PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As the guy who started the resurrection of Bengal Slices, trademarked the name and dealt one on one with Russ O. to make it all happen, I can tell you with 100% certainty that at that time, the two blends were one and the same. The folks at Sutliff were a bit perplexed that the same product sold ten times as much in a BS tin as it did in a FS tin. And the BS tin was more expensive.

Whether this still holds true, I do not know, but unless anyone has detected a noticeable change in either product, I’ll have to assume that the status quo stands.
I knew a salon owner had to much business so raised prices and made that issue worse. People enjoy things they pay more for assuming it's better cause of the price.

birdog

Lurker
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
All things considered, as a result of this confusion from "same blend , different name", trying to choose from reviewers, who have different descriptors for similar tastes, etc. I have come to appreciate and really like to support Ernie at Watch City, or talk to Rachel at Boswells, or Uhle's ...these types of smaller shops that blend their own with quality, know their stuff and are eager to help share info and their expertise. If a new smoker or a veteran wants to learn about a different genre, these shops are GREAT. What other smaller "in house " blenders exist that you like to support?

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
When I was at Boswell's last week, I saw there was a jar of Frog Morton something or other on the shelf. I asked JM some questions about McClelland. While I won't share all that he said, he did joke that many people in the pipe industry said that he would have to stop selling Northwoods when McClelland shut down because he was just taking a McClelland Frog Morton blend and reselling it. Well that certainly wasn't the case!

Reactions: fireground_piper

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
When I was at Boswell's last week, I saw there was a jar of Frog Morton something or other on the shelf. I asked JM some questions about McClelland. While I won't share all that he said, he did joke that many people in the pipe industry said that he would have to stop selling Northwoods when McClelland shut down because he was just taking a McClelland Frog Morton blend and reselling it. Well that certainly wasn't the case!
Northwoods mixed 50/50 with Railroad Station is amazing. To me anyway...

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
My officially unofficial limited guide to duplicity in tobacco blends from Lane and Sutliff as they apply only in my world. Your reality may differ.

RLP-6 = Capt Black White
1Q = Capt Black Royal
TK6 = Capt Black Cherry and mixes well 50/50 with Sutliff Black Cordial
BCA = Capt Black Dark
LL-7 = Capt Black Gold

Sutlif Molto Dolce and Creme Brulee
Sutlif Barbados Plantation and Queen Anne's Revenge. Sutliff Spiced Rum mixes well with either of these 50/50.

Enjoy!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
This practice is not confined to tobacco. I earned walking around money for college by working summers at a fruit packing plant. All of the packed cans were put on pallets and sent to the warehouse without labels (we called the shiners). Later big-name supermarket chains would place an order and we'd then affix their label to the the cans and box them up. Kroger, IGA, and A&P (and others) branded cans were all the same stuff on the inside. We even had a machine that could print the appropriate brand ID on the boxes.

Yep, sunglasses and eye frames all also come off of the same factory floor in China. Ray Bans, Chopard, Prada, to Kroger value sunglasses. In my work for that industry designing frames, I was amazed. The $800, $100, or $2 eyeframes are all made in the same place. Next time you are at your Optometrist, notice how many eyeframes look the same with different logo on them. Even some sunglasses will have ANSI codes on them, showing that they can also double as RX wear.
Sure, some have different materials in them, but they are designed that way before the brands will selects them and puts their logos on them. Guys like me design them, not ever knowing which brand they will be used for.

My understanding is that tennis shoes, and most shoes in general, are also made this way. But, I've never designed for them.
This is all a little bit different than tobaccos, but it just goes to show how people buy the brand over value, mostly because we don't have any other way to judge these things by.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yep, sunglasses and eye frames all also come off of the same factory floor in China. Ray Bans, Chopard, Prada, to Kroger value sunglasses. In my work for that industry designing frames, I was amazed. The $800, $100, or $2 eyeframes are all made in the same place. Next time you are at your Optometrist, notice how many eyeframes look the same with different logo on them. Even some sunglasses will have ANSI codes on them, showing that they can also double as RX wear.
Sure, some have different materials in them, but they are designed that way before the brands will selects them and puts their logos on them. Guys like me design them, not ever knowing which brand they will be used for.

My understanding is that tennis shoes, and most shoes in general, are also made this way. But, I've never designed for them.
This is all a little bit different than tobaccos, but it just goes to show how people buy the brand over value, mostly because we don't have any other way to judge these things by.
Luxottica. If anyone wants to learn more check out YouTube.

Luxottica. If anyone wants to learn more check out YouTube.
Yes, I met with a Luxottica guy in an airport. He brought this Chinese guy who was in charge of the factory. They explained how to draw up the designs I was making for them. And, they explained how everyone who starts making eyewear, they buy out, which is what I was doing.
I’ve only seen a couple of my designs actually made, (hinges) but when you cash their check, it makes it hurt less if they don’t make the designs, ha ha.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yes, I met with a Luxottica guy in an airport. He brought this Chinese guy who was in charge of the factory. They explained how to draw up the designs I was making for them. And, they explained how everyone who starts making eyewear, they buy out, which is what I was doing.
I’ve only seen a couple of my designs actually made, (hinges) but when you cash their check, it makes it hurt less if they don’t make the designs, ha ha.
Yeah there was something about Oakley glasses where they didn’t want to do a certain deal with Luxottica (Sunglasses Hut), they removed Oakley from their stores, Oakley stock tanked, then they bought Oakley.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I used to really enjoy a Sutliff blend called Charlemagne, but the canned stuff is discontinued. Is there a bulk equivalent? Queen Anne's Revemge is close, but not quite there.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Sutliff does it a lot. Molto Dolce and Cream Brulee. Queen Anns Revenge is similar but weaker, it's another Sutliff tin I forget the name maybe Plantation I don't remember.