PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVpiper3

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
West Virginia
First, which red Virginia blend is it that you like? Because there are ways that this could go, that might take you further away from what you already like. For example, Hearth and Homes Marble Kake is a red, but it is on the light and subtle side. Red Virginias isn't just one type of leaf.

So II'm looking for more of an earthy fuller robust red va, im a big fan of sutliff red virginia its sweet but not bitey and just a tad fuller bodied than that of a bright va. any think like that?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You'll get better recommendations above and from other folks as well on here I've gotten recommendations from and searched out. Long list!

I've developed a taste for the "darker" and love it, but I like the "brights" as well.

If you want to get into some red or darker with a little bit of aro tossed in, I'll throw exploring some of the Ken Byron blends in the mix. Wilke's Lizzie is great with some orange VA in there as well.

WVpiper3

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
West Virginia
You'll get better recommendations above and from other folks as well on here I've gotten recommendations from and searched out. Long list!

I've developed a taste for the "darker" and love it, but I like the "brights" as well.

If you want to get into some red or darker with a little bit of aro tossed in, I'll throw exploring some of the Ken Byron blends in the mix. Wilke's Lizzie is great with some orange VA in there as well.

Any particular ken Byron blend you think might fit the bill? I've never tried his/their stuff so I'm open to it

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
For red Virginia, I love Sutliff 515 and their Red Virginia Ribbon. Neither are nearly as strong as Irish Flake, I don’t recall picking up Red Virginia in IF. Mac Baren Pure Virginia leads with a red Virginia imo. I also love Union Square and do pick up Red Va in the mix. I second the Edisto rec as well! And don’t forget Sutliff crumble cake red Va!

Last edited:

WVpiper3

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
West Virginia
For red Virginia, I love Sutliff 515 and their Red Virginia Ribbon. Neither are nearly as strong as Irish Flake, I don’t recall picking up Red Virginia in IF. Mac Baren Pure Virginia leads with a red Virginia imo. I also love Union Square and do pick up Red Va in the mix. I second the Edisto rec as well! And don’t forget Sutliff crumble cake red Va!

I completely Agree, I wasn't implying there was red va in IF I was just saying as far as earthiness and full bodied goes, thats what I'm looking for but red va forward. Sutliff 515

I think is going to be the one I look for though, I've heard great things about that one, thanks for the recommendation!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For something a bit different, buy some Simply Red from Watch City Cigars when they next offer it. Put it away for a couple of years, and watch the magic come to pass.. Also try Simply Orange from Watch City when they next offer it as well.
Late next year, keep an eye out for Sufliff Cringle Flake, and if you see it, be sure to pick up some of the 2020 Cringle flake if you really want that matured Red. It's the closest to McClelland's Red I've tasted since McClelland closed up shop in 2018.