PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
OK, that I get. It still does not sound like he has said the SH blends are going away. Mr. Chheda is simply partnered to an Old World blender known for blending very little tobacco.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Did you read the email he sent me? Smoker's Haven won't go away, but their store blend are. This is according to Premal, not me.
I SINCERELY pray it's not so, but I imagine Premal knows FAR more about what's happening than do we.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Your email post slipped through between replies. I take it he wrote that email over the summer when there was even more uncertainty about the new regulations. I really do not see how the FDA regulations are going to affect Exotique. It greatly predates 2007 and lacks a "characterizing" flavor.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The reviews at Tobaccoreviews.com indicate that Germain has been the blender since 2005 or before.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Why don't you all just email Premal and ask him if his blends will be going away? In my experience he has always quickly answered my emails.
I've got more Exotique than N8 (Nate, OP, Opie) does so I'm good. :nana:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I sent an email, as did I'm guessing, everyone else who's posted here.
Ps. That's an old photo, Hawky454, POMT.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Still don't understand why his blends would be affected by FDA regs. Haven't they been on the market for ages? Often out of stock but still "on the market".

There's probably more going on than the FDA. I used to like Exotique but I've gotten to where I get through half a bowl and it gets an ashy taste. 8O

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Dave, since you don't like Exotique any longer, I'm afraid I can't speak to you any longer because I can't respect you. I'm afraid I must end our friendship. :)

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I used to like Exotique but I've gotten to where I get through half a bowl and it gets an ashy taste.

That's interesting because I smoked a bowl today and was amazed at how it held its flavor right down to the bottom of the bowl, better than any blend I smoke. My stash is about two years old, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Rabbit trail here, but I stumbled on some anecdotal history from the tobaccoreviews.com....
Excerpt from a review of 'pure pleasure' by 'oldmanpipe'.
For those who knew the late, beloved Joe Zieve, founder of Smokers' Haven (June 8, 1940), they will know whereof I speak; for the rest of you, please permit me a little history.
Joe was a merchandiser unparalleled. Columbus, Ohio, has always had more quality pipe shops and quality pipe and tobacco smokers, per capita, than any other town in America, thanks to Joe creating a market that still thrives.
I'm told Joe's father ran the cigar stand in the Walgreen's drug store near the corner of Broad and High Streets in Columbus. Joe wanted to carry more pipes and pipe tobacco than his father would allow, so Joe struck-out on his own. Thus was Smokers' Haven formed. Joe told me once that he was a devotee of Brush Creek Blend from Christian Peper in St. Louis. He asked the company if they would "private label" this wonderful mixture for him, and they refused. Their refusal led to an alliance with Red Lion Tobacco, AKA House of Windsor, who developed a near facsimile of Brush Creek, which Joe labeled "Pedigree Mixture." Red Lion also supplied a private label version of Barking Dog; so Smokers' Haven's "Mild and Mellow" was born.
During WWII, Joe discovered GBD and Barling pipes while stationed in England. He also formed a friendship with Sobranie House, which for decades supplied the first of Smokers' Haven's English tobaccos, "Our Best Blend," along with others through the years.
"Pure Pleasure" was the fourth private label blend for Smokers' Haven, again from Red Lion. It resulted from customer comments that their wives objected to the smell of Latakia, then an unfamiliar scent in America. Some things never change...at least not at my house.
As the advertisement read, the name was suggested by the wife of a customer as "Pure personal for YOU, the pipe smoker, and pure personal pleasure for YOU, around the pipe smoker."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I may or may not get a re-stock before the FDA ruling goes into effect August 8th.
That would be one hell of a long wait since it's August 8th of 2018, not 2017. Coincidentally, I did order some tins a few days ago. I got a kick out of the "temporarily" out of stock on Krumble Kake. It's been out of stock for how many years?
I'm not primarily a smoker of English/Balkan/Oriental blends, so the tins I ordered will suffice as I have about 20 lbs of various other blends of this genre.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I ordered ten more tins today. I hope he actually has them 8O. One of our pipe club members is knee deep in 8oz. tins. Don't think he'll be parting with any of them any time soon.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hmmm. Finest quality virginias. Check. Got that in stock. Most flavorful Latakia. Check. Have that as well. The best that could be had a couple years ago locked away. Quality Turkish. Checkereckcheck. Got that as well. Have all the Turks covered. One of these days, I'll have to mix up some virginia with a bit of smoky Lat, then top off with some Turkish to make up a blend that is perfectly sweet with just the right amount of Englishness. Sounds very inviting.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I still have my stock from 2004 I think. I remember ordering about 50 tins over the course of the year, and I just counted, still have 40. Guess I had a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.