PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I would think eBay would have an automated method to identify probable fraudulent listings, like credit card companies do. They could focus on new or nearly new sellers. It feels like they're not doing their part.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've felt that way, too. And contacting them about fraud isn't simple. Submit a form, hope for a reply, never get to talk to anyone.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Much of the electronics used in running our national defense is from China.
Good point.
eBay is designed for fraud. Those are sales, too. In fact, the whole internet economy is based on fraud, from the fake Facebook ad impressions to the ten plus percent of users on Twitter who are (Russian?!) bots.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
eBay is a great place to get estates, but you have to be careful, check the seller for ratings, check the photos carefully, ask questions, and if it looks too good to be true, walk away.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks Sablebrush! Shockingly, I could find none this morning. I reported a few last night. The pattern I've noticed I'd that three or four new ones are posted when others are taken down, and generally quite soon thereafter. Too soon to declare victory, though!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I reported a couple yesterday, and they've been removed. I doubt the scumbag is making much off this scam, so maybe he'll move on, at least for awhile. eBay is too vulnerable to fraud but there's no practical way to impede it without cutting into profits.

So for those of you who use eBay, tread carefully, and if you run across a snake, drop a hammer on him.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm going to keep at it twice a day for a couple weeks. There were seven this morning. Maybe loading up for the heavy weekend activity. I'm just hoping that the process isn't automated, in which case I'd be wasting my time. It's worth a try.
I discovered saved searches, which had made the process quite quick for me.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Asked a bullshit inquiry to one of the sellers. I was replied to with something like the pipe is being sold at a low price,will give me pleasure and will be arriving in 25-30 days guaranteed. They would even contact the post office for updates with regards to tracking.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Ebay always support the sellers even though they say that they support the buyers. A few months ago i was purchasing a Nikon camera, i paid through paypal and waited for the delivery, after the delivery date passed and a few days later i contacted the seller asking where it was, obviously no reply. I contacted ebay who removed the listing from my ebay so i couldn't leave negative feedback and i was refunded. A short time later i was again searching for a Nikon camera and came across the exact same deal under a different seller, which was infact the seller i had the trouble with, i know this because when i checked his feedback it was the exact same as the first one i had trouble with.

Hope this makes sense, it did when i was typing it.
Wiz

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Wish I would’ve seen this thread last week. The scam even made its way to the obscure LHS pipes. Thought I found the deal of the century. I read the description twice to make sure it was, what I thought it was. In the excitement I pulled my wallet out like the fastest gun in the west without checking the seller info.
Immediately after payment the listing disappeared. I called eBay and they promptly reversed payment.
Chump of the year award goes to... me.

Status
Not open for further replies.