Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
You might say that there is no such thing as "the best" smoker. That if a pipe is capable of producing a great smoke even once, then anything short of that must be user error. I can't disagree. But I have one pipe that never fails to do produce a great smoke. It doesn't matter what tobacco I put in it or how perfectly I pack it. It has a slight preference for Virginia blends (probably because I do) but it loves flakes (folded or rubbed out), coins and ribbons equally. It doesn't matter if it's the first or last smoke of the day. The tobacco tastes good right to the bottom of the bowl and never gets harsh. And it's been that way since day one. To boot, it's also easy to clench and even sits on its own. Yes, user error accounts for the inconsistency in my other pipes but this one is foolproof.IMG_7572.jpeg.

Castello 1982 great line cherrywood.

Last edited:

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
All the pipes I now smoke are very good smokers. This is after multiple rounds of culling the herd. My favorite would likely be the Altinok. I smoke it each morning, favorite smoke of the day. But I have several Rubio, Howell, Alden and a Larrysson that all smoke great.

View attachment 291709
Your magnificent Cermaks not even worth a mention!? :cry:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have had 'best' smokers in the last 10 yrs. I began smoking a pipe in 2014. Each one of these has met some sort of calamity. Either broken shanks, a hole in the bit, or the bowl from my Czech tool pick.
My favorite was a nice knobby Lorenzo Studio half bent billiard. The shank broke while reinserting the stem. I still have the stummel, and plan to retro fit a stem into what's left of the shank.
Thankfully, I have acquired many wonderful smokers and can let go of these favorites, somewhat, as I recognize that nothing is permanent.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
My Bertram (125). One of the highest graded Bertram’s I’ve seen! It has the most unbelievable open draw out of any pipe I’ve ever owned. It feels like I don’t even have to put any effort into drawling when I smoke it! Picked up a Bertram (80) prince shape a few years back, and it also has a great draw, but I broke the damn stem and need to have it replaced at some point!
536EF45B-9191-4C44-AFB3-EDE96E8FBAD1.jpeg

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
My Bertram (125). One of the highest graded Bertram’s I’ve seen! It has the most unbelievable open draw out of any pipe I’ve ever owned. It feels like I don’t even have to put any effort into drawling when I smoke it! Picked up a Bertram (80) prince shape a few years back, and it also has a great draw, but I broke the damn stem and need to have it replaced at some point!
View attachment 291831
I have a 50 grade that's carved in the vein of Custombuilts and the like that I mostly use for English blends. It has a slight larger bowl diameter than my preference but I enjoy smoking it when I feel the nagging for an English. I just replaced the stem on it because the vulcanite was pretty poor.

You don't see them much! Nice little pieces of history as well.