PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Adding a few drops of water to whiskey will help it open up And can help bring down a “too high” of proof bottle. I have also brought some whiskey up in proof by adding a cask strength version from the same distillery. The Frankenstein mixes can be a lot of fun, but also a bit of a rabbit hole.

Cheers.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I enjoy cask strength quite a bit. Neat is generally my preference, but sometimes a drop of water really opens things up (but not always). The nth degree nerd in me enjoys using matching regional waters for the Scotches I have on hand.
And I thought I was bad with all the mason jars of Frankenstein batches I have on hand. I have not even considered tracking down matching waters. I am open for your next happy hour.

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
90-110. I have a couple that sit around 124-138 and i usually let them sit a few minutes after the pour.

I also generally use a giant ice cube or ball.

I’m sure a purist will scoff and possibly pull his underwear into his ass clenching so hard.

Here’s the thing, until you buy my dram, I don’t care how you drink yours, so don’t worry about how I drink mine.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'm primarily a Scotch drinker and I would guess that 96 proof is my floor. I've had several below that level that were good but they don't captivate my attention as much as many of the cask strength expressions do. That said, Springbank 18, which is right at 46% is my all-time favorite whisky.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Had to go look, lol, never think about it. Some at 80/86/90+ - don’t see anything over 100 —- mostly single malt Scotch, a couple Irish pot.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
86 to 88 proof (43%-44%) is a real good place for me. There is a lot more going on at these levels than 80 proof without things becoming overly alcoholic.

That being said I have a lot of Bourbons that are BIB and 100 proof and are quite nice even at these levels. I have some various bottles that push into the 124-128 proof range that I do occasionally sip but a person better be aware and prepared for this level.

I have one over-proofed rum at 138 proof that I can't tell if the alcohol level is too much or it's just not very good rum to begin with which doesn't even really make a good mixer.

Reactions: ThermionicScott