PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have a den where I smoke most days.
There's no air-return in that room, so even with the AC running, the smell is limited to that room. Every other day or so -- or after a Lat-heavy bowl -- I burn the smoke-eating candle for a while after.
Although she declines to join me when I'm smoking, my bride enjoys spending time in there with me -- two comfiest chairs in the house -- and says the post smoke smell is like a tobacco shop -- which she doesn't mind at all.
This weekend it poured rain Sunday afternoon -- typical here in the wet season -- and I had the window open for that smoke, just to hear the rain. But not usually.
(I do love my den.)

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Just started pipe smoking after quitting the 'nails' months ago. I smoke an E-cig during work but do like to sit on the front porch in the evening. So far I'm a one bowl a day pipe guy except for weekends when I have two sometimes. :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I only have my pipe in the house, but I keep it to my turf (the "man-cave" is the term) and I make sure to have windows open/keep the room clean. We don't have kids.
I don't smoke outside but I'd love to. That's more due to my continuing failure to build a new deck. :D

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I guess to me, I do indeed feel lucky that I have a gal and grown children that don't mind my pipes or pipe smoking. I guess they look at it as an extension of who I am. In a couple of months the gal pal will become Mrs. Beewrangler and we have chosen to make her home our domicile and rent this one out. She has already taken into consideration a room devoted to my love of pipe smoking and the outdoors, ( a unisex friendly man cave if you will). BUT, if she would have asked that I smoke the pipes outdoors or in the garage, I would have looked at it as just what life has handed me, and made do with what I had to work with. I feel that at this stage in my life, and considering the PC of smoking and non smoking, I am a very fortunate fella to have a tolerant better half. And in the grand scheme of things, I feel no more luckier or fortunate than those who smoke outside, cause whether its outdoors, in the den, on the deck, patio, or standing in the middle of the woods, or middle of your favorite fishing hole, its a hella of a lot better than not being able to enjoy it at all.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
whether its outdoors, in the den, on the deck, patio, or standing in the middle of the woods, or middle of your favorite fishing hole, its a hella of a lot better than not being able to enjoy it at all.
Amen !!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke in my house in the summer because it is just too hot out. When the weather cools I am outside on my front porch in the mornings and then to my lanai in the afternoons.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
me and a mini Dachshund is all that I have so when it is hot as hell out like it is here over 100+ like this month in KS I smoke in my Apt.. Its relaxing and I enjoy watching a western or mystery

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If I had a house I'd smoke in it.
I don't smoke below on the boat. If the weather is bad I'll stand in the companion way so I'm hidden from the wind under the dodger.
When the weather is nice, sitting on deck or in the cockpit is the best. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I occassionally will smoke in the house, it doesn't bother the wife either. I like to smoke in my den(reconfigured 3rd bedroom/manspace)that contains my most personal collections and items. So, I don't mind this room to have a pipe/tobacco smell.
-Jason

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Mick, this fellow hangs around and will harvest a dove whenever he feels like it. He's sitting on my deck railing giving me the evil eye.
IMG_0515.JPG

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I only smoke outdoors, but we have a nice porch and porch furniture - so it's not bad. My wife doesn't care for tobacco smoke. I like a early morning pipe and late night pipe or cigar, so temperature is not to much of a problem in summer.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Dochudson that is outstanding. Not a peregrine, right? The flecks go the wrong direction. (Or am I wrong?)
We have a lot of osprey hereabouts (lots of fish support many birds in a small space). Nothing like seeing them take a fish. I worked in a high-rise years ago and was looking out my window when a peregrine took a pigeon right off my ledge. Sort of a feather explosion, and there he was, pulling hard and gaining altitude.
Amazing critters.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
this guy seems to like doves or maybe just because they are dumber then stumps and are easy to nail. There will be a pile of feathers and no body parts.. he's also hell on field mice and moles. he like's to take them up to the top of the phone pole for a nice relaxed dinner.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Dochudson:

Nice picture ! If I had to guess, I'd say a young Cooper's Hawk, but not knowing which area of the country you're in and without my field guide here, I could be wrong. A side pic would be helpful as well to get shoulder and wing markings. But they are known to sit on top of poles while having dinner ;-)
Here's a pic I found quickly. Note the vertical dotted lines on the chest.

cooper-s-hawk-7.jpg

He's sitting on my deck railing giving me the evil eye.
He wants your pipe :rofl:

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I may try a time or two indoors. It's been many years since I've smoked anything inside. cigarettes are particularly bad. After a while you can spray the appliances in the kitchen with something like 409 and watch the brown juice run down the front of the refrigerator and that white ceiling? Forget that if you smoke a lot inside. No wife to complain but my dog sneezes a lot if he gets a whiff of smoke when were in the car so I can image what it may be like for him inside. The fan may help a good bit. I have a 20 inch box fan that would probably work. I think I'll try it just for kicks.

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
I smoke indoors, in my recliner, under the a/c and with the ceiling-fans on high. Pipes mostly but the occasional cigar as well. The lingering aroma is minimal and the Wife (aka: the "Boss") even likes the room note.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Have an enclosed workshop (where no work is ever done) in the basement. Wife refers to it as "the chicken's lair". I prefer to smoke here, don't want her to know it though. A relaxing solitary smoke where it's quiet and all is as I like. She thinks I'm being ever so considerate of her preference, and I am, but I need all the brownie points I can get. Have this laptop and a radio to amuse myself and stay in touch with the outside world when I bother to. What more could a married, retired male want?

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Retirement + pipe = REWARD. Smoking at home is a given. My motto: Do Not Disturb the Ol' Limey Bastard or risk serious consequences.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
With 2 boys at home, smoking in the house is out of the question...I do it in my commuter car (my boys dont ride in it) and outside when i do yard work...at times I smoke with my dad in his backyard on a rocking swing, just me and pops talking about life...

Status
Not open for further replies.