PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm a fan of Robert McConnell's Red Virginia. Its not a straight red Virginia as it does have a just a smidge of perique, but the red Virginias are most definitely the star of the show. The very restrained perique is completely overshadowed by the sweet, fruity, almost strawberry tanginess of the red Virginias. One of my favorites that I will never be without. An easy all day smoke. Kind of tough to get, but its around periodically and is reasonably priced. K&K has done a wonderful job with that blend.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Another one that I thought of is Two Friends Redwood (C&D product). Not a straight Red Virginia because it does contain some Perique, but it is very tasty and exhibits a lot of the flavors that you are looking for. Good Price, too.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Not the easiest to get but if you see it reasonably priced McCrannies Red Ribbon (McClellands's) Is Simply Divine.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Take a look at WCC or KBV blends.
My thoughts exactly.

The following list are some of my favorite Red Virginia blends:

KBV
Redline
Byronic Hiro
Voodoo Tour (has perique)

C&D
Carolina Red Flake (duh)

Watch City
Rhythm n Blues
Simply Red
Rouxgaroux (has perique)
Old Dominion (has perique)
558 (has perique)

HU
My Red Fox

Sutliff
Cringle Flake
States of Virginia

McClelland
Christmas Cheer
Virginia Woods

Reactions: BronzeAgePiper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Small Batch Carolina Red Flake is a favorite when you can find it, pretty sure i bought most of it up slowly over time, i even enjoy the /Perique version, I've also loaded up on Union Square during one of the SPC sales, and I don't think i've even tried it yet, so much tobacco so little time... thank God. lol
A year later and I pretty much smoked SB CRF w/Perique 98% of the time now.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Afternoon everyone,
I'm fairly new to the game and really don't like the bright/light virginia leaf but really enjoy the red/matured va. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a red/matured va forward blend?
Watch City Cigar, Simply Red

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As a fan of the old McClelland 5100 Red Cake, I really like the Sutliff 515 RC-1. Clearly not the same, but for me it's a nice replacement.

I've tried C&D Red Virginia Ribbon, and Red Odessa. On their own they're okay, but not a huge fan. I ended up mixing them with some Hearth and Home Louisiana Red, and the last bit of 515 RC-1 to make a red mixture.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You might try C&D Derringer. Not sure whether it has red, but it has less of the yellow lemony leaf and more dark virginias. Quite savory and has some umph!

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
First, which red Virginia blend is it that you like? Because there are ways that this could go, that might take you further away from what you already like. For example, Hearth and Homes Marble Kake is a red, but it is on the light and subtle side. Red Virginias isn't just one type of leaf.
Is it different red virginia species? I didn't know that. I thought the only difference was processing.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
McConnell Red Virginia. Just a smidgen of perique and a lightly applied topping, but the VA is the star. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.