PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Needless to say these pipes are extraordinary looking. Do you use a bit very often when you smoke? I haven't, but wonder if they're must-haves for those who use them... I self-disparagingly (and jokingly) refer to my common pipes as lesser not so much in how they smoke or even feel, but because I know there are some unbelievably unique and magnificent looking pieces out there that I would love to hold, look at, and maybe even smoke, and I love to dream... What are your current favorite tobaccos?

In the early days my stems were always a horror show of tooth marks and lipstick. ?
I often smoke while walking and developed a habit of clenching (yes, even with that big Nording), so I've found the rubber bits invaluable in preserving my pipe stems. Many pipe smokers don't like the way they taste and feel, but honestly I hardly notice them anymore.
My palette favors burley blends most of all, but I've got a few English and aromatic blends in my cellar. My all time favorite burley blend "Mountain Morning" which accompanied me on many backpacking trips, has been discontinued by my ex-tobacconist. Perhaps Stag will have something on their shelves to replace this loss.

What is your mainstay tobacco? What do you find yourself reaching for again and again? Speaking of the pipes you would love to hold, look at and smoke- what is at the very top of your list?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.
I've never tried coin tobacco, nonetheless Doblone d'Oro. $20 for 100g puts it above what I would typically spend, but based on the reviews I'm seeing- it must smoke like a dream.
If Christmas will be your first time trying it, a review would be wonderful.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
In the early days my stems were always a horror show of tooth marks and lipstick. ?
I often smoke while walking and developed a habit of clenching (yes, even with that big Nording), so I've found the rubber bits invaluable in preserving my pipe stems. Many pipe smokers don't like the way they taste and feel, but honestly I hardly notice them anymore.
My palette favors burley blends most of all, but I've got a few English and aromatic blends in my cellar. My all time favorite burley blend "Mountain Morning" which accompanied me on many backpacking trips, has been discontinued by my ex-tobacconist. Perhaps Stag will have something on their shelves to replace this loss.

What is your mainstay tobacco? What do you find yourself reaching for again and again? Speaking of the pipes you would love to hold, look at and smoke- what is at the very top of your list?
Great imagery there with the mouthpiece horror show. (Heh...) I often enjoy holding (clenching) my pipe between my teeth, so I appreciate your experiences and thoughts regarding bits. This is something I should try, and I believe I would become accustomed to it quickly, and eventually enjoy it and actually prefer it over not using one. I saw my cousin's husband using one last summer, and inquired about it, not knowing they were even a thing. (For someone who first learned how to smoke a pipe five years ago, I've inadvertently neglected embracing the virtual pipe-smoking community, and in consequence still know very little about the tradition.) With regard to tobacco, this is also an aspect I've explored only casually. My only real go-to these days is an aromatic Stag concoction called Private Reserve. I love the smell and flavor, even in the bowl after it's been smoked. When I do smoke English I like a Stag mix called Baker Street, but again my experience is limited. I am not familiar with what a burley blend is, but it will surely be the next tobacco I try... On the subject of pipes I would love to hold, look at and smoke, I adore this La Rocca Gigante estate pipe I recently picked up. It's so smooth and well-fitting that it practically begs to be fondled (but not in a weird way). I acknowledge that I haven't smoked it yet. Your Nording is extremely handsome and I would love having and holding one like it some day. The Kent Rasmussen and Brad Pohlmann I include pictures of are simply spectacular, as is the Savinelli. At least at this point it appears I go for the smoother, bent variety most often...

Attachments

• La Rocca Gigante.PNG
    La Rocca Gigante.PNG
    477.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Kent Rasmussen.PNG
    Kent Rasmussen.PNG
    314.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Brad Pohlmann Bulldog.PNG
    Brad Pohlmann Bulldog.PNG
    502.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Savinelli.PNG
    Savinelli.PNG
    176.5 KB · Views: 3

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What is your mainstay tobacco?
Black Frigate
Sixpence
Yenidje Highlander
Angler's Dream
Watch City Slices
Christmas Cheer
Salty Dogs
Devil's Holiday
Deep Hollow
Belmont Station
Engine 382

Speaking of the pipes you would love to hold, look at and smoke- what is at the very top of your list?
Any of these.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
It's so smooth and well-fitting that it practically begs to be fondled (but not in a weird way).

This made me audibly chuckle while drinking hot tea, which I proceeded to pour in my lap. Thanks, Scott.

