PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Outstanding news!
Jesse, you just go ahead and call the ball. Unless someone has a burning need for either, one is just as good as the other.
Awesome news that the quality is so good.
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll wait to see how the others feel. The Oppenheimer will be a big job - oversized pages that will be scanned in sections and pieced together, and 64 of those. I'll have to issue it in parts or the file will kill the average computer. But as both need to be done, it doesn't matter with which one I start.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I'll have to issue it in parts or the file will kill the average computer.
File size is something the group may need to discuss in the not-so-distant future. I can only directly attach files 25MB or smaller. Larger files - everything I will be sending - have to go on Google Drive. Free Google Drive storage is limited to 15GB. If we want to maintain rapid access for future pool members, we may have to rent additional storage.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Anyone considered maybe Kevin might be willing to provide space for the digital files in a log on section. General forum members get "Read Only". Pool members get "download" privileges. Kevin gets access to historic archives as a forum feature, we get accessible file space. Personally I don't object to others getting access to the material but think only contributing members should get a download access. That's the incentive to join. Anybody else have thoughts here? Do we think it's worth asking?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Scanned 25 pages in sections today. More next weekend. Finish scanning the following week. Then a couple days of line up, color correction, and assembly. This one is tricky because it's stapled from the side, rather than down the center. Short of disassembling the catalog, there's no way to make it completely flat at the crease. I'm pressing down with each scan to get it as close as I can while keeping the catalog intact. Hopefully the Civic will be more straightforward.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52, When I laid hands on that catalog, I knew it was going to be a tricky thing to scan. How could the folks at Oppenheimer have been so shortsighted? 25 pages already is quick work. The Civic looked to be much more scanner-friendly. In the defense of Oppenheimer, their catalog came with a large medallion on the cover. The Civic catalog is more spartan.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In other news, the first treasurer's report has been sent to all pool members. If you have not received it, please let me know.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's an update. All 72 pages of the 1938 Oppenheimer Catalog have been scanned. That's in the neighborhood of 150 scans, as some pages required 3 scans to make joining around decorative elements more easily done. Next come line up, color correction, and assembly. With luck, I should have the catalog ready for distribution by a week from Monday.
EDIT: Wouldn't it make better sense to move this thread to the Ephemera forum?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's an update on the Oppenheimer Catalog. I'm up to page 47 on assembling the scans. Lining up and color correcting the scans has been a tricky job and some of the pages required 3 to 4 scans to protect the various design elements, but it's looking good, and I think that you all will be pleased with the result. There's a lot of great information in this catalog. I was surprised to see the name of a company known to me as a very high end audio maker listed as one of the makers of lighters!
I should be done by this weekend and will send it out to Buroak to distribute. Because of the size, I will send it in 2 or 3 sections.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
Question, does the The Complete Smoker magazine exist any more. I was able to obtain two of them from 1991, that have very interesting Charatan facts

about pricing , model series and history.
Walter

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52, Has my recently crazy schedule made the time fly, or are you way ahead of your estimated schedule? Whatever the case may be, I am thrilled to see the final product.
Walter, I think that magazine is defunct. The copies you have sound very interesting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sablebrush52, Has my recently crazy schedule made the time fly, or are you way ahead of your estimated schedule? Whatever the case may be, I am thrilled to see the final product.
I had a little more time to spend on this so I was able to get this out sooner than predicted.
The Oppenheimer Catalog
is finished and ready
for distribution.

It's in three parts as the over sized original pages and the number of pages would have created a huge document. As it is, each part is just a little shy of 300mb apiece. It came out reasonably well, considering that every page is a mosaic of scans that needed to be color corrected and fitted.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52, thank you for all the time, skill, and effort that went into this. The results are wonderful. The catalog has been distributed to everyone from whom I have received an email address and contribution to the pool. If any pool members have trouble accessing the files, please let me know right away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have some extra time on my hands as I've been obliged to stop working for a while. 45 years of manual labor has caused problems in my neck, which is affecting my painting arm. I can't work, except in extreme pain. So my doctor has requested me to give it a rest for several weeks, while applying ice packs and heat. I have exercises to do. We'll also try cortisone and perhaps acupuncture as well. The hope is that we can avoid a complicated surgery, which can cause other problems. So you get your Oppenheimer catalog a bit early.
I'm going to take a break for the coming week, and start on the Civic Catalog, though I will take this one more slowly. Less hours each day, and stop if anything hurts. I should have that one in 5 - 6 weeks. The process is tedious, but the result is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.