Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you are seeing in the world is filtered by your own opinions. Read the damned thread, and then read the other stuff these very same guys have posted.

Ha ha. As a kid I know that I preferred whippings. You guys act like whippings actually worked on you. Are you still afraid of getting whipped? I don't remember ever being afraid of a whipping. I do remember giving the class a big grin in kindergarten as the paddle came down on me.

Only a little girl or a little wussy would have been afraid of getting a paddle. My daughters would take a whipping with a laugh and grin. They were raised to be tough and fearless. Nope, there is no one perfect way to raise kids.
What a bunch of tough guys we have here, ha ha. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Uh huh. I'm glad you're immune to having the way you see the world be filtered by your own opinions, tough guy. I'm sure you'll never believe it, but I read the damned thread. Hell, I even posted a response in there somewhere. It wasn't about paddling, best I recall. It was about the hazards of mouthing off to the wrong random stranger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kids without a future. Some of this is permissiveness, but most of it is neglect. There's no adult at home who is willing to spend the time and set the limits. You can't be your kid's buddy. Sometimes, you have to be their nemesis. You have to be willingly hated when the kid is wrong. Mostly, you can put the fear of the Lord (or a proper sense of respect) in a child without lifting a hand. But it requires work and a willingness to be roundly disliked from time to time. Some of these delinquent kids will eventually be "parented" by law officers and correctional staff and become somewhat orderly adults. For now, they are being parented by each other with terrible results. Too little effort is placed in preparing people for parenthood and the decision to have kids. People seem to wander into it, or get scared out of it. (Disclaimer: I know little on the subject so will cease and desist.)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nah, it was more about the concept of just blindly believing something is factual because it is labeled a "study". Bigpond's post was about paddling.
For the record, though, I do believe some of the childhood exploits some of the guys have related here are a bit different from cussing an adult to their face.

MSO, with all due respect...

...but most of it is neglect.

...you can diagnose this from some story a stranger posts on the internet?

My father and uncles kept me busy as a kid, but I still slipped away and played in the arcade with my friends. I asked for cigarettes, I was an advanced student headed in a few years to college. Eagle Scout, Boxer, soccer player... I still told adults who thought that they could just walk up and discipline me where to stick it. What an ass to come on their turf and start trying to run the show. So, it is worse than when we did this exact same thing in the 70's? I am certain that it also happened in the 60's, 50's, 40's. This is NOT NEW!!! It s just that for the first time, WE are the old putzes in their playground.
Now, whether you guys see me as an older version of that lil' redheaded bastard back in the day, I could care less. I am 100% happy with the way my life and the world has turned out. I would have to question some of you sour pusses on whether what happened in your world worked for you, for you to be so unhappy with the world and the way it treats you.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Interesting.
Yet another discussion that I think might go differently if folks were across the table from one another, instead of tucked behind keyboards at a safe distance. Not that the opinions would be different, but the expression of them? Likely so.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dr. Spock, one of the most ignorant individuals ever to walk the earth, became a well believed expert. That and the Dodgers being allowed to leave Brooklyn marks the beginning of the slide down the slippery slope. He gave parents the right to shirk their work.

but the expression of them? Likely so.

My expression is jovial. I'm having fun with this. Yes, I believe wholeheartedly what I am posting, because I've seen half of these guys post about shooting a hose in the balls with a BB gun, stealing cars, beating up strangers in line with them at some business. The other half said they would have done the same thing, ha ha.

Then when one of these threads comes along, they are saints because they got whippings or punished, or they respect people.
The majority of what gets posted on here is bullshit. Just guys' jaws flapping and back slapping.
From the writings of Pliny the Elder (27-79) or even Socrates, the old men would gather to complain about how things are so much worse than they were in the "Old Days." The men in all of these stories were cast as fools. Hey, I may not be an actual wise man, but I don't want to smell of "fool" on my boots, ha ha.
Besides, I am always amazed when I meet people who don't like the here and now. It makes me sad that people can't just breath and look around and say, "yes, this is good." If not, then they are living in a kind of Hell,.. that makes me sad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, I too was raised as a free-range kid. We'd put nearly empty cartons of Camels in my friend's Red Flyer and go to a vacant lot to smoke. Often, we'd disappear on our bikes between mealtimes. We weren't arsonists, but we certainly built some fires. And so on. Still, we definitely felt the tug of the leash, both at home and at school. It's a balance between having freedom so you can handle it, and having some constraints so you can handle those. Life is balance, psychological and physical. Kids acting out are often just waiting for someone to "yank a knot" in them. That's why many wild children enter the military with such a sense of hunger and relief. Finally someone appears who won't take any crap. The military saves as many lives and it sacrifices. I came to the military already "burdened" with discipline from other sources, but I could see this was true for many. I gave up my "first liberty" in boot camp to stay in the barracks and work with guys who needed help with the written test for graduation. That said, I know some incredible kids of various ages--toddlers through college--who do amazingly well.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Fathet used to say when the Old Cajuns would talk about The Good Old Days, would look at them and say You Crazy, these are the good old days. I was a hellcat growing up, but 2 things I would never do under pain of death is Steal, or Disrespect an Elder, everything else was fair game. :puffy:

