PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Love the way people are showing their true colors. I was starting to regret my post about assholes but I guess I was right after I came back and read a few more replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
+100 Chris
This forum is and has become a brotherhood for may of us, and for any one member to torment another is just BAD FORM! (with of coarse the exception of the infamous starcat posting).
05- Although we have never had any personal discussions, you shall be missed! Maybe just take a small break, as the trolls have a way of going back under their bridges after awhile.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Vaya con Dios.
I learned a loooooong time ago to ignore the trolls. Although, if they hang around it's sometimes fun to feed 'em, egg 'em on a bit as it were.
I also do not read and then reread threads that irritate me. Forums are made up of many different opinions and viewpoints. If one gets too proprietary and develops an unwarranted sense of ownership with a forum . . . disappointment will surely follow. Forums evolve as the members change and the median age changes. Indeed, at times its good to move on or take a break. This is especially true when a forum morphs into something that makes one uncomfortable.
I would never try and understand Woodsroad. You either get it or, you don't. I enjoy the young Carlin, but as he aged he got lazy, or maybe he simply lost his muse, and he quit being cerebral and went with easy. Newhart never lost his way but, not everyone got him. What tickles my funny bone is most definitely wry humor. Woodsroad is good with the snappy retort. Some will interpret that as cold or unfeeling. Rickles gets old in a hurry but, he is really funny in small doses. Steve Allen was never not funny in my opinion. Poundstone is hardly ever funny. Again, I am expressing only my opinion. I would never try and tell someone what is funny and what's not.
No-one should try and go through life never being offended. If you only read what you like, listen to only to those you agree with, or ignore the millions of people who do not see the world your way, well . . . you will lead a very safe and a very dull life.
My humor runs to word play, the cynical and arcane. (As a retired cop my humor can also be very offensive, I try and curb that, using it only with other people who have witnessed man at his worst. They are the only people who would understand and appreciate it.) Some like that type of humor and others move on to a different circle of friends.
I never care if I disgruntle someone. Gruntled people are boring. smug, usually overly concerned with self and, I find them quite humorless. Besides I, myself am never gruntled all the time. Sometimes I get very disgruntled and have to spend time regruntling myself. If you have ever tried to attain the seate of "gruntled" you know that it worth the time and effort.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
With the amount that some people get offended by sarcasm on this forum, I REALLY hope they don't go anywhere else on the internet!!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Warren
I agree with much of what you have written, except that the general tone of this forum is one of helpful friendliness, with occasional humored barbs at one another. The barbs, so far in my over a year on this forum, all seem to be good natured, not mean spirited as I'm finding them now.
There is a difference.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Latbomber, while that may be true, this forum has definitely had a significant change in tone of late and in my humble opinion not for the better. Less pipe talk, more barbs and some rather questionable comments. I hope things settle down and we concentrate again on pipes and tobacco.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Latbomber, while that may be true, this forum has definitely had a significant change in tone of late and in my humble opinion not for the better. Less pipe talk, more barbs and some rather questionable comments. I hope things settle down and we concentrate again on pipes and tobacco."
I couldn't agree more, BR. If I want to watch wacky videos, I'll go to YouTube. If I want to hear about someone's personal life, I'll talk with a close friend or family member. Personally I come here to discuss pipes and tobacco, and for everything else there's real life.
05 I can understand your frustration. Don't let the kids bother you.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
"Latbomber, while that may be true, this forum has definitely had a significant change in tone of late and in my humble opinion not for the better. Less pipe talk, more barbs and some rather questionable comments. I hope things settle down and we concentrate again on pipes and tobacco."
I couldn't agree more, BR. If I want to watch wacky videos, I'll go to YouTube. If I want to hear about someone's personal life, I'll talk with a close friend or family member. Personally I come here to discuss pipes and tobacco, and for everything else there's real life.
05 I can understand your frustration. Don't let the kids bother you.
:clap:
Exactly.
Open roads, Venturer.
-- Pat

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Allan: Well stated. If its malicious, its not humor.
However, if the forum is looking for new members then all of us, and I'm a fairly new member myself, need to accept that as the forum gains new members, it also gains new insight, new perspectives, and now and then someone who doesn't quite fit the profile that many members would appreciate. Perhaps, if they are unacceptable they could be ostracized, black balled, as it were and stripped of their membership.
I had a friend, he was a Texan, that many of my friends just couldn't abide. He was typical Texan, brusque and short tempered. He also had a heart of gold and would drop everything to help someone, even a stranger.
Friends would ask how I could tolerate Jim. I responded that he was what he was and that he had enough strengths to warrant accepting his warts. A truer and more exasperating a friend you couldn't have.
My suggestion is that if you find a thread you don't like, that takes a devious turn, or that you are uncomfortable with, do not continue to read it. And, most definitely do not revisit it. If someone posts an opinion you disagree with, argue your point politely and well. If you are uncomfortable with a person's sense of humor you have a couple of choices; don't read their posts, gently upbraid them, or point them out to the moderators as unacceptable to your sense of propriety.
My mother, rest her soul, used to tell me that the world revolved around me. I think I was in my forties when I realized that it didn't. Some learn that lesson earlier in life, some later. I still like to believe that it does, but I know in heart that it really doesn't. Now it revolves around my wife.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I think part of the problem is that when typing you have to choose words VERY carefully, as some things don't come across the way they might verbally. Tones and facial expressions are lost. I personally like the WACKY videos as they break up some of the routine posts, and I would be willing to bet for many of us this forum may be "THE SOCIAL MEDIA" site we choose. So I like seeing the kids,dogs,etc.. But again that's just me.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If I want to watch wacky videos, I'll go to YouTube. If I want to hear about someone's personal life, I'll talk with a close friend or family member. Personally I come here to discuss pipes and tobacco, and for everything else there's real life.
Just a small addition here ...
Yes, it is a pipe and tobacco forum.

That means that all the members have this interest in common.

However, it's not our only interest and we have a very diverse group.

If all we ever talked about with each other was pipes and tobacco that would get boring quickly.
Personally, I DO want to hear about fellow members' lifes and either rejoice or sympathize with them.

For example, 05Venturer posted pics of his motorcycle awhile back ... happens to be my favorite bike!

We occasionally have a member who is sick or has ailing family members as well.

The support and well wishes from this community always seem very well received and appreciated.
All I'm saying is, we ARE a COMMUNITY ... not just a pipe club.

Best wishes to all!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't understand, so what you guys are saying essentially is that trolls are real and they use computers and post on this pipe forum? I'm intrigued by still confused.

Aug 1, 2012
I understand where you are coming from Kent. This forum used to have the reputation of being welcoming and helpful. Now it's becoming a place where we try to run off members like you and starcat. Too bad that it's being ignored by the powers that be.
Now woodsroad is going to try, and fail again, to say something clever.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Ah, but is it a closed community? A gated community? I like, indeed revere my pipes. I've learned more about tobacco in the past few months than I learned in 50 plus years of smoking. I've also thoroughly enjoyed the banter, lighthearted and otherwise.
That said, I'm not thin skinned, a copper you know, and I try to be tolerant. I respect Kevin's right to tolerate whom he wishes on this site and will refrain from second guessing his judgement and that of the mods.
A community indeed! I've not been to a community where everyone thought the same, had the same sense of humor, same taste in music, tobacco, or any number of other things. And, I've lived in Russia for extended periods of time. It's diversity (to use a favorite term of the, rather intolerant, PC crowd) that makes life fun, amusing, interesting, and life-like. An entire world of same thinking individuals would be boring indeed!
This isn't a club with a secret handshake and arcane rituals that are required for membership. It's Kevin's site. I think he is a fairly open minded, tolerant individual and how he operates this site should not be disparaged. If you have a criticism, man up and send him a personal message. And, if you must criticize, give some thought to providing him with solutions to the problems you perceive to exist.
I don't want to come across as preaching but, I always told my subordinates not to come into my office with a complaint unless the had a solution to present at the same time.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Your plight in not coming across as preachy is an ultimate fail. Every post is like an essay.
Its just a matter of respect. Buddy's havin a hard time here, and we put his issues under a microscope.
Wanna joke? Just put a JK at the end for just kidding. Emotions rarely come across well in print
There's a time and a place. Try and think.
Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.