that color? For some reason I can never ever achieve that warm glow color on my pipes. Maybe it's the stuff I smoke and the high moisture content I like in my tobacco. Thats really nice!