You'll get a kick out of this, Brad... I may have posted this before. But, I let my daughters run the neighborhood growing up. They had their bikes, friends, and a cell phone, so that I didn't have to scream for them across the neighborhood.
This old bat in a huge Cadillac used to drive around the neighborhood like she had some sort of right to correct other people's kids. No one liked her, she was always in everyone's business. She had stopped one day and was chastising my oldest about being on the road on her bike because she might get abducted by a stranger,.. and as I instructed her, she called 9-1-1 to report the old woman as a stranger that was trying to get her to talk to her. I went and filed a complaint to keep her away from my kids. And, she did.
I have always been respectful of adults, as long as they were respectful to me. Being old doesn't automatically make you worthy or deserving of respect. It's got to me earned.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
My problem is not the good old or the good new days and whatever crap.

My problem is that we are into a nonsense world where you cant express you opinion without facing obscene level of judgmental crap. Not whipping my kid but I should be able to educate and teach him to at least some extent as I see it right.

Anyway.... merely my opinion

Every opinion worth having is going to be judged. I don't see a problem with that. But, if you mean by posting an opinion on a social media and getting obscene kickback, well... Yeh. I'm glad we didn't have internet back then. Some of the happiest and wealthiest people I know don't even touch a computer. I just happen to be one of those guys who can roll with it without getting butthurt, ha ha.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I like that Story Michel, nowadays good common sense is passé , when we moved to a new Neighorhood early in my Exxon days I was fortunate to be able to buy in a higher class neighborhood that most of our neighbors thought Plant Workres should not achieve . I was cutting the grass one day and oldest son comes whizzing across the lawn, big lots 3 acres, chased by a bigger neighborhood boy. I cut the mower off, grabbed my son by the shirt, grabbed the other boy by the shirt and shook em, said what's going on. It looked like they were giving my boy new kid a hard time. I took my belt off and told them both, FIGHT, you stop I'm gonna strap you, they fought for about 10 minutes , those of you that never fought, 10 minutes is a long time. They were snorting, wheezing and all skint up, neighbors boy said my Daddy is gonna get you, he never did and the 2 boys became friends. Nowadays I would be in jail for that, common sense is gone, but these are still the good old days. :puffy:

Yep, boys tend to become best friends after fighting. Girls, ha ha, they hold grudges for decades.

I remember beating up an older kid in my neighborhood over a call in a backyard baseball game, and his dad whipped him again for getting beat up by a smaller kid. My dad just told me that everyone will eventually run into someone he can't beat.

But, we are still friends to this day.

It just takes some people longer than others to realize that redheads are just tougher than we appear. I have never felt pain in a fight, and I have never felt fear. And, I am still waiting for that guy my dad said that I couldn't beat, ha ha. :puffy:

I kid, I kid... I did meet that one kid in the boxing ring. I now have a piece of plastic in my nose to keep my nose on straight and my fingers all set off in different directions with no knuckles left in my right hand.

I swear, I never saw him throw a single punch. It was like fighting mist or a shadow or something. I am glad my mother made me quit after that. I still blame her for me quitting boxing, but deep inside I know that I didn't want to do it anymore after that. ...like feeling fear for the first time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
LoL! You must be up for CPS's father of the year! I have a feeling there's way more to this story.
How is that funny? My oldest daughter was placed on adult strength anti depressants at age 6 for laughing in class, and I grounded my youngest for staying out too late (9 year old). There is nothing else, and you obviously have no sympathy for the grief my family has endured for the past ten years.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How is that funny? My oldest daughter was placed on adult strength anti depressants at age 6 for laughing in class, and I grounded my youngest for staying out too late (9 year old). There is nothing else, and you obviously have no sympathy for the grief my family has endured for the past ten years.
You have my sincere sympathy Embers. The drugging of children by the "system" is true child abuse.
And there are countless horror stories of the devastation CPS agencies have inflicted on families all across the country.
People who just assume those agencies are staffed by sane people who do the right thing are as ignorant as the day is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.