PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
I've often thought of school as a means to an end which doesn't always include knowledge or intelligence. (I'm sure you know what I mean, as you've likely met an inordinately large number of educated derelicts just as I have... Ha!) I sincerely love how my first pipe (the La Rocca panel cut) smokes, but I imagine part of that attraction is my sentimental attachment to it. I sought out other La Roccas because I like the style, but I sort of jumped into building my collection without the benefit of much research or investigation, so I confess I pursued what was familiar. The stem of my 302 is also heavily oxidized, so I've begun reading a few things about restoration. Consequently I purchased some micro-mesh pads and very fine sandpaper that I'm prepared to spend a lot of time with, but if I only had a bench buffer; now THAT would be something! If I experience any worthwhile revelations I'll be sure to share them with others... Your collection sounds fantastic! I'd love to see your Neerup and Nording, but I'm enamored of your plan to pare your collection down in exchange for one exquisite piece. (Are you more inclined to get the mocha or the natural finish, or something different altogether?) That's where I foresee my path going eventually as well, but alas I'm still just a beginner, so I'm strangely compelled to hoard lesser pipes. Is this normal for the novice? :)

Reactions: UncleRasta

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well said, Embers. I've seen you post a bit of your own collection and you seem to have a penchant for more unorthodox shapes and finishes.
There's something very charming about pipes with irregular edges and organic curves.
Indeed. Imaginative shapes always grab my attention especially the Danes' affinity for chasing the grain.

004-001-15775.8500.jpg

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Scott, if you love the way your La Roccas look and smoke then why consider them 'lesser' than any other pipe out there?
Although it may be controversial to say- my experience has been that the vast majority of factory briars are of homogeneous quality.
Above a certain price threshold, you're paying mostly for a name. Of course there are different aesthetics or features that you may be willing to pay for, but in general- the pipes you've already amassed probably smoke equally as well as any Peterson, Stanwell or Savinelli.
As for your 302 project- please remember to take pictures! ? Maybe you'll be able to give me some advice when I take the time to overhaul my own 302. I imagine a lot of stem sanding is in both of our prospective futures.

The Tinsky I have my eye on is a tanblast with a contrast stain. I won't dare to post a picture of it here, lest somebody nabs it before I have the chance. Heavy sandblasting and rustication are really catching my eye these days.
I'll attach some photos of the Neerup and Nording. They've been recently posted in the 'What are you smoking?' thread.

Reactions: Scott Krieger

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Welcome from Eastern CO! So Scott, I'm curious- do you buy your blends online or is there a tobacconist in the area that you trust? I visit Denver every now and then to pick up some local blends but my favorite cigar lounge discontinued their pipe tobacco line.

Supperthyme, where in eastern Colorado do you live? I was born and raised in Burlington...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you own this pipe? A freehand.. volcano? This use of plateau is all too rare and the stem is lovely.
I added that one to my collection back in Spring. A Preben Holm Hallmark H3. I have been apprehensive about putting fire to it as it is what it is, not to mention that it appears on Preben's Wikipedia page. That will change on Christmas morning though.?

Plateau is another favorite feature of mine. The juxtaposition of the raw with the refined on a well carved piece of briar is breathtaking.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Thanks, Mike! Are you a fan of Stag?
Hi Scott,
I am a fan of Stag for sure. I’ve got enough tobacco squirreled away but I really don’t buy anymore, but I go in at least once a month to check their stash, chat a bit, and buy some pipe cleaners if they don’t have anything that my collection is missing. One of the better pipe shops in Colorado, to be sure.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I have been apprehensive about putting fire to it as it is what it is, not to mention that it appears on Preben's Wikipedia page. That will change on Christmas morning though.?

Well I can't think of a better gift to yourself than to light that Preben up on Christmas morning. Sounds magical. Have you chosen a blend to do the honors yet?

We can agree on plateau. It's a beautiful reminder that the pipe in your hand came from the natural world, lived and grew to become something transcendent.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Scott, if you love the way your La Roccas look and smoke then why consider them 'lesser' than any other pipe out there?
Although it may be controversial to say- my experience has been that the vast majority of factory briars are of homogeneous quality.
Above a certain price threshold, you're paying mostly for a name. Of course there are different aesthetics or features that you may be willing to pay for, but in general- the pipes you've already amassed probably smoke equally as well as any Peterson, Stanwell or Savinelli.
As for your 302 project- please remember to take pictures! ? Maybe you'll be able to give me some advice when I take the time to overhaul my own 302. I imagine a lot of stem sanding is in both of our prospective futures.

The Tinsky I have my eye on is a tanblast with a contrast stain. I won't dare to post a picture of it here, lest somebody nabs it before I have the chance. Heavy sandblasting and rustication are really catching my eye these days.
I'll attach some photos of the Neerup and Nording. They've been recently posted in the 'What are you smoking?' thread.

View attachment 7470

View attachment 7471
Needless to say these pipes are extraordinary looking. Do you use a bit very often when you smoke? I haven't, but wonder if they're must-haves for those who use them... I self-disparagingly (and jokingly) refer to my common pipes as lesser not so much in how they smoke or even feel, but because I know there are some unbelievably unique and magnificent looking pieces out there that I would love to hold, look at, and maybe even smoke, and I love to dream... What are your current favorite tobaccos?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.