PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

birdog

Lurker
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
No all capitals unless it's to warn us the sky is falling.

I have just learned that some blends that can be bought in bulk, are the same exact blends that can be bought in tins under a different name. This is a bit of a revelation to me. Anyone want to comment on duplicates that they are aware of , or the companies that often do this?
thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MattRVA

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I wonder if some of it is batches that didnt quite meet guidelines. Still good tobacco but didnt hit the mark.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It doesn’t even have to be bulk vs tin. It can even be the same tin with a different label.

Not at all as confirmed by @JimInks. It's just a difference of oxygen exposure. Most if not all of Sutliff's tins have a renamed bulk.
Go back to the PM Radioshow where Paul Creasy, (then) CEO of Sutliff was a guest. If the CEO says that it is the same, except for the extra squirt, then I believe him. I'm not relying on my own taste buds...

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
From Rachel at GH&Co:

“Ok so to clarify this again.

1) Louisana Flake/Hansom Flake and Stonehenge are/were all exactly the same.
2) We only make Louisiana Flake now or I suppose you could argue we make all 3 as all the same. But as a registered/listed product that we make, we make Louisana Flake only.
3) Louisana flake was shipped in bulk to the states were it was cut down or whatever to put in the "peanut containers" and sold as C&D Stonehenge.
4) The only "special blend" we make is Brown Sugar.
5) Peanuts tend to come in bags here in the UK. These containers C&D use are more like "Pringle" containers, a type of crisp, known as chips I believe in the states. Chips are what we eat with fish or steak.”

Almost all of the old Dunhill (now Peterson) branded blends were made by Brigham for a while when they were originally pulled from the market, long before Dunhill just removed the name altogether. Now, they are sold under a different name by Brigham. But, I guess as the blenders have changed several times now, they are different somewhat. Someone else may know more specifics about this transitional period. But, back then, most swore they were dead ringers, which they should have been, since they were using the same recipes.

Acadian Blend - Elizabethian
Heritage - 965
Klondike - Light Flake
Maritime Morning - EMP
It seems like there were a few others, but my memory...