PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
The Oppenheimer scan is terrific. I have just about figured out the down load sequence. Nice job.
Walter

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a fabulous item to have. I'll try printing it out tomorrow. I want get more familiar with those odd shape numbers.
Just for fun, I googled 38 Finsbury Square. Below is what it looks like today.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have some extra time on my hands as I've been obliged to stop working for a while. 45 years of manual labor has caused problems in my neck, which is affecting my painting arm. I can't work, except in extreme pain. So my doctor has requested me to give it a rest for several weeks, while applying ice packs and heat. I have exercises to do. We'll also try cortisone and perhaps acupuncture as well. The hope is that we can avoid a complicated surgery, which can cause other problems. So you get your Oppenheimer catalog a bit early.
I'm going to take a break for the coming week, and start on the Civic Catalog, though I will take this one more slowly. Less hours each day, and stop if anything hurts. I should have that one in 5 - 6 weeks. The process is tedious, but the result is worth it.
I am sorry to hear that your injury is the reason you have had more time for this project. I hope rest and treatment can help you avoid surgery and get you back to health.
Speaking for myself, the Civic catalog can wait. For one thing, there is plenty to digest in Oppenheimer catalog.

May 31, 2012
Oh.My.God.

8O
The Oppy catalog is a jawdropping stunner!
Jesse, the scan itself is like museum archival quality, WOW! eyepoppingly beautiful, the great artwork along with slight patina, it's a very warm publication and a true feast!
I haven't even completed looking through it wholly yet as I was happily zapped by p.14 and stopped dead in my tracks,

a mystery solved for me, one of the best aspects of the old catalogs is the knowledge and learning and I found the answer to something I've been very curious about,

this old City de Luxe:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/city-de-luxe-with-oddball-reg-no
I was totally stumped by the NCR prefix and the odd tenon thingy, and p.14 provided revelation!
NC stands for the "unbeakable peg" tenon design and the R stands for RockRoot, neat stuff because I wasn't sure about RR being used for blasts, I wonder at what point the RR became the rusticated finish?
Regardless, it's a full deep pleasure to read and look at such a lovely publication and I'm totally stoked that there's so much City de Luxe stuff innit, it's chock full!
This catalog was definitely worth every last red cent and is a major coup for the group,

well done!
Thank you Jesse for your ultrafine work on this.
I'm speechless with pure joy.

:puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gawsh! Aw shucks...
Glad you like it! There is a lot to absorb, and every collector of GBD, City de Luxe, Dr Plumb, and Ropp should have a copy.
One thing that surprised me was the name of one of the makers of lighters included in the catalog, Thorens! I'm familiar with Thorens as a maker of ultra high quality audiophile equipment. What a fun surprise to find them here!

May 31, 2012
I absolutely love it!
The clarity and resolution is so damn good it makes me feel like I'm holding it in my hands,

seriously good stuff.

:clap:
Thorens makes some badass phonographs!
...and their lighters were pretty nice too.
In the catalog is featured what looks like a Teleflam lighter, which was a special design for pipesmokers and I've seen 'em sell for $250 - $600 as they seem to be rare and highly sought after by a large throng of lighter collectors...
...speaking of large throngs,

the Teleflam almost looks obscene and if one of those people who go looking for phallic symbols everywhere saw it they would surely say it's a flaming metaphor of booshwah patriarchy or something, like another tender tinder-pistol shooting off subtle destructive microaggressions of subliminal cultural conditioning, or whatever,

LOL!
Here's the Teleflam:
w2Q2yXD.jpg

yYpHXFt.jpg
Also notable and stokeworthy was seeing the Wyvern smokers pencil on p.71,

very cool!
I've always wanted one of those nifty 'lil things...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/things-that-you-want-but-dont-really-need
:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
...speaking of large throngs,

the Teleflam almost looks obscene and if one of those people who go looking for phallic symbols everywhere saw it they would surely say it's a flaming metaphor of booshwah patriarchy or something, like another tender tinder-pistol shooting off subtle destructive microaggressions of subliminal cultural conditioning, or whatever,

LOL!
That's a pretty flippant attitude towards masculine hegemony and microaggression. You are hereby sentenced to watch the following Sensitivity Training program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

Status
Not open for further replies.