You should be able to find a pack of rubber bit covers for about $5 at any tobacconist. They might smell strong out of the package (as most rubber products do) but that will fade over time. If you can become accustomed to them, then they're a great investment in the welfare and longevity of your pipe stems. Private reserve, huh? Based on the name I'm going to guess that's one of Stag's flagships. On your recommendation, I'll absolutely pick up an ounce or two next time I'm in the area. Burley is an air-cured tobacco used as a base for a lot of aromatics and is a popular choice for the production of cigarettes. Even by itself, I find Burley to have a pleasant nutty flavor and it produces thick creamy smoke that doesn't bite.

The pipes you've posted are all stunners. The Rasmussen bent apple is particularly superb and I'm a sucker for that swirled stem on the Sav Rhodesian. These would be incredible additions to anybody's collection. ? I look forward to seeing your future posts as your pipe stash grows.

Reactions: Scott Krieger

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Black Frigate
Sixpence
Yenidje Highlander
Angler's Dream
Watch City Slices
Christmas Cheer
Salty Dogs
Devil's Holiday
Deep Hollow
Belmont Station
Engine 382

Any of these.

View attachment 7532

Haha, 11 mainstays? All of varying categories, flavors and styles but I'm gathering that your palette relishes a hint of rum in your pipe. Three McClelland blends made your list, all of which I never had the opportunity to try before they closed their doors. Regret is a powerful sentiment- but alas it's probably for the best that I don't know what I'm missing. Hopefully you've squirreled enough away to last you many years. ☺
I'm very interested in C&D's deertongue blends.. why do you prefer Engine 382 to Crooner or New Market?

I saw your thread on Bruce Weaver a while back and it made me smile, but I was still lurking at the time so I made no contribution. Each one is a true beauty and they mean all the more to have been carved by a friend. Have you had the chance to break in that gorgeous smooth acorn yet?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm gathering that your palette relishes a hint of rum in your pipe.
Good catch!;)

Hopefully you've squirreled enough away to last you many years. ☺
I should be good for a bit.?

I'm very interested in C&D's deertongue blends.. why do you prefer Engine 382 to Crooner or New Market?
My favorites are Engine 382, Crooner, Gentleman Caller, and Mojo. 382 gets smoked more as it is a lighter bodied tobacco and more of an all day smoke. I like to sit down with Crooner, not for nicotine content but because those cubes like to jump out of a pipe and I like to be ready with a tamper when I see them coming.?

Have you had the chance to break in that gorgeous smooth acorn yet?
It too will be getting its inaugural smoke on Christmas day. During P&C's "Deal Devil" 23% off sale a week or so ago, I picked up 25 tins of Bruce's favorite tobacco, "Three Year Matured Virginia" that will be the acorn's dedicated blend. I was also able to trade a bag of Penzance for two tins of Murray's TYMV from 2005.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
This made me audibly chuckle while drinking hot tea, which I proceeded to pour in my lap. Thanks, Scott.

You should be able to find a pack of rubber bit covers for about $5 at any tobacconist. They might smell strong out of the package (as most rubber products do) but that will fade over time. If you can become accustomed to them, then they're a great investment in the welfare and longevity of your pipe stems. Private reserve, huh? Based on the name I'm going to guess that's one of Stag's flagships. On your recommendation, I'll absolutely pick up an ounce or two next time I'm in the area. Burley is an air-cured tobacco used as a base for a lot of aromatics and is a popular choice for the production of cigarettes. Even by itself, I find Burley to have a pleasant nutty flavor and it produces thick creamy smoke that doesn't bite.

The pipes you've posted are all stunners. The Rasmussen bent apple is particularly superb and I'm a sucker for that swirled stem on the Sav Rhodesian. These would be incredible additions to anybody's collection. ? I look forward to seeing your future posts as your pipe stash grows.
It’s easy to tell you’re incredibly perceptive and have a sharp sense of humor, supperthyme, but I sincerely hope the tea didn’t leave any stains. Thank you so much for the tidbits on the bit tips. There’s no question I’m going to pick some up next time I’m at Stag, and no doubt the bit covers will probably help me enjoy smoking my pipes just that much more. Some of the estate pipes I’ve purchased lately have some pretty good chomper marks on them, which leads me to believe that their previous owners would have benefitted from these tips as well… I’m genuinely fond of Stag’s Private Reserve, but again I feel inclined to point out that I am an obvious neophyte (as if you would have forgotten), so there’s a lot of pressure on me right now riding on this recommendation. Please don’t hold it against me if you find it unsmokable… Speaking of Stag, the first time you visit you’ll probably wonder why there isn’t a driveway right off Austin Bluffs Parkway (like there should be), and how weird it is that you have to drive around the back like some kind of shady bandit. It’s a little bit strange, but once you’re there you should feel right at home. Which reminds me, the next time I’m there I’m definitely buying some burley which sounds right up my alley… And on that topic, where do you typically buy your tobacco?

