PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Rossi pipes are made by Savinelli, yes? I recently got a Rossi 8616, which is like the Savinelli 616. How is this Rossi lesser quality? Do they use cheaper briar, take less care or time, or what? I love this pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rossi are not only made by Savenelli, but they have many of the same shapes, and the shapes often have the same number with the addition of an extra numeral at the front, so for the classic Savenelli zulu/yacht shape 404 they have the 8404 ( I think it is). The Rossi pipes also have the same 6 mm balsa filter set-up with adaptors available, as do the Savenelli pipes. With the arrival of the Rossi line, the unfinished Savenelli pipes, that have long been available as unfiltered less expensive pipes, have become more uncommon, supplanted it seems by the Rossi line. The Rossi's look good to me, with their dark, somewhat matte finishes. They don't show much grain on the smooth finishes, but they have some blast versions, some without filters. This is, it seems to me, a way for Savenelli to offer a lower price pipe with many of the same quality features and same good smoking characteristics, but with less expensive and labor devoted to finish and embellishment. Good lower priced pipes.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've got both Rossi and Savinelli pipes, and find they both smoke the same, which is to say, great! My Rossi came with a bowl coating that I usually don't like so I sanded it out, and used a drill bit by hand to make sure the airway in the shank was clear, open and free of coating too. The briar may be better on some of the more expensive Savinelli pipes, but honestly I don't think there is much difference in the average priced Rossi or Savinelli pipes. I feel they both offer a great build quality and smoking value for either brand. That's just my opinion, others may have had different experiences.

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
Can't speak to the Rossis, but if they are indeed similar to Savinellis, of which I have many which have always delivered great satisfaction, and at a lower price, I'd say they are a bargain.

Mar 1, 2014
The bowl coating was blocking the draft hole on the Rossi that I bought, but other than that it's a great pipe (especially for $40).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Rossi pipes are made by Savinelli, yes? I recently got a Rossi 8616, which is like the Savinelli 616. How is this Rossi lesser quality? Do they use cheaper briar, take less care or time, or what? I love this pipe.
Rossi pipes are Savinelli pipes that are rejected due to defects identified after the stummels are fraised. After this point the lines each receive brand specific finishing, the largest point of variance is the stem, which for Rossi is unfiltered vulcanite. The unfinished savinelli line should give you an idea of what the rossi stummels look like before staining and rustication.

Rossi are cheaper in retail and I think are Savinelli rejects and hence under the Rossi banner. If you look into the history of the brand though it was not the case. Interestingly, the wholesale prices of Rossi and Savinelli pipes aren't that different. Just a slight extra for the starter Savs compared to the Rossi.
Rossi name appeals to me as I am a big Criminal Minds fan.
I may be wrong in my conjecture. Perhaps someone from SPC can elaborate the difference?
Cheers,

Chris

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an afterthought, it occurs to me that the introduction of a whole line of lower priced pipes would logically hike the Savenelli marque prices in some decisive way. It feels to me like both Savenelli and Peterson are headed toward having all of their pipes starting at $100, so Rossi will provide a lower end for their market. Although the Rossi line currently begins at about $45, most of their pipes are in the $70 range. This is bad news except inasmuch as many of us own several stamped Savenelli pipes.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Well, I'd never heard of Rossi, but I have been looking for sitting pipes. I couldn't find a Savinelli that I liked, that was a sitter.
After reading this thread, a search turned up this Rossi sitter:
rossi-sitting-dublin.png

So I ordered it from Smokingpipes.com. It looks like it will also fit the coin tray in my truck. If so, that will be a bonus. I'll post a review when it comes in...

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
That's a perfect example of the transition from Savinelli to Rossi pipes. That exact pipe used to be called the Savinelli Sitting Antique Shell. Now it's the same exact pipe with a Rossi stamp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.