PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
One that’s been on my mind lately is GH&CO Louisiana Flake, Hansom Flake and GL Pease Stonehenge Flake. I had my suspicions but apparently they are exactly the same.
I had heard Louisiana Flake and Stonehenge being one and the same a few years ago. Stonehenge is my favorite blend. Having smoked countless bowls of both I find Louisiana to be lighter in comparison. Maybe less burley? Or maybe it’s just me? Don’t really care either way.

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
So what came first? Louisiana Flake or Stonehenge? I’m assuming Stonehenge back in 2001 (I believe) with the limited run collaboration. But, I ask the professionals here who often have much stronger opinions:)

Reactions: MattRVA

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Not a new practice. Back in the 80's Lane iq was sold with different names in different smoke shops. The same with other Lane blends

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have just learned that some blends that can be bought in bulk, are the same exact blends that can be bought in tins under a different name. This is a bit of a revelation to me. Anyone want to comment on duplicates that they are aware of , or the companies that often do this?
thanks!!
and then there are certain blends that beg the question at what point do you say it's a different blend? Cased differently? Topped differently? A pinch more of one leaf in a blend???? Some of these blends really do seem like the tin and bulk is the only difference (some have been confirmed) and some of the ones I've heard that about remind me that there are pipe smokers that think all blends taste the same. English aro, burly va ... can't tell the difference.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
my understanding is no. But Ration is based off of Bengal slices. Trust that as much as you trust second hand info and my memory.
I have heard that they were the same blend, but yeah I never really trusted that either. Maybe I need to try Fusilier's Ration then as I enjoy Bengal Slices to see which is better.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Can anyone confirm that Fusiliers Ration and Bengal Slices(black) are the same?
As the guy who started the resurrection of Bengal Slices, trademarked the name and dealt one on one with Russ O. to make it all happen, I can tell you with 100% certainty that at that time, the two blends were one and the same. The folks at Sutliff were a bit perplexed that the same product sold ten times as much in a BS tin as it did in a FS tin. And the BS tin was more expensive.

Whether this still holds true, I do not know, but unless anyone has detected a noticeable change in either product, I’ll have to assume that the status quo stands.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are, or were, something like 26 tinned versions of 1Q floating around at one time. I was told, through an industry source that Cult Red Moon is tinned Lane TK-6. Yep, it happens. There's nothing new about "catalogue" blends, blends that were custom made for a client, to be further used. Some of the Smoker's Haven blends were catalog blends that Germain's had on the books, as were the Esoterica blends. Sometimes a company simply relabels a blend as something new.

birdog

Lurker
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
I am aware that B&M stores get bulk, and often put their own name on it.
I should have clarified my original question, in that I was curious more about online products....especially would be helpful to know which products are sold in tin, that are called something different in bulk. Or packaged in bags, under different names , by the same company.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I was aware of some of the blends in this thread being sold as house blends by B&Ms.
It surprised me though when I bought Diebel’s Twist from Diebel’s on the plaza in KC and discovered it is PS Luxury Twist Flake. I say “discovered” but I have no evidence that this is the case other than the fact that the two blends taste and look exactly the same to me.