Reactions: supperthyme

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Hah! You'll find most of us can seldom limit ourselves to one when the question starts, "What is your one favorite....."

Well typically I'd expect a few favorites from a true connoisseur, but I think Embers is what you'd call an over-achiever. ?

What about you, jpmcwjr? What are your mainstays?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I should be good for a bit.?

Good Lord. Preparing for the end of times, are we? How's the fallout shelter coming along?

My favorites are Engine 382, Crooner, Gentleman Caller, and Mojo. 382 gets smoked more as it is a lighter bodied tobacco and more of an all day smoke. I like to sit down with Crooner, not for nicotine content but because those cubes like to jump out of a pipe and I like to be ready with a tamper when I see them coming.?

Thank you for the elaboration. Now that you mention it, I've never experienced much of a nicotine hit with any pipe tobacco- certain cigars on the other hand have knocked me flat on my ass. Has a pipe tobacco ever done that to you?
I'll have to hop on P&C and order a few oz of 382 and Crooner as a Christmas present to myself. As per your warning, I'll keep my tamper ready for any renegade cubes.

I picked up 25 tins of Bruce's favorite tobacco, "Three Year Matured Virginia" that will be the acorn's dedicated blend.

That's a beautiful sentiment! I'm certain that Mr. Weaver would approve. 25 tins is a lot to go through (depending on your pace), do you foresee that acorn becoming a part of your main rotation?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
where do you typically buy your tobacco?

Oof. I will do my best to keep this explanation short and sweet. If I had my way then I would always buy locally... But seeing that I'm at a geographical disadvantage- the bulk of my purchases are made online.
Pipesandcigars and smokingpipes are both great resources for tobacco. SP has a tobacco finder that will help you narrow down your search to specific blend families, ingredients and brands. As chasingembers mentioned, P&C often has sales going on that will help you save a pretty penny on various products. Russ Ouelette is P&C's resident master blender and if I'm not mistaken- he is also a member of this forum. His monthly blends are certainly worth checking out. ☺️
Lastly, there are certain cigar auction sites that also provide pipes and tobacco. I've picked up a couple $100+ value pipes on these sites for around 35 bucks as well as various tins, pouches and pipe stands.

Thank you for the heads up regarding Stag's shady back alley, haha. Should I be worried about finding parking for my pickup? Also- there is no need to fret about tea stains. Recently I've found work as a farm sitter and I am constantly covered in mud and hay. Some oolong on my jeans is the least of my concern.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Good Lord. Preparing for the end of times, are we? How's the fallout shelter coming along?
rotf
I like you!?

Now that you mention it, I've never experienced much of a nicotine hit with any pipe tobacco- certain cigars on the other hand have knocked me flat on my ass. Has a pipe tobacco ever done that to you?
Sadly I've never experience that from a pipe. A big maduro cigar will send me to la-la land though!

do you foresee that acorn becoming a part of your main rotation?
Bruce's pipes are hard to put down for sure. That acorn will certainly become a regular.?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
rotf
I like you!?

Good to hear, I plan to linger on this forum for a long while. ?

Sadly I've never experience that from a pipe. A big maduro cigar will send me to la-la land though!

That is sad.. But perhaps a new goal has just presented itself: Finding that holy grail pipe tobacco that hits harder than Floyd Mayweather.

P.S- Total over-achiever. The McClelland doomsday stash confirms it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In trying to answer the question, my mainstays are all English/Balkan. Margate; Smyrna; Quiet Nights; Plant Full English; Balkan Supreme; Bengal Slices; Balkan Sasieni; Plum Pudding, and on and on. I also like Three Nuns, Dunhill Flake, and a flake where I lost the label. All the above are in current rotation, but there are others in the cupboard. Old Motha Hubbard will be going there before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.