PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
But by "best smoker" do you mean the pipe that has the best performance with tobaccos or the one that gives the best overall smoking experience?

Reactions: dunnyboy

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I’m biased, but isn’t everyone?
My absolute best smoking pipe is ‘My Baby’.
It’s the second Tinsky-drilled kit that I carved and finished out in 1998.
The airway was opened up in both the shank and stem before any stem bending.
The bowl was opened up to be more of a flared conical bowl.
It was originally stained with prickly pear cactus fruit, but over the years has taken on the hues from just being smoked and handled.
She was lost for about 7 years.

My Baby:

1709363443777.jpeg
1709363506594.jpeg
1709363604783.jpeg

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
I have a few “nicer” pipes but this Rossi 8622 has to be my best smoker. Oddly enough it didn’t start that way. It took me a while to bond with it. Now it is by far the one that I have enjoyed the most smoking experiences with. It never lets me down. I love the shape and feel in the hand and mouth. The size is right in my wheel house and it holds a large but not too large amount of tobacco. All that for a $75.00 pipe. Not bad.IMG_2275.jpeg

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like all my pipes, but in general this is the pipe that burns everything like it should. Some pipes seem to be made for this or that (which is a myth for sure, but we like to think to let PAD kick in) and I wholeheartly admit I say that to, but for this pipe it doesnt matter. Put in a english ribbon, a few rubbed flakes of virginia or folded and stuffed burley, it lets the tobacco taste like it should. I like to dedicate pipes to a style or even a certain blend, this pipe is my do it all. I know meerschaum's ghosting is a thing, but its very minimal to non detectable. Also this pipe has a perfect draw. Only one downside: folding and stuffing 2 flakes is a three hour smoke in this hulking bowl and I dont always have time for it. Setting it down and returning to it isnt a issue, but not what i prefer.

Altinay bend Bulldog

20240302_134300.jpg

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I'm not sure where to find the new 'what are you smoking thread for March' but this can go here.

I just bought this pipe. It's an 1855 4th generation. This is my very first smoke with it (full bowl, I don't do the half bowl break in thing, I just carefully smoke a few bowls until the carbon buildup is good)

I can already Tell this will be my best smoker alongside its brother the 1833.

The feel of the thin stem, how it hangs in your mouth and how it smokes is unbelievable! I feel that 4th generation pipes are worlds above any other brand in the price range. I seriously emplor anyone to check out Erik's pipes!

(This particular pipe also has a shorter bent black stem. Not sure which stem I prefer)

I also bought a peterson system (curved) with a p-lip. Hate the p-lip... the bowl is nice though! I'm not sure what to do with the pipes I don't like smoking, big dent in my wallet lol...

Attachments

• 20240305_080807.jpg
    20240305_080807.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240305_080800.jpg
    20240305_080800.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 12

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
These three are my best smokers. All rather large.
1. Dunhill Root Briar 1965 size 4 (bigger than modern size 5) -- estate purchase from a pipe show
2. Peterson's HANDMADE with ass-tight grain -- purchased new circa 1990-2000
3. David Jones REGENCY 2708 S --purchased new in 1993 for $80 from Marty Pulver's Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco

1710764100591.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
These three are my best smokers. All rather large.
1. Dunhill Root Briar 1965 size 4 (bigger than modern size 5) -- estate purchase from a pipe show
2. Peterson's HANDMADE with ass-tight grain -- purchased new circa 1990-2000
3. David Jones REGENCY 2708 S --purchased new in 1993 for $80 from Marty Pulver's Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco

View attachment 296638
I refuse to believe that that Pete is a good smoker unless I test it for myself. I'll PM you my address. 😍😍😍

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
You might say that there is no such thing as "the best" smoker. That if a pipe is capable of producing a great smoke even once, then anything short of that must be user error. I can't disagree. But I have one pipe that never fails to do produce a great smoke. It doesn't matter what tobacco I put in it or how perfectly I pack it. It has a slight preference for Virginia blends (probably because I do) but it loves flakes (folded or rubbed out), coins and ribbons equally. It doesn't matter if it's the first or last smoke of the day. The tobacco tastes good right to the bottom of the bowl and never gets harsh. And it's been that way since day one. To boot, it's also easy to clench and even sits on its own. Yes, user error accounts for the inconsistency in my other pipes but this one is foolproof.View attachment 291662.

Castello 1982 great line cherrywood.
Here's a few of my pipes that consistently give me easy, satisfying smokes. At the top is a Peterson's 9BC Sterling; a real winner. In the middle is a Connoisseur "Original" that I got free from Nikos Levin . . . free because there is a hairline crack in the rim. That was twenty years ago and it's intact and smokinIMG_5692.JPGg just fine. The bottom pipe is a custom job that Murf O'Dean made for me; super smoker.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Boy, I have sure seen some beautiful pipes on this thread.

I have about 25 pipes and a few of them are very good looking, too. But, as embarrassing as it is, if I honestly answer as to which is the best smoking pipe, it is probably my "homeliest" pipe.

About 30 years ago I sorta/kinda started smoking pipes. Largely to use when I did Civil War reenacting. During this period I got one of those "kits" that consist of a square block of briar with holes in it. I used to sit with my pocket knife and just whittle away bits and pieces and ended up with this chunk. It doesn't look good but it smokes like a dream.

I feel like the boy who just introduced his ugly girlfriend to his family.......
View attachment 292195
Speaking of homely pipes, I have this no-name rusticated Italian pipe that fits the bill for the aforementioned question. It just smokes what I choose effortlessly but prefers VaPers and Balkans like a champ. It is what I consider my carpenters (akin to what i believe a pipe maker would smoke) pipe

Reactions: Choatecav