PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Too much liberty nowadays. Dont want to sound cruel but as Brad said "Some ass whipping builds character" :)

You cant discipline your kids, you cant express your opinion towards anyone anymore.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My oldest daughter has been in a placement home for two years for that kind of thinking. You can't be a parent anymore, and keep your kids.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Duane.... I understand, and was just wishing for the good old day's when parents had common sense, and the lawyers did too....... I grew up with a few good ass-whoopins, and in retrospect, it did me good........... 'tis a shame we can't even discipline our own children anymore........... :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Duane.... I understand, and was just wishing for the good old day's when parents had common sense, and the lawyers did too....... I grew up with a few good ass-whoopins, and in retrospect, it did me good........... 'tis a shame we can't even discipline our own children anymore...........
Absolutely. Ever ass beating I took made me a better person.

Jan 8, 2013
Not too long ago at work (I work as a butcher in a grocery store) I saw a lady smack her kid a few times on the ass for running around like a little maniac, knocking things over and screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs. Another lady nearby said something along the lines of "how dare you treat your child like that?" Without skipping a beat and in between swats she looked at the lady and very seriously asked, "Do you want to be next, lady? I'll bend you over my knee too!" The shock on the lady's face was classic. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
" Without skipping a beat and in between swats she looked at the lady and very seriously asked, "Do you want to be next, lady? I'll bend you over my knee too!" The shock on the lady's face was classic.
:clap:

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I wouldn't think this is a case of the parent being too friendly with their children and not wanting to hurt their feelings. This sounds a lot more like an absent neglectful parent. You are surprised that these kids didn't treat you with respect because of your age, these kids are probably used to having to take care of themselves outside of school. They initially approached in a friendly way, then ignored you, but when you talked down to them they returned the favor. I would expect the same thing to happen in another scenario where you shout insults at a group of street kids.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As the oldest of 6 boys, I was often left in charge.

I beat the crap out of the next one in line more than once, for defiance.

Later, when we were older, I smacked him once again, and dropped him in the kitchen of my Dad's house.

He was heavily clothed after having ridden the motorcycle I had co signed for him, for 3 hours in the NH winter.

I then went outside to look at the bike he'd taken 'for a ride' 3 weeks previously, and took off.

He came out in shorts and t-shirt, and while I was kneeling at the bike and pointing out areas of dismay over his abuse, he began to whack me playfully about the ears, persistently, till I stood up, and then he proceeded to bop at my head till I was backed up against the barn door.

At that point, I looked him in the eyes and said, (having not put up a counter fight, only defense) that we'd better stop right then, or one of us would die.

We're stubborn Irish.

Although he's no longer with us in the flesh, he did stop, then.

In hindsight, this makes for a fair story. It was somewhat dramatic at the time, but seemed to be a learning experience for me. At the time, he was about 20, and I was 24. We were almost identical in height and weight. 6'3"/195 lbs.

Violence begets violence.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Geezer gets punked at skatepark! Decries cultural erosion and loss of values as youth run wild! In other news, the sky might be falling! News at 11.
To op, the skatepark is where you find punks not boyscouts. It was that way back in the 80’s and it remains that way today. Most of those kids will grow out of it and hey, some may even wind up on this board.
To the guys who answer every problem with the same solution, studies show kids that are spanked and worse have worse outcomes and higher rates of violent activity then kids raised by parents that use brain over muscle power to solve problems. Who’da thought?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"...studies show kids that are spanked and worse have worse outcomes and higher rates of violent activity then kids raised by parents that use brain over muscle power to solve problems."
What studies, and by whom?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My oldest daughter has been in a placement home for two years for that kind of thinking. You can't be a parent anymore, and keep your kids.
Social services frowns on most forms of discipline these days as it may emotionally or psychologically scar the children. I was taken to court not to long ago because a teacher found out one of my daughters was grounded.

LoL! You must be up for CPS's father of the year! I have a feeling there's way more to this story.
Geezer gets punked at skatepark! Decries cultural erosion and loss of values as youth run wild! In other news, the sky might be falling! News at 11.
WORD! Best comment yet! 8O

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Because the lifecycle pushes us to change somewhere in late middle age, crying "time's almost over," that is, death approaches, we either become better people or more bitter; at any rate that is what happened to me. Thus I very much wish I could have a do-over raising my daughter. Parents seem to always be green, while grandparents are more grown up, with a more mature touch to give to the complex management of children.
The general tone of the thread of the older decrying the acts of the young is culturally trite and is the very normal yet aberrant tendency that we all have to disavow responsibility for our acts.
I very much think the above is true for me, and others, but you may well have your own truth and disagree. I welcome your comments or denunciation:).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
During the recent Army-Navy game, I looked out at the sea of bright, capable, respectful and well disciplined young men and women in our service academies, and I felt a glimmer of hope for the future.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
[/quote]Social services frowns on most forms of discipline these days as it may emotionally or psychologically scar the children. I was taken to court not to long ago because a teacher found out one of my daughters was grounded.
And what is the alternative?

Taking your kid away from you because of that? So the system will educate the kid better and make a better person than you would?

Ha ha, I would post what I really think of what some of what you guys are saying, but I like you guys too much.

I'd just have to say that you are lucky you didn't come around me and my friends at 12-14, or drop by our arcade/poolhall. You think it's bad now? Ha ha, try some of us 70's and 80's rapscallions on for size. Asking an adult for a cigarette seems outrageous, ha ha.
Anyways, I call bullshit on this entire thread. I could post any story to try to justify any ideal... It's just funny someone would post in one thread, "whippings kept me from being bad..." in one thread, and then turn into someone different in one of Indiana Franks threads, where you tell us what awful things you did as a kid, ha ha. Which is it, were you a little Huck Finn, or did you get beatings and stayed in your own yard because you feared your father?
It's not a binary world. It's not whippings or not whippings. Good, bad. The world just doesn't work that way. If beatings worked, I would opt for a beating from a police officer instead of a ticket any day. Heck, I'd take a beating over most other forms of punishment. I remember getting grounded and begging for a whipping as a kid.

Yep, beat me, so that I can get back out there and keep having fun. It didn't work for me, and my father knew it. He did the harder thing... he and my uncles spent a lot of time with me, teaching me what they do. I'm sure it would have been easier for my father just to belt me one, and I would have deserved it. But, it's much much harder to actually spend every moment with a kid. But, even then, I would slip off with friends. That's what makes us human. Popping off at the mouth to some punk old man on our turf who think he is better than us, and spending the whole day with my grandfather as he witnesses in prisons all day and helps prisoners work through their problems. Or, working all day with my father on the car or the jewelry store, or help Uncle Ron stack bales of hay into the barn.
What is wrong with the world today? Absolutely nothing. This is the best time to be a human being. Any attempts to argue otherwise is just old men remembering with rose colored glasses. Besides, if you don't like it... I just feel sorry for you, because it is impossible to send someone into the past. So, we're stuck. Make lemonaide or just pucker up and whine, ha ha.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"Asking an adult for a cigarette seems outrageous, ha ha."
They were the ones most likely to have spare smokes and oblige, I always said thank you.
"What is wrong with the world today? Absolutely nothing."
Nostalgia for an age that never existed often precedes thoughts of falling skies.
Another thing to consider, this kid could be looking at a deep fryer future or he might be in advanced placement classes, casually profane, and still trying to be cool in front of people. I've experience worse aspects of humanity in little old ladies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"...studies show kids that are spanked..."
"Studies" should always be believed over one's direct observations of the world around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.