PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pruss: The two threads are intrinsically joined. In defense of woodsroad, and he is perfectly capable of defending himself, one simply can't separate the two threads as the "Box" and the SNAFU with the box, resulted in histrionics which I think irritated more than a couple of members. The resulting, "Taking a Break" thread triggered some responses which, while no doubt upsetting to the OP, were certainly not out of line. Uncalled for? Perhaps? Unwarranted? I think woodsroad simply responded to an itch that needed scratching. But, the situation certainly does not necessitate chastisement from others uninolved in the little ado.
Let's let the mods do the policing. If you perceive a problem or violation of the rules, bring the problem to the mods attention and get a "ruling on the field." So far, no flag, no foul.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Warren, I'm not kidding myself about policing the forum. It ain't my bag, and I'm not interested. I do think that I'm entitled to share my opinion, which is all I'm doing. I like your comment above, "Can't we all get along?" Wouldn't that be nice? I'm guessing it would be easier if folks avoided taking cheap shots at each other.
-- Pat

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
partly assholes like this.
You say your leaving, and on the way out you call people kidding with you "Assholes".
Don't let the door hit you in the "Ass".
Ba Bye

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sure didn't come out as kidding. Came out like a pretty nasty remark.
A nasty remark is calling someone an asshole.
A nasty remark is making a statement that there are "better" forums with "better" people somewhere else.
A nasty remark is asking if we should beg him to stay.
A nasty remark is posting "are you still here?"
Making an observation that can be verified by an internet search is not nasty.
Why, might I ask, are you "choosing sides"?

Aug 1, 2012
A nasty remark is calling someone an asshole.
Actually, that is a nasty response to a nasty remark in this case. A bit of a technicality but necessary nonetheless.
A basic grasp of social norms does let one know that "Is this part where we beg you to stay?" is a remark intended to be inflammatory and condescending. It follows that the remark would be considered nasty.
Making an observation that can be verified by an internet search is not nasty.
So he indicated openly that the thread was intended to solicit begging to return? I can't seem to find that in my internet search. Curious.
Why, might I ask, are you "choosing sides"?
Before I answer I put your own question to you. Why are you choosing sides?

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Not meaning to ruffle anyone's feathers, but just to add a little context: when I see a thread started for the sole purpose of announcing one's departure, I will immediately see it as a cry for attention.
Not that that's always the case; but if you make a big to-do about it yet don't explain why you're leaving, you do kinda open yourself up to people's assumptions...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
pseudo: Interesting observation. If the OP had just stated that he was leaving and given . . . any old reason, all this would probably not have happened. His friends would have wished him well and the thread would die a happy death. But, as he played coy and provided no reason for the departure he left a bit of a puzzle. A clue indeed!
His post begged the question, why. Inquiring minds wanted to know. As there is now a question, the mind must construct answers. That's just human nature. Of course, since this is all coupled to the "box" thread . . . that's where people's minds go.
Then in the same post he stated that in fact he wasn't leaving. What's the point of announcing that you are leaving and then follow that up with the fact that you will be lurking? Verrrry interesting!
There's evidence, supposition and . . . well the answer is obviously, Miss Scarlett did it with the rope in the library. Case solved!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just letting you all know that I will be taking a break from this forum for awhile. I will still check in once in awhile but will most likely not be posting much at all anymore.

I am active on a couple of other forums both pipe and cigar related with the same member name of 05venturer and if you want to reach me my email is venturer2005@gmail.com
As i said I do not plan to completely leave this forum but will most likely not be very active.

Happy Puffing my friends.
Kent
I see what is going on and had to add a post stating what I thought was obvious by the above post

In no way was I looking for anyone to beg me to stay,nor did I ever say anything about the other forums I frequent being better than PM Forums, I actually cut my teeth on this forum and actually consider a lot of members here friends. I actually have moved to cigars a lot more than my pipes lately and am really enjoying them. I still smoke my cobs but not near as much as I find myself reaching for a stick these days.
It is true that the debacle with the box pass did upset me a bit but not enough to get me to quit the forum. I was then very upset at what to me looked like some personal jabs at me and with some things going on in my personal life right now I really don't need that. I for one am not "thin skinned" as has been apparently predetermined by a few. And I would say nothing on here that I would not say in person to anyone, I do not "hide" behind my keyboard. I do find it disheartening that a few have had to continually keep this going to the point it is at but that does to me show why I needed to "take a break" as I originally stated.

Thanks to those of you who understood and respected my post. To the rest I am sorry if I offended any of you or if you weren't completely aware of what I have going on behind the scenes. I probably should have waited to respond to the first jab instead of calling a few members assholes but it was the way I was thinking and if it would have happened in person I would have said the same thing. I hope this can be put to rest. :!:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
05: That certainly puts to rest the discussion and your timing is excellent as it was starting to get a bit personal with some of the members. I, for one, appreciate you taking the time to offer further explanation. It certainly wasn't necessary but, it is appreciated as it puts the questions to rest.
While your initial post could and, most likely, should have been taken at face value, questions arose so answers were postulated. We started to have a bit of fun, some did not see the humor, at your expense and for that I apologize.
I sincerely hope that you find satisfaction in the cigars and that, more importantly, the personal problems you mentioned are satisfactorily resolved. And quickly.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kent, I appreciate and respect your returning to this mess to set the record straight. I sincerely apologize for the thoughtless comments that I made at your expense. I didn't need to know whatever else was going on in your life to see that what I said was out of line. I kicked you when you were down, and there is no excuse for that. My misguided remarks were, indeed, a poor attempt at humor, a shot in the dark without knowing who is on the other side.
Since I can't step backwards on my comments, the best that I can do is to step forward and wish you the best in dealing with whatever issues are plaguing you, and to hope that you find quiet pleasure in a good cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.