PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
If anyone else may be interested in the The Episodes of Ebenezer Phizzletop,

I am definitely up for it.
Noticed the bookseller has an eBay listing with cheaper price,

and open for offers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301851966298?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Should I be talking about such things publicly?
Would like to open a dialogue regarding such matters.
Hopefully, we can refine our strategies and become a well-oiled machine.

:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sable would be an excellent keeper of the catalogs. I would gladly do it, but I think we need someone of his reputation to ensure pool members' trust. I also know that I no longer have ready access to the kind of scanning equipment needed for this project.
I would also chip in on Phizzletop.

Hopefully, we can refine our strategies and become a well-oiled machine.

[:puffy:]
And quickly! If we doubt our ability to get our act together, perhaps someone should reach out to Gary Schrier.

May 31, 2012
And quickly! If we doubt our ability to get our act together, perhaps someone should reach out to Gary Schrier.
I agree.
The genesis of such a group was spurred by an unusual lot of available older catalogs,

not an everyday occurrence and the likes of which rarely show up.
They could disappear at any moment.
And,

great suggestion referring to Briar Books Press,

the importance of Gary's noble endeavor cannot be overstated as to just how crucial his publishing house is,

the possibilities for future editions is very exciting.
I would likely still buy a paperbound edition from BBP even if I had a digital copy.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
So far, just the English stuff (including Phizzletop) could cost any pool over $325. We are going to have to figure out what is possible.

May 31, 2012
I will be a diligent scout for such tomes,

sometimes they pop up in the most unexpected of places...
...this old Missouri Meerschaum catalog sold for around $135 just several days ago:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-CATALOGUE-XIXe-de-CORN-COB-PIPES-TIBBES-MISSOURI-MEERSCHAUM-U-S-A-/361477926506?hash=item5429c36e6a%3Ag%3AIUEAAOSwzhVWqPKv&nma=true&si=j81fJL3WTKrmJNAJZqaw0cCxGDQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
...note the BBB bulldog,

I thought that was really cool!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
MLC, You should be our official scout. Nobody else has near the nose for this stuff.
The old Corndogs are great. I am lucky enough to have one, and it is among my favorites to just stare at.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Shotime, Glad to have more interested parties. I hope we will be able to get this going in short order.

May 31, 2012
Sounds good to me if it sounds good to the others.
Glad to hear it.
Brings up another question,

do we vote or what?
If so,

I'm going with D.J. Trump! :)
Just kidding.
Glad to see things coalescing here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A lot of good points have been made here.
Keeping the copies as digital PDFs of scanned pages is the way to go. Printing this stuff, unless you send it to China, is a money sink. There just isn't that much interest in this arcana. To give you an example, I've probably sold around 100 copies of the Barling Catalog in the years that I've made it available. If I don't count my labor in producing the facsimile I've just about broken even. But then, I printed in the US. There is barely zero money in it.
You do this to spread about information and to satisfy your curiosity. That's the only good reason to do this.

May 31, 2012
Yes,

PDF makes the most sense definitely.
Too bad all you have access to are crappy lo-res scanners,

I'm going back to D.J.T.! :wink:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Which reminds me...Buroak, how did that Florida swampland that I sold you work out for you?
D.J. Trump used eminent domain to seize it, so I'll never know.
PDF is my preference. The only alternative I could see would be trying to self-publish it for Kindle to provide better protection against free riders. I have no idea how that would work.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
This may not be doable but once it is in pdf. how much trouble/effort would it be to copy to a CD?

Where do I send my check?
Walter

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
We may want to rethink the whole thing. This is how catalog fans end up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWpHTafYuA

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think we're safe Buroak... I wouldn't be caught dead in a Starbucks.
I'm with Walter... Where do I send my cheque?
I am also more than ok with Jesse being the company archivist.
I'm also very happy with .pdfs we could load up into a Google.doc account, or Dropbox, or simply send out to folks on flash drives.
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Too bad all you have access to are crappy lo-res scanners,
Ahem...I scanned the Barling catalog on my scanner, an Epson V600 Photo, at 1200ppi in 48 bit color. Each scanned page was about 860mb.
Before Greg Pease bought his copy, he asked for my scanning and printing specs. I answered him. Evidently my approach was - how shall I say it in properly understated tone - acceptable...
That would be for an archive copy. A good looking digital PDF would be made from a reduction, or the size of the PDF would be too large for most computers to handle. I'd probably drop it to about 120ppi for the PDF.
BTW, I'm pledging $100 toward the purchase fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.