PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
If you have a thoery on how we all should be thinking, start a blog. You can read it to yourself everyday.
We'll stick to furthering our hobby.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you have to tell someone that you told a joke, it wasn't much of a joke. Or, maybe it was over their head and they were not the intended audience.
Skapunk1: I appreciate the admonition and criticism. In deference to you I will try to be pithier, more succinct, more direct and to the point, even terser and more concise, less wordy, and even less verbose in the future.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
feel free to hurt my feeling (singular)... I have had good and bad interactions with people here...just like real life. Imagine that! Sometimes I'm the A$$hole sometimes I'm not...just like real life. Not everyone is going to value your input, just as you do not values everyone else's. But to take your ball and go home seems odd to me, that's part of the allure to me. How dull a world without opinions would be. There's no magical forum out there void of assholes and controversy. I perhaps agree with Davidson that the tone has darkened of late but I still enjoy coming here. For every ass clown there are at least 5 people who genuinely want to learn and teach and share what they know about pipes. Honestly best of luck finding forum nirvana.

iPhones, computers, iPads, facetime, social networks, email, TM's, PM's, IM's, etc...

You know, with all of the things that we have built to separate ourselves in the name of coming together, some people may go all day without ever speaking to another person. I used to set at a workbench with headphones for 8-10 hours, and no one was at home waiting to hear about my day. I remember actually looking forward to going grocery shopping, just to be able to interact with someone in the check out line. Of course, now that I have two teenage daughters, I long for those days of solitude, but for some, online forums might just be their only form of reaching out beyond just paying for a candy bar.
Joking is great. Some of you guys have a gift for cracking me up, but some forms of humor pits someone as the butt of the joking, and while, yes, forums are full of different types of characters. Use at your own risk, yes, but we don't exactly have to stomp on someone else's thin ice. This just may be their outlet for socialization.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Warren- We do have a secret handshake, but we can't tell you it till you are purple! JK!....Or am I? :nana:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm not sure that 'thin skinned' is the correct way to put this situation. Maybe now that I'm older, I try to think more about what I write can affect others; as Drwatson said, facial expressions are important in communication. What may hysterically funny when one on one may come off as rude and harsh on the printed page. I liken it to a boorish individual who pushes ahead in line, or someone who flies in the face of some other socially excepted 'norm'. I'm not talking about being 'PC', heavens no. But there are some simple rules that I thought this forum had, other than capitalizing letters in a new thread.
I'm guessing that some members have read the back and forth between Peck and Cigrmaster and not discerned the difference between actual good natured banter and being outright insulting.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Instymp: a "box pass" is where grown men behave like 9 year olds.
For the gracious administrator, I imagine it is both a headache and a labor of love for the hobby and its participants.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What I find amusing is that the easily offended are often the first to resort to profanity and ad hominems. While I may have inferred that someone here was wearing his offended state on his sleeve, not once did I hurl insults or invectives his way. Now, perhaps I am misunderstanding this secret code of conduct. Perhaps I'm not supposed to take notice when someone's misplaced attitude of entitlement causes them to be so hurt that they have to loudly announce their departure, then wait around for pleas and plaudits. Am I the only one who sees this as amusingly childish? Now please don't find this offensive, but perhaps those amongst us who are easily bruised, dented, spindled or mutilated, who have a deficit of humor, irony, pathos, pun, parody, hyperbole or satire need to draw up a code of conduct for the rest of us who simply live our lives as emotional Neanderthals. Yes, please tell us what we need to do and tell us exactly how we should go about it, so that we never have to go down this road of pain again. And please be specific, we're a little slow, don't you know.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Perhaps I'm not supposed to take notice when someone's misplaced attitude of entitlement causes them to be so hurt that they have to loudly announce their departure, then wait around for pleas and plaudits. Am I the only one who sees this as amusingly childish?
I just re-read the original post, what I take away from the OP is a simple reach out to let folks know that he won't be active for a while, and to provide a way for folks to stay in touch with him if they want. I didn't read any "misplaced attitude of entitlement" in the original post.
"Is this part where we beg you to stay?" -- That post, however, DOES, resemble a misplaced attitude of entitlement. Why you felt the need to hijack a fellow forum member's thread to throw a sarcastic barb is hard for me to understand. I also don't understand your desire to continue to antagonize when it became clear, through subsequent posts, that the OP found this offensive. You have made it clear that you'll be who you are. I just want you to know that your perspective isn't the only one out there.
$0.05 in the bucket.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pruss, his thread is a continuation of the box pass thread. There's a bit of history. To my small mind, the OP was quite disturbed that he wasn't getting what he was due, then decided to leave the forum. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's leaving for other reasons. Maybe it's a bad assumption on my part. Maybe not. So, yes, if you are just looking at the first post here, I can easily see your point. I also understand that not everyone sees things the way that I do. Few people, in fact, see things as I do. I like that, but I recognize that there are people who do not. That's OK, too. Butting heads over this isn't going to change minds.
Maybe y'all should re-read what exactly I've said here. I've been the least verbose (prior to these two missives) of almost anyone.
I said it before, and I'll say it again: 05, Sorry that you found that offensive....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Woodsroad: I was about to point out that this entire thread was triggered by the other thread. And, I might, at the risk of pontificating and being verbose, point at that when a problem with the box was identified a couple of involved members took the posture of trying to solve the problem, or at least attempt to mitigate the frustrations. My kind of folks!
It does scare me a little that I tend to see things the way you do. (We need a wry face emoticon!)
"Let's quit complaining and see if we can fix this!" Is an attitude I highly esteem.
As an aside, I hardly think that this is the thread to bring up hominems. We are all the same under the skin. Now, let's all try and get along. Can't we just . . . just . . . get along!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Woodsroad, let's chat about this statement, "Sorry you found that offensive... "
Which is not the same as, "I am sorry I offended you," or, "Dude, I was being sarcastic, I'm sorry that I made you angry." In your statement you place the emphasis on him being offended not on your own statement being offensive. This to suggest that, as with your earlier statements and posts in this thread , you're really not posting in this thread to relate to the

OP and his post, but to insert yourself in antagonistic way either for cheap shots or sarcastic jabs, or for laughs at someone else's expense (except for your last couple posts which read like a defence of your earlier barbs).
This isn't the "Box Pass" thread, this is the "Taking a Break My Friends" thread. Why you felt the need to take shots at 05venturer here is known only to you. Why you choose to defend your attitude and your posts is also your prerogative. I just think both are offside.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pruss, I'm not sure what you don't understand about "Sorry". I've been straight up. You may postulate all you wish about my motives, parse my statements, deconstruct and demagog, I suppose you enjoy that, but you are wrong.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't have a horse in this race, but Pat is right. "Sorry you found that offensive" is not an apology. If you're going to apologize you say, "I was wrong, I'm sorry and won't do it again." If you can't say that, then don't bother with half-measures.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
"I suppose you enjoy that," just another incorrect assumption from you Woodsroad.
I was simply pointing out that your posts in this thread were unnecessarily antagonistic and sarcastic.
-- Pat

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Kent, I'm sorry this happened to you, and even more sorry to see you go for a while. You have been a great contributor to this forum.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.