PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Evan Williams 86 proof

The good cheap bourbon

I didn't think you drank?

As for myself, I always ask for decent bourbons from my brother as gifts (christmas, birthday). He live in kentucky and always finds a great bottle. My favorite have been barrel proof and I rarely enjoy rye.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Evan Williams 86 proof

The good cheap bourbon

Evan Williams is like the Carter Hall of whiskey. Cheap and unpretentious, but just plain good.

Evan Williams is like the Carter Hall of whiskey. Cheap and unpretentious, but just plain good.
Yep, after being in a bourbon tasting club and spending +$100 per bottle sometimes, I was surprised when we had a tasting of Evan Williams and Jim Beam. The director of the tastings kept saying how nasty it was, but I was surprised at how much more drinkable the cheaper stuff was. Old Forester was another one.

If I were going to drink bourbon to get drunk, I definitely wouldn’t waste my money on single barrels or ltd releases that burn my throat, when the more smooth bourbons can be had for $18 a bottle. But, I am just being careful not to become dependent on the drink. I’ve seen how hard shaking nicotine can be for me.

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
I'm the same way with whisky and whiskey as I am with pipe tobacco; I don't let connoisseurship interfere with enjoyment. 86 proof? That'll do. Cask strength will do too. Evan Williams; Johnny Walker Black. Tastes good to me. "Better" stuff? Islay, especially lagavulin, various single malts from various places. Tastes good too; sometimes even better. I couldn't tell you which variety of mushroom and leather tanning process nuances I'm getting, though -- don't give it any thought, truth be told. Skoal.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Yep, after being in a bourbon tasting club and spending +$100 per bottle sometimes, I was surprised when we had a tasting of Evan Williams and Jim Beam. The director of the tastings kept saying how nasty it was, but I was surprised at how much more drinkable the cheaper stuff was. Old Forester was another one.

If I were going to drink bourbon to get drunk, I definitely wouldn’t waste my money on single barrels or ltd releases that burn my throat, when the more smooth bourbons can be had for $18 a bottle. But, I am just being careful not to become dependent on the drink. I’ve seen how hard shaking nicotine can be for me.
Bourbon is hard to screw up because the standards of production are fairly stringent. Even the cheapest bourbons like Old Crow tend to be pretty inoffensive. I can't say the same for some of the bottom shelf Scotch whisky I've had the displeasure of imbibing.

When I drank more heavily, it was usually Evan Williams or Teacher's Highland Cream with a couple of rocks or a splash of water, though I also liked making a cocktail with 2oz of Teacher's and a pint of Belhaven. These days, I prefer the clear-headedness of tobacco while relaxing, but when I do pick up a bottle, I tend to spend a little more. Balcones Brimstone has become my default choice.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I don't let connoisseurship interfere with enjoyment.
Same. I used to try to analyze and pick apart all of the nuanced flavors in everything and attempt to "understand" whiskey (and tobacco) that I didn't really like. I'm pretty much over that now. I just want to enjoy something for what it is without putting too much thought and labor into acts of leisure.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
If I'm buying whiskey and it ain't scotch, I gravitate toward Old Overholt 114, which I thought was only available in Pennsylvania, but I've seen it a couple times at stores near Baltimore.

H

HRPufnstuf

"Uisge Beatha", water of life. Auchentoshan, the Balvenie, and Tullibardine. Any of these as a multi-cask single malt will turn your head forever.

But for God's sake, keep it neat. Ice is a sin against nature.