PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Thought I'd open up a new thread about this as it is a different topic from the thread it originated in,

which was here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-gbd-collectors-thread/page/2#post-909685
Buroak conjured a brilliant strategy for obtaining highly priced old pipe catalogs,

which is to have a pool of interested collectors all throw in together and reap the collective benefits.
At this stage it is in rough sketch formation mode,

but we can work out the details as we go along.
Points such as,

should we discuss things openly or privately etc etc
And,

personally, I'd like to have a catchy name too! :D
Just for fun and to add some flavor.
Anyways,

this thread is a "sign up sheet" for interested collectors,

add your name if you'd like to join such a group.
In essence,

we'd probably be focused on older British catalogs, for example like the Oppenheimer example from the GBD thread which sells for $150,

if we had 10 people in the group that'd equate to $15 each,

Al has been designated as the Keeper of the Tomes and I believe he can make pdf copies for distribution amongst the group, this and other small details are just now in the germination stage,

but I'd love to see Buroak's wonderful idea give birth and really come to life!
Jolly Smoggo!

:puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
CREEP - Corking Righteous Ecclesia EPhemera
The Dust Collectors -- Although that might more rightly belong to the splinter group who chases cutter top tins, unopened, on eBay. 8O

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
Mr tvf seems to have a lot of neat stuff, I'm more than happy to contribute.
Walter

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Obviously I am in, too. My original idea has been well explained by MLC. The key points requiring agreement will be:
1. Who collects the funds and makes purchases

2. Who holds the original documents and makes/distributes copies

3. What form copies will take

4. Whether and for how much we will sell additional copies outside of the initial buy-in pool

5. What will be done with proceeds from future sales
The purchaser, holder, and distributor should probably be one person. The work required of that person might be sufficient justification for their being allowed to hold the originals, but maybe not. Copies should probably be digital only. I think we should sell additional copies at some fraction of the buy-in price, with proceeds entrusted to the buyer. The proceeds could be used for future purchases agreed by pool members.
I imagine we may want to maintain separate pools for each catalog. Partly to keep this from going the way of Poland's early democracy, and partly to allow for different pools to build the collections of greatest interest to them. For example, I am happy to chip in for the purchase of the Oppenheimer catalog, but I would also like to acquire the Civic and Yello Bole catalogs. Not everyone may be interested in making the same acquisitions.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
By the way, I like Pipes Ephemera Syndicate. We may not want to tie the Pipesmagazine name to our venture, if for no other reason than that Kevin may not want us to look like an official part of the site.

May 31, 2012
Most excellent points Buroak.
We need to make haste as well, considering what's on the block at the moment now doesn't exactly come around very often, tomorrow I'll contact the seller and inquire about other publications he may have that he hinted to in the description,

unless someone here already has asked?
I'm quite excited by the possibilities with a group project such as this.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have not asked. I am curious as to what other treasures are lurking.
Is there any interest in the Civic or Yello Bole catalogs?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As we form a pool or pools, we should also talk offers on the catalog(s) currently under discussion. If we link purchases conditional on total price, we will have more clout.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in for sure. I am opening six restaurants over the next four months, so at times, I maybe out of pocket. I can scan/print copies and GBC bind them for members but I'm not sure I should be the keeper of the library. Perhaps someone in the central US (I live in MD)?

May 31, 2012
Al,

if you'd rather not be the Keeper,

then perhaps Sablebrush52 would accept the position?
Not only is he an ultrafine artist, but his deep love for such things was so adeptly displayed by the attentive care he took with the incredible old Barling catalog facsimile that was so lovingly reproduced - his eye is good, his heart is strong, his intellect is sharp, and I think he has leadership abilities which could pull us all together as a proper team to quickly and decidedly navigate our actions, which may be crucial for a loose confederacy such as this.

:idea:

What say you Sable?

:)
I do realize that the position entails a certain responsibility and extra work beyond just being a cash donor,

but if we can get the issue settled in short order, we'd be prime for the pump on what's there right now,

it may be a difficult decision though, and one not taken lightly,

so here we are.
I know we can sort things out and make this group happen!

May 31, 2012
Is there any interest in the Civic or Yello Bole catalogs?
I have a definite interest in the Civic catalog.
Would be a player on the Yello-Bole example if enough people are willing to go in as to make the price reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.