PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Yep, been seeing these listings for Penzance and lighters as well, and have heard of other unrelated items popping up with the same format (zero feedback from China with stolen pics). My guess is that there is a team or possibly even a company in China doing this, and it's easy enough to hide IP addresses. I did a quick search to see if other people were complaining about these listings, and while not exactly the same situation, I started reading about Ebay counterfeit-item whistleblowers allegedly getting their accounts banned, and one interesting story of how Ebay might support and encourage the counterfeiters by allegedly telling them what is popular and what they should copy. :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I actually thought about spell checking that one but it sounded right in my head when I worded it out. Yep, my spelling is for shit.
I am surprised that people don't automatically ignore any auctions from China. I know no matter what they were auctioning for any price, I would ignore it. I also have a rule that I don't buy anything that is not from a U.S supplier and they have to have at least 50 perfect reviews. There are just too many good people on ebay to buy from.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am surprised that people don't automatically ignore any auctions from China. I know no matter what they were auctioning for any price, I would ignore it. I also have a rule that I don't buy anything that is not from a U.S supplier and they have to have at least 50 perfect reviews. There are just too many good people on ebay to buy from.
Harris, good advice. These listings are very obvious fakes. But they're designed to ensnare people who have what my former boss used to refer to as "larceny in their hearts", that is, people who think they're getting an unbelievable deal as the expense of another, often thinking they're the beneficiary of anothers unwitting mistake or ignorance. Sure, that $3000 ultra high grade is going to sell for $16.95. Yeah, and I have a bridge over the East River to sell you, and some swamp land in Florida.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
But they're designed to ensnare people who have what my former boss used to refer to as "larceny in their hearts", that is, people who think they're getting an unbelievable deal as the expense of another, often thinking they're the beneficiary of anothers unwitting mistake or ignorance.
a.k.a. "You can't cheat an honest man."

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
There getting better, home pics instead of using just the full time guys. Also not as expensive pipes. However the answer is always look at the seller.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I started reading about Ebay counterfeit-item whistleblowers allegedly getting their accounts banned, and one interesting story of how Ebay might support and encourage the counterfeiters by allegedly telling them what is popular and what they should copy.
Plausible, since the frauds have been there for many years at this point.
eBay is somewhat horrible, when you think about it.
Then again, fraud -- especially from China, Russia, and Nigeria -- seems to be everywhere on the net these days.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This dumb POS is BACK! Please rain down reports of his latest fraud on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Silver-Banded-Orlik-Pipes-Cased-Chester-1909-eBay/112675600751?hash=item1a3bfd396f:g:Kz0AAOSwuhFaJ72y

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Arrgh...!!! We'll keep at him. Looks clear at the moment. At least we've made a dent and we've proven that it's not automated to the point where accounts and listings are created robotically; otherwise, they wouldn't have stopped even for a few days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This seller is my second cousin on my mothers side and is totally legit. Everyone knows you can buy a 1920's Pre Trans Barling in perfect shape for 20 bucks.
Just noticed this and another post that indicates why Harris was 'absent'. So glad your health is better.
And, yes, as to quote, I bought a dozen the price was so good.
And I bet the 1920's price was around $20.00 also— in very unadjusted dollars.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that the dude is playing hide and seek, trying to figure out the best time to slip in unnoticed, trying to see if we'll give up and go away. I never expected that he would just give up. He's sociopathic and predatory. And there are, unfortunately, enough gullible, or greedy, crooked and stupid, pipe smokers to make this clumsy gambit worth the effort.
He's screwed 'cause it's easy to do a search a couple of times a day. It also seems that eBay is responding more quickly, so thanks to all who report these fake listings.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
You could have a team of 1000 people and never put a dent in all the online scamming. It's buyer beware. I think everybody knows that at this point. Even Ebay tells you that. Not only should you not buy anything expensive from China on Ebay, do not sell YOUR stuff to China either. Go into settings and shut off international bids. Otherwise you can get stuck paying the postage to China.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
In this particular case, Sablebrush and I seem to be making an actual dent.
...and I...and others as well. And yep, these listings are far less rampant lately. I've reported countless items posted by this crook. I also called eBay when I first encountered these listings to explain what I believe is going on. 20 USD here and there throughout the day with an endless combination of user names...one could make a handsome living at it. We all know that these $20 pipe listings are the very same person (or group), but who knows if eBay has or expends the resources to dig into the details, or the ability to track them down and connect the dots to put a stop to the operation. I suppose it's like the five-finger-thieves at Target or Walmart. There's a certain amount of that which will happen regardless of how large you make the packaging or how many anti-theft devices you attach, or whether you've got ample security measures in place. eBay is a huge organization...but not huge enough to ultimately stop this kind of thing completely.
In the meantime...I see it as my duty to report it when I see a fraudelent listing; of course I know that we'll not stop this kind of activity altogether, of course not...BUT...my fraud report might save one fellow piper that $20 which he may have spent (and all of the hassle of reporting it and trying to get his $$ back), and it only takes me a few clicks to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.