PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I wish I could smoke in the house, it would be nice since it is so hot out here! But, my girl complains that she can smell my pipes when they are just sitting on the rack inside the house haha!

mailboylou

Lurker
Jul 20, 2012
I'm lucky in this respect, too.
Recently broke up with my gf of some 5 years, and have house to self to indulge in all day/night.
Mind you, prior to that, we were both heavy cig smokers indoors (50+ sticks each per day).
After 20 years of smoking cigs more or less continuously I have, in the last 2 weeks, migrated back to the (non inhaling) pipe smoking for 90% of my daily needs (I tend to smoke about 5 - 6 1/2 filled bowls spaced throughout the day to keep on top of the tail end of my nicotine cravings, with maybe 3 - 5 cigs thrown in the routine).
Want to be 100% exclusive to the pipes by next weekend, and would like to arrive at a point of ~3 full bowls per day (breakfast/afternoon/post-dinner) within a month or so.
My brother, who is an ex smoker, visited tonight for a few drinks, and he was quite pleased to finally be with me in a house where all he got was the odd wiff of a Dunhill EMP or Petersons University Flake, rather than a half pack of cig smoke second-handed onto his clothing. Funnily enough, he was the one who got me into pipes back in our teen years:)
Having said all that, will have to let this place go shortly, as I can't afford the bills solo, so will bunk at my folks' for awhile, in which case I'll be outside to light up...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
50 sticks a day...
18250 cigs per year...
Divided by 20 cigs per pack = 912.5 packs per year.
Cost for a pack of cigs in TX is $5 per pack, = $4562.50 per year spent on cigs. Holy crap.
If we say a pound of pipe tobacco is about $40 per pound, that's about 114 pounds(51.71kg) of pipe tobacco you could have been smoking per year instead lol.
I have to smoke outside. SWMBO decrees it.

mailboylou

Lurker
Jul 20, 2012
Cost down here in Australia was running me around $27.50 AUD per day (pack of 50) or 2 x ~$18 (2 x pack of 30) depening on my mood on any given day.
Even smoking fully taxed, decent blends, I'm already waaaaaay ahead $$S wise - the EMP cost me $43 and the UF was $45 (both in 50g tins).
Cheap "drug store" pouches go for round $35 for 50g.
Originally, I planned on quitting smoking cold turkey, as my biggest drive was a financial one (with those prices, obviously) - but then I thought "hey... I can swing this if I go back to pipes and yet still indulge, and in a far healthier way to boot" :)
Plan on heading over the pond in the next couple years, thankfully - my father lives in TX, too;)

mailboylou

Lurker
Jul 20, 2012
LOL Don't I know it.
Everything costs TONS more down here - I could get a nice house + land in my dad's general area of Houston (a nice sub division in Humble) for ~$100-$150k, down here, the place I'm in now, in a nice area of Sydney, which is an old/small/crap falling down shack... the land alone is worth $600k+ for a similar sized block.
Beer? Our standard domestic beers down here, the real bog standard stuff, the equivalent for you of a Bud or Coors, is around $40 for a case of 24, as is a 700ml bottle of JD and such like.
Our taxation is flippin nuts.
Edit: I stand corrected, it's $47 for JD when not on special at the supermarket.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I'm visiting Australia this winter. I guess I need to bring extra cash.
To bring it back to the thread, I recently moved two years ago. The basement has two finished rooms. So one became my smoking room. I also use a HEFA air filtration system to reduce smoke smell.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Cost for a pack of cigs in TX is $5 per pack, = $4562.50 per year spent on cigs. Holy crap.
I still smoke Marlboro Special Blend but I never buy by the pack-that's crazy. You can get a whole carton here of that brand for about $34-36 depending where you buy them. I couldn't go through 50 "sticks"(2 1/2 packs per day)time wise or money wise. A carton will last me right at a week or a tad more. I'm smoking the pipe a lot trying to substitute the cigs but, it's an uphill battle since I've smoked cigs since 1960 consistently.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love to smoke outside, but with the constant wind, it is a headache. I am planning on buying a few wind screens to help with that.
Fortunately my wife lets me smoke in the house. Of course she thinks it is much more appealing than finding "empty" cans of soda filled with spit.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
I only smoke my pipe inside.
55" LED Smart TV with Netflix built-in & a nice recliner, who could resist?
The Girlfriend generally doesn't mind as long as she agrees with the roomnote. If she doesn't... I MIGHT consider smoking whatever it is when she's not around. :lol:

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I pretty much smoke inside most of the time now. Haven't been able to up until recently, so I'm really enjoying it.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Once and a while I do, but in this nice weather, I love sitting on the deck with a bowl...but my wife doesn't mind at all.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
This thread shows the truth of one of Robert's Rules: No one understands anyone else's marriage.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Whats a good Smoke eating candle or a good air cleaner? I buy some cheapy candles at big lots and such they smell good I think but any recommendation in this area is great.. If its not 95+ outside or lower the 40 its out on the deck but it was 104 today in Wichita KS so enjoying a inside smoke.. After all I live with no one but the Dachshund he don't care one way or the other

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I definitely enjoy a smoke outside weather permitting. However, I sort of screwed myself on the smoking inside. My live in girlfriend claims to be allergic to any kind of smoke. She of course uses this to keep my pipe smoking out of the house. I was tired of sweating in the garage during the Texas summer heat so I thought I'd be clever and have a bowl in my man cave one night after she went to bed. She never comes in the room so I figured she'd never know by the morning. Unfortunately my "don't ask don't tell" policy went down the drain when I decided to crack the window........she had set the alarm system without me knowing on her way to bed. She caught me red handed once the alarm went off. I had to use baby wipes for weeks after that ass chewing. Back to the garage for me.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
jtaggie320: Query.....Who is the man in your house? Who wears the pants? Who pays the bills? Seems to me a good man woman relationship requires a bit of manly assertiveness. Grow your balls and smoke your pipe. When it comes to allergies you should become allergic to bullshit. It makes for healthful living.

Status
Not open for further replies.