PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Hello, everyone! After I quit smoking cigarettes about 10 years ago, I eventually developed a keen interest (and now a fascination/obsession) in pipe smoking. My father cautioned me that smoking a pipe would make me want to go back to cigarettes, but I'm happy to say that after five years of pipe smoking I still have exactly zero desire to smoke a cigarette. I began with two primary pipes -- a La Rocca Sienna for English tobacco, and a Peterson Kinsale for aromatics -- and have now begun adding to my small collection. My initial question is this: I bought an old pipe on eBay recently that was advertised as a "Whitehall", but when I received the pipe the name stamped on it actually appears to be "Withehall". I realize how foolish this may sound, but is it more likely this pipe is a cheap knockoff of some sort being passed off as a "Whitehall", or is there even a remote chance that there was a factory typo, or that the brand "Withehall" actually exists? I'm laughing as I type this, but I'm dead serious. Thanks!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Hello, everyone! After I quit smoking cigarettes about 10 years ago, I eventually developed a keen interest (and now a fascination/obsession) in pipe smoking. My father cautioned me that smoking a pipe would make me want to go back to cigarettes, but I'm happy to say that after five years of pipe smoking I still have exactly zero desire to smoke a cigarette. I began with two primary pipes -- a La Rocca Sienna for English tobacco, and a Peterson Kinsale for aromatics -- and have now begun adding to my small collection. My initial question is this: I bought an old pipe on eBay recently that was advertised as a "Whitehall", but when I received the pipe the name stamped on it actually appears to be "Withehall". I realize how foolish this may sound, but is it more likely this pipe is a cheap knockoff of some sort being passed off as a "Whitehall", or is there even a remote chance that there was a factory typo, or that the brand "Withehall" actually exists? I'm laughing as I type this, but I'm dead serious. Thanks!

I'd send that bad boy back. Definitely something amiss there. Ebay has an easy process for returns. It starts by contacting the seller. and informing them of the issue. At times, I have received a refund without being asked to return the pipe. People usually want to protect their positive feedback.

Reactions: Scott Krieger

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
I'd send that bad boy back. Definitely something amiss there. Ebay has an easy process for returns. It starts by contacting the seller. and informing them of the issue. At times, I have received a refund without being asked to return the pipe. People usually want to protect their positive feedback.
That's a great suggestion, 7charb. I sincerely appreciate it!

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Welcome from Eastern CO! So Scott, I'm curious- do you buy your blends online or is there a tobacconist in the area that you trust? I visit Denver every now and then to pick up some local blends but my favorite cigar lounge discontinued their pipe tobacco line.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Welcome from Ontario, Canada!

As for your pipe, if the pipe looks good and smokes well, and didn't cost too much I say just keep it. It will give you something to smile about once you have a larger rotation.
That's a good point, Mike! It is rather humorous, isn't it? "Withehall". Wth? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.