PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
What's the actual difference between Sav's and the Rossi line? Does anyone have any direct experience? I know, it's not such a huge plunge financially speaking and the more pipes the better, but in the 60-70ish dollar range there's a lot of options. I am definitely going overboard as far as research but I'm riding the bench right now so I have too much time on my hands and not enough money. Also, I have been to a few different sites, does anyone know if Rossi is limited to 6mm filters? Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I don't know about the more the better but it's all personal opinion, certainly wouldn't be my opinion going in and especially if money was tight.

The search feature here works rather well as well.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I don't know about the more the better but it's all personal opinion, certainly wouldn't be my opinion going in and especially if money was tight.

The search feature here works rather well as well.

thanks for the advice, I was about to spend my life savings on a dunhill.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
fun fact a pipe cost what it costs because the people selling it think it can be sold for that price. The trick is figuring out which ones you think are worth what. Generally most pipes are going to be decent pipes and there is only so much practical improvement that is physically possible. Remember a pipe is a tool but also an aesthetically designed piece of craft. You pay for both and sometimes more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I own quite a few Savineli and a few Rossi, and my take is that the Rossi come in Savinelli shapes and are functional and durable, and in most cases the smoking characteristics are similar.

I would say that the Savinelli finishes are better, more elegant and expensively done. The draw is more dependably open and well-drilled.

But the Rossi are very good, nothing to complain about.

Rossi shapes are numbered the same as Savinelli but have an 8 added to the front of the number, so a San 404 is a Rossi 8404, for example.

Follow your budget. If you can afford a Savinellie, do that. A Rossi makes a dependable yard, fishing, or travel pipe, and will be a good smoker on your rack for decades, probably the rest of your life.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I own quite a few Savineli and a few Rossi, and my take is that the Rossi come in Savinelli shapes and are functional and durable, and in most cases the smoking characteristics are similar.

I would say that the Savinelli finishes are better, more elegant and expensively done. The draw is more dependably open and well-drilled.

But the Rossi are very good, nothing to complain about.

Rossi shapes are numbered the same as Savinelli but have an 8 added to the front of the number, so a San 404 is a Rossi 8404, for example.

Follow your budget. If you can afford a Savinellie, do that. A Rossi makes a dependable yard, fishing, or travel pipe, and will be a good smoker on your rack for decades, probably the rest of your life.
Thank you.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I view Rossi pipes as Savinelli's budget line (rather than seconds). They are probably separated by briar quality prior to carving. If you compare shapes, you'll find virtually everything in Rossi that you do in Savinelli. If you compare finishes, it's clear that Savinelli brand is well ahead of a Rossi finish.

Personally, I love the few Rossi pipes that I have. Good smokers that I don't mind taking camping, backyard fires and car shows. I really have never hesitated to buy Rossi vs Savinelli for just the finish. And I do own several Savinelli pipes.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I view Rossi pipes as Savinelli's budget line (rather than seconds). They are probably separated by briar quality prior to carving. If you compare shapes, you'll find virtually everything in Rossi that you do in Savinelli. If you compare finishes, it's clear that Savinelli brand is well ahead of a Rossi finish.

Personally, I love the few Rossi pipes that I have. Good smokers that I don't mind taking camping, backyard fires and car shows. I really have never hesitated to buy Rossi vs Savinelli for just the finish. And I do own several Savinelli pipes.
Thanks, yeah I'm really digging my Mezzanotte. Going to get a couple more soon

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Rossi's often come without the damn filter that seems to be on almost all Savinelli's. Also, many Rossi's have vulcanite stems. Quality seems the same to me.

Reactions: Scottmi

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
What's the actual difference between Sav's and the Rossi line? Does anyone have any direct experience? I know, it's not such a huge plunge financially speaking and the more pipes the better, but in the 60-70ish dollar range there's a lot of options. I am definitely going overboard as far as research but I'm riding the bench right now so I have too much time on my hands and not enough money. Also, I have been to a few different sites, does anyone know if Rossi is limited to 6mm filters? Thanks.
If you have 60 to 70 dollars I would suggest a 100 savinelli. 30 dollars is not that much of a difference. Hope you get whatever pipe you think is the best bargain and it is a great smoker!