Please Stop Personal Attacks (All Read!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"So if I understand this correctly, terms of address like douche or scumbag are to be avoided. This is seriously going to reduce my usable online vocabulary."
"Those are OK, but only when used a term of endearment."
Douché! :)

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I should add that I didn't see the bloody ending as I went to bed 10pm AST. Sorry I missed wreck.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. A few of us promptly threw him back in the bed and gave him a blanket party. There was some laughing, some crying and then Gunny Al showed up and broke it up. Just another Saturday night.
3I7oKzN.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sometimes people need to be reminded of their stupidity, so calling them a douche bag isn't a personal attack; its just a friendly reminder they're being stupid again. Just trying to get them to see the error of their ways and for them to straighten up. :mrgreen:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe this thread does have a unifying theme after all.
Perhaps it needs a theme song to tie it all together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Mak2kAf4o

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My $0.02:
Gentlemanly and ladylike behavior is important at all times.
It should be permissible to criticize actions; calling people angry names and casting aspersions on their character seems beyond the pale to me.
As with all communities, the best rule is that you can say anything, provided you say it in the right way.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My observation is that those without the necessary filters or upbringing either learn or leave. The members here are actually pretty good a policing each other and themselves. I think the mods do a fair job of letting the members run off leash.

Some people just don't "get" subtle nuances of the language that differentiates criticizing someone's ideas from criticizing them personally. I have no idea what the incident was that sparked this thread, but my guess is that it involved a knuckle dragger that communicated better with "foul" choices of words over ideas. Some people get confused beyond a simple yes or no answer or explanations that go beyond four words at a time.
And yes, these folks tend to get the Darwin treatment, as far as the forum gene pool goes anyways.
If you take things in a hobby forum so seriously that something can hurt your feelings... Or, if this post was too long for you to comprehend... then there is this place where all the "good" dogs go when they leave here, called Facebook... they have pastures, animals to chase, "like" buttons, and "ignore" buttons for those who just need technological help in moderating their minds, moods, and inclinations. You can even set the security level to "family" and then you can have them exclude all of the hurtful content for you. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Let me guess - still a virgin? For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, my comment above should in no way be construed or interpreted as a personal attack.
Virginity is something that should be cherished by all and should only be given freely when the time is right.
Now, carry on.
Yes indeed. No offense taken. Actually I just lost my virginity and what do you know, in a few months you're gonna big a big brother!
:rofl: Well played Sir....well played!!
Oh, and I agree with the original post! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.