PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Boy, I have sure seen some beautiful pipes on this thread.

I have about 25 pipes and a few of them are very good looking, too. But, as embarrassing as it is, if I honestly answer as to which is the best smoking pipe, it is probably my "homeliest" pipe.

About 30 years ago I sorta/kinda started smoking pipes. Largely to use when I did Civil War reenacting. During this period I got one of those "kits" that consist of a square block of briar with holes in it. I used to sit with my pocket knife and just whittle away bits and pieces and ended up with this chunk. It doesn't look good but it smokes like a dream.

I feel like the boy who just introduced his ugly girlfriend to his family.......
Homemade pipe.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Boy, I have sure seen some beautiful pipes on this thread.

I have about 25 pipes and a few of them are very good looking, too. But, as embarrassing as it is, if I honestly answer as to which is the best smoking pipe, it is probably my "homeliest" pipe.

About 30 years ago I sorta/kinda started smoking pipes. Largely to use when I did Civil War reenacting. During this period I got one of those "kits" that consist of a square block of briar with holes in it. I used to sit with my pocket knife and just whittle away bits and pieces and ended up with this chunk. It doesn't look good but it smokes like a dream.

I feel like the boy who just introduced his ugly girlfriend to his family.......
View attachment 292195
Have you seen those Marxman pipes ?
Yours is a looker by comparison

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Top is a BST 'virgin', bottom is my 'bank-fishing' pipe - a Rathbone that is fairly new but looks to be Algerian briar. If you asked me what my 'favorite' pipes are I would pick a couple of other BST's. They probably smoke as well, but this one provides something magical.

gKz6xrr.jpg

1oIx6ak.jpeg