My 1940s Dr. Grabow Tru-Grain 6026 Imported Bruyere:
after1-600x403.jpg

And my Dr Grabow Royal Duke circa late 60s (before and after):
before-after1.jpg

Reactions: unclefloyd

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I picked these up at the Grabow factory while touring it with a group from the DGCF. Although Grabow made several shapes with a triangular shank and also made some paneled pipes,as far as I've been able to find out they never put a triangular shanked,triangular bowled pipe into production. There is a fifth pipe owned by RJ McKay. I guess these may have been a prototype. The poker was obtained for me by a friend,who as a former president of the company has access about any time he wants. He found it while looking for some other pipes in a "back room".

I asked him about the first three when I found them and about all he could tell me is that they "shoulda been Starfires"--based on the finish.

None of them were stamped but I sent the billiard to my friend and he had it stamped with the DGCF 2010 logo. The company had that stamp made for us.

100_7349-1280x960-600x450.jpg

100_7345-1024x768-600x450.jpg

Reactions: unclefloyd

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ed,those are nice don't think I ever saw them before.
I think I posted them at the DGCF Scott,although pics of these may have been mixed in with other pics from that tour.

I've had a new stem for the top pipe for about 3 years years now and have still not fitted it to the pipe!!
Cobguy,something tells me that pipe didn't leave the factory with that rustication. I like it though!

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Just bought an estate riviera off of ebay, I'll have to clean it, ream it out a little and see how it smokes. For 10 bucks for a nice looking billiard(?) style pipe, as long as it smokes well, I'll be happy. But I have a rusticated omega that smokes wonderfully.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I just bought this Dr Grabow Canadian estate from samcoffeeman. I have been looking for one for some time.
Dr_Grabow.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the esteemed Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, one of their prettiest shape I think.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Here is my Dr. Grabow Eldorado Adjustomatic it belonged to my dad but after I started smoking he got it back from his brother and gave it to me.I'm sure you can see the stem accent is missing that happened sometime while my uncle had it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here is my Dr. Grabow Eldorado Adjustomatic it belonged to my dad but after I started smoking he got it back from his brother and gave it to me.I'm sure you can see the stem accent is missing that happened sometime while my uncle had it.
Homeguard, that pipe would not have had an accent ring on the stem. I'd say something is blocking the threads-keeping it from screwing in all the way,or,the Ajustomatic has been pulled part way out of the stem.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Some of my Linkman Dr. Grabows. Have a bunch more that have not been restored yet.

1331231363-600x286.jpg

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well I appreciate that ejames,I would have swore that my pipe had an accent ring but looking at your collection of Dr. Grabow pipes (very impressive by the way) and the fact that it had been 2 years since I had seen it last I can't hardly debate you.I'll have to get it down and look at it,see if I can get it fixed.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Wow. I always thought of Dr. Grabows as being cheap, entry-level pipes. But it seems like everybody still has one no matter how many Petersons you have on your shelf. Does anyone know what makes them so popular? It seems like to have been around for as long as Dr. Grabow has they must have some good features.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
This is my only Dr. Grabow, it was a filthy and cheap junk store pipe that just needed to be saved. It is the smallest bulldog I have ever seen, although I'm sure there are smaller ones out there. Once I purchased it and got it home I discovered the non-removable stinger and never smoked it after it was cleaned up until last night since I don't do stingers (and cutting the stinger feels kinda like mutilation in my mind). I was up late last night and felt like a quick bowl and decided 'why the hell not?' and filled it with leftovers from my drying board. Some CH, some Tinderbox 'Honey Maple' and some Drew Estate 7th Ave. Blonde. Actually turned out to be a good mix, and more importantly the pipe smoked cool and dry.
It is a Tru-Grain 6076 with a pretty unimpressive grain, but no fills and the stem is still